What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

I have no issue (in theory) with our protagonist being this Cole Young, as long as the actual game characters are handled well, and given some dimension to their personalities. This film doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to point this franchise in the right direction.
The trailer gives me some hope that it will be.

Here is what fights we officially have so far:

*Hanzo Hasashi - Bi Han & Lin Kuei extras (opening scene)
*Scorpion/Cole - SubZero
*Jax/Special forces extras - SubZero (the Brazil mission mentioned in the trailer in which Jax loses his arms)
*Kabal - Liu Kang (flaming dragon might possibly not be a fatality but the origin of Kabal's burnt skin)
*Sonya/Cole - Mileena
*Cole - Goro
*Kung Lao-Cole & Kano-Sonya training in Raiden's temple.
*Kano/Cole/Sonya - Reptile. Although I really hope the victim of Kano's heart rip fatality is just a generic Reptilian, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case and it's actually Reptile himself.

Also, some predictions:
*That lazer beam that Kung Lao deflects with his hat might possibly be the moment that Kano turns against the good guys. That, or just those two characters' egos collided and Kano got mad, leading to Kung Lao showing off his skills.

*Another moment in the trailer where Mileena licks some blood of her sai might be a victory of the Outworlders. That, or it's sonya's blood from her fight against mileena.

*I think it's safe to say that Nitara is getting offed by someone (possibly even not from the earthrealm guys).

*In order for Goro's presence to be epic, I think its safe to say that he'll put down at least one "good guy". Also , during his fight with Cole, I'm willing to bet there will be a Kung Lao tag-team in there. :)

*I don't think we'll see Raiden fight and I really hope we'll see that Liu-Shang match.

What do you guys think ?
You can also see Jax about to do his headclap fatality on Reiko

ΜΚ movie cast reactions.

The actor portraying Raiden, Tadanobu Asano, has expressively, very, very happy reactions to it.
ΕDIT: Towards the end of the video Todd Garner says that they flipped the Kano laser beam for the trailer, so it's not his left eye that shoots it.
ALSO!! Ludi Lin asks Max Huang (Kung Lao) to play the MK theme on his keyboards at 05:05

Last edited:
I have no issue (in theory) with our protagonist being this Cole Young, as long as the actual game characters are handled well, and given some dimension to their personalities. This film doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to point this franchise in the right direction.
The trailer gives me some hope that it will be.
I think at this point its all but confirmed Cole Young is Kuai Liang. Even if you ignore his red herring of a name, the Sub Zero of this movie is evil. He's going to die at some point. And you aren't going to have future MK movies without a Sub Zero.

ΜΚ movie cast reactions.

The actor portraying Raiden, Tadanobu Asano, has expressively, very, very happy reactions to it.
ΕDIT: Towards the end of the video Todd Garner says that they flipped the Kano laser beam for the trailer, so it's not his left eye that shoots it.
ALSO!! Ludi Lin asks Max Huang (Kung Lao) to play the MK theme on his keyboards at 05:05
Love seeing them cheer up in this trailer. Gives me hope that the movie will be good :)

Very nice indeed, great to finally see Kabal plus we even get a somewhat better look at Cole's armour in that shot too.

Shang looks weirdly young in that picture
Chin Han's 51 so it's just good genes, he's only 3 years younger than Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa was when he starred in MK95. In fact his smooth face and long thick ornate hair here just adds to a slightly supernaturally eerie appearance that for me really recalls the creepiness of Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Little China.

Besides, the character's looked far younger before, Shang Tsung's actor for MK2 was only 28:

Last edited: