What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

I really hope it's good. I just want something I look forward to in this year to pay off in any way.
But I've heard about Cole Turner and rumors of Marvel style copycatting and I remain cautiously optimistic.

Nice, looking forward to it.

It may be rubbish but still looking forward to finally getting a new film after all those years of following the development hell of Devastation 20-odd years ago.

I’m just looking forward to finally seeing something new again, having optimism as I feel it’s important we support these endeavours as fans so we receive more media productions in the future, just without investing too much hope :cool:

Last edited:
Not even Ed Boon is saying or helping to promote anything about this movie - i am afraid its gonna be awful, especially with all those D list actors/actresses...
It's being produced by James Wan who has both horror movie chops and a big action movie under his belt with Aquaman. If there is anyone who can combine action and gore like we'd want a MK movie to, it'd be him.

It's being produced by James Wan who has both horror movie chops and a big action movie under his belt with Aquaman. If there is anyone who can combine action and gore like we'd want a MK movie to, it'd be him.
From what I underestand...he is not really overseeing it personally. It's his company that's producing it. Some guy called Todd Garner is the producer heavily involved.

Last edited:
Glad we re all on the same page when it comes to the overall hype for this thing. Good thing when expectations are low is that sometimes, just sometimes it might surprise us, lul.

This is almost sure to be a festering turd of a movie that changes everything you love about the lore of Mortal Kombat. It's being made by New Line, which is a subsidiary of WB, so you can most likely look to WB superhero franchises to see what's in store.

That said, New Line does have a pretty fun track record, including oddballs like the 1981 live action Guyver movie. If WB can keep their stink off the movie and let the creators have fun creating a movie they believe in, then maybe we'll get something fun and memorable.

Ohhhhhhh ok, so the thread is over in this section, and not allowed in the MK11 section. :p

Anyways...I'm hoping the film will be better sounding than some of what I heard it may be, and that there will be better character development for the MK characters.

Even in the original MK movie they coulda added a sentence that Scorpion blamed Sub Zero for his family's deaths, but didn't. But the rest of the film made up for such things. :D

I'm skeptical of the Cole character concept...I would have gone with an MK character if the idea was to not has Liuuuuu! as the main hero again. :D

Not even Ed Boon is saying or helping to promote anything about this movie - i am afraid its gonna be awful, especially with all those D list actors/actresses...
Oh he'll do something next year, closer to the date.

WB will command! :D

If the film matches the original, or matches the cheesiness of the 2nd, or the SF movie...it'll be something. As opposed to that DOA movie... :eek:

In terms of cast, even the so-called "Double Dragon" movie at least had the T-1000 as the villain. :p too bad MK couldn't get something like that....somebody, hrm.

wasn't the cole turner shit an early script leak?
...or is it still a thing?
shudders
I think it's still in...maybe that Lewis Tan dude plays him. His role is undisclosed still.

If the Cole guy is in, it's not known who plays him...

No official synopsis.
No promo stills.
No full cast list.
No teaser.
No trailer.
Meanwhile, every other film WB has on their 2021 slate has some or all of the above.
Yeah, this movie is going to be great. :coffee:
Ohohohohoho....some of those will happen in January tho. :p