What's new

Mortal Kombat 2 - 20th Anniversary

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
This year marks the 20th anniversary of one of the most successful fighting games/franchises of all time. Last year I built an upper aux monitor to commemorate the 20th of MK1. This year it's MK2. When I broke everything down and moved the machines from where they were to where they are now after remodeling my house, I never re-used the upper aux monitor for the MK1. It just went into storage. I originally built it not just to commemorate the anniversary, but also to give my nostalgia a "fix" as it were because I was 13/14 when MK1/MK2 came out and I have very fond memories of standing about 4 rows of people back and having to watch the upper monitor that the operator had installed to see the action. Good times, so I wanted to recreate them to the best of my ability.

I got a hair up my rear end today to install the aux monitor on the MK2 for it's 20th. So, here it is. Took a while to get all the colors adjusted because when you split the signals, you're dropping their strength in about half, so you can't just turn up the contrast/brightness of the aux monitor. You have to adjust all the RGB pots as well. This is about as good/close as I can get. It looks better in person, but doesn't even compare to the badass-ness of the 24.8" Makvision I have in the actual cab. Anyway, here are the pics. Opinions?...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Awesome. Brings me back to that time, although the monitors used on all the cabs here weren't that big haha. The first time I ever saw a MKII cab with one was the day I won my first ever MKII tourney at a local place here called Malibu Grand Prix. I still to this have never seen as many people around a cab like it was in MKII's heyday. Good times, good times. Amazing stuff, as usual Mike!!

Sent from The Turk

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
you guys trying to make a grown man cry here?
I proudly admit to living in the 90s, and those MK2 pics and that arcade video just give me confirmation I need- that time period actually existed.
Millions of people used to play MK2... probably because people were different (smarter) back then, so what was popular was amazing (Nirvana vs Bieber for example).
Early-mid 90s have become almost mythical in my mind, so it's always nice to see these things that can take you back there.

very very nice. and i agree no matter where you went to play mk2 there was always a line. the best day ever that me and my bud had was walking into the arcade with 20 between us to play mk2 and walking out with 100 each hehe man those were fun days

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Great, great job! I never saw an arcade game with an extra upper monitor, but yeah, the game was huge, so many people watching!

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Wow man love your pics! i was born in 78, so i grew up with all the mk's too. So much nostalgia in these games. loved them!