What's new

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms trailer

Art Lean

Noob
Story may be fun.
Shame about the art.
Totally agree. Really enjoyed the first one, but wasn't much of a fan of how it looked either and obviously the sequel's in exactly the same style. Yes the animation and backgrounds are a lot better, but to be honest the character design/art style of these two films really is actually very similar to Defenders of the Realm (dunno, maybe that was intentional as a homage?).

The animation style is probably very cost effective if they plan to dish this out every year. The art style grew on me really fast. Not so bothered by it. The movie looks really fun.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
but to be honest the character design/art style of these two films really is actually very similar to Defenders of the Realm (dunno, maybe that was intentional as a homage?).
I think it's just how DC animated movies have been looking like for some years now.

Art Lean

Noob
I think it's just how DC animated movies have been looking like for some years now.

Hmm I guess, but I personally do see a lot of similarity with both Defenders of the Realm and Scorpion's Revenge (especially on the final episode of Defenders called 'Overthrown' where a different animation studio came in to send the show off with a bit more of a bang and really upped the quality of its animation for that finale).

If someone was to tell me the below were all from the same artists (albeit with a larger budget at their disposal), I'd honestly never doubt them, indeed Defenders' Scorpion and Revenge's Sub Zero could easily being squaring off together in the same production when put side by side for comparison as follows. And I guess that for me was the disappointment on an art style front with Revenge; after 25 years, I wasn't expecting something that looked so visually reminiscent of Defenders of the Realm (not that I'm debating the quality of the movie itself, just as Swindle said, its art style). But then again, maybe that was intentional and maintains more in-universe franchise consistency?

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
In fact I dare say, I actually REALLY don't like how Scorpion looks in Scorpions' Revenge. The way his mask looks like a big grinning Busey-toothed mouth combined with his big dumb rock-monster eyebrows reminds me of the crappy Skeletor in the New Adventures of He-Man, and ever since I noticed that I can't unsee it :oops:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
In fact I dare say, I actually REALLY don't like how Scorpion looks in Scorpions' Revenge. The way his mask looks like a big grinning Busey-toothed mouth combined with his big dumb rock-monster eyebrows reminds me of the crappy Skeletor in the New Adventures of He-Man, and ever since I noticed that I can't unsee it :oops:

View attachment 18251
I don't hate the art style, but I think Scorpion was one of the worst looking characters in the movie. I really dislike his mask and his brows.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
My only real notable complaint on the art is why EVERYONE has such a huge, square chin. Even the women do.

Outside of knowing this is Kitana and seeing the larger picture to see she has a thin frame and breasts, this really just looks like a man with longer hair.

Literally everyone has a big ass square chin.

Everyone out here lookin like this fuckin meme of a man:

Art Lean

Noob
My only real notable complaint on the art is why EVERYONE has such a huge, square chin. Even the women do.

View attachment 18252
Outside of knowing this is Kitana and seeing the larger picture to see she has a thin frame and breasts, this really just looks like a man with longer hair.

View attachment 18253
Literally everyone has a big ass square chin.

Everyone out here lookin like this fuckin meme of a man:
View attachment 18254
Well that indeed was one of the exact things I was attempting to draw comparison to with Defenders of the Realm and why they look so reminiscent of one another.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Epic! It's nice to see characters like D'vorah and Jade in. I also really, really dig the art style. It's like a mix between cartoon and anime. The first movie was great but it seemed a bit on the short side, can't wait for this.