What's new

Mortal Kombat 12 Story (poll) (spoilers about MK11)

In what era will the next MK game take place ?

• Total voters

ItsYaBoi

Noob
What will most likely happen: the timeline is restored to before Kronika causes fuckery, thus rendering MK11 pointless barring Elder God Liu Kang and mortal Raiden still being a thing.

What I didn’t realise I wanted: an MK in ancient times. God damn, such potential. Mind is going crazy at the opportunities.

What I still actually want: for the timeline to be restored to any point after the original trilogy, with the next game having a more toned down story. By that I mean less Armageddon like scenarios and multiple armies going at it, and preferably going back to a tournament format with the story extending beyond that by showing fallout/consequences of the tournament. A tournament hosted in the Order or Chaos realms would be awesome. Get a bunch of the good 3D characters in there and flesh out those realms. Make Outworld purple again ffs, and less of the Netherrealm. I loved the Netherrealm when it was more mysterious and hardly explored, but both MKX and MK11 rinsed it and showed it to be nothing more than a hell with generic demons. No more revenant bullshit as well, for the love of god.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
With an ending like that and assuming the new game will come out a couple years away I think the soft reboot is the only sensible choice.

• Continuing the story from this ending means going into straight high concept fantasy sci-fi and I don't think it's a good fit for MK. And it would be a retreading of this game plot, which time-travel and retcons caused more plot holes than anything.
  • revisiting the MK 1-2-3 story a third time would be overkill.
  • accepting it's a new timeline and starting again anew from the Great Kung Lao era (like they did in Conquest) is a really good idea. You're not tied to the original continuity so it's not a straight prequel but you can do something focused and grounded that brings back MK to the "martial arts tournament with dark fantasy overtones" setting we all fell in love with. You can still use a lot of characters or at least past versions of them but at least it would be something fresh, kinda like they did with MK9.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think if they’re going to make another game down the road, they may pass the torch this time around. To me that’s what this whole re writing history in the end meant. Characters we know may play a role im the story but I would be surprised if they’re in. MK12, Scorpion and Sub are DLC.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Im honestly at the point of Great Kung Lao being like Half-Life 3. He was so anticipated and talked about for a long time that there is no way he'll live up to the hype. Though next story I would like to see an Onaga arc, especially since the elder gods are outta commision. Do it like Infinity War and have him and his lackies go through the realms collecting the Kamidogu (this will actually have the villains win some fucking fights for once). Maybe have a One Being Infused Onaga as the boss fight, distorting reality and what not since I think thats all you can do after the last boss was a time manipulator. Beating him will finally truly seperate the conquered realms from Outworld (which I reaaaallly wanna see). I really wanna see Onaga make a comeback, he has so much potential

leoj89

Noob
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the ancient stuff . It'd be cool to see how creative they could get with everything. Is there a lore god in da house ? I'm curious about when the Great Kung Lao won his tournament.

leoj89

Noob
Im honestly at the point of Great Kung Lao being like Half-Life 3. He was so anticipated and talked about for a long time that there is no way he'll live up to the hype. Though next story I would like to see an Onaga arc, especially since the elder gods are outta commision. Do it like Infinity War and have him and his lackies go through the realms collecting the Kamidogu (this will actually have the villains win some fucking fights for once). Maybe have a One Being Infused Onaga as the boss fight, distorting reality and what not since I think thats all you can do after the last boss was a time manipulator. Beating him will finally truly seperate the conquered realms from Outworld (which I reaaaallly wanna see). I really wanna see Onaga make a comeback, he has so much potential
I was never the biggest fan of the Dragon King but I wouldnt be mad if NRS just straight up ripped off IW / Endgame.

Bliss

Noob
Ancient times. It'd be cool to see Reptile as a dinosaur before he evolved into what he is today. :DOGE

Gamer68

Fujin!
I doubt they would go as far back as the Ancient Times. I think most characters we know and love didn't exist then, so we would be saying bye to even bigger names like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya, etc. Sure, they could make "replacements" but no one likes that. See: SoulCalibur V and how it introduced a bunch of new fighters to fill old roles.

We also don't need to go back to the Trilogy era. MK9 only did that because they needed a reboot after Armageddon. Like how do you go from there when everyone is dead? How do you bring back 2D? How do revert the whole "this is the last MK" thing? They NEEDED to start over with an MK1-MK3 retelling. There is no reason to do a complete reboot again this early.

I think we will skip ahead to the Kombat Kid-era, but a ton of stuff will be different:
  • The Great Kung Lao was never defeated in Mortal Kombat.
  • Onaga and Shao Kahn were never Emperors.
  • Edenia, Zaterra, etc, are never merged with (or "consumed" by) Outworld.
  • King Jerrod was never killed and Sindel was never corrupted, they still rule Edenia together.
  • The Tarkata and Kytinn aren't as fucked up, they are actually respected.
  • Reptile isn't the last Saurian anymore.
  • The Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu do not become rivals and Scorpion never loses his family.
  • The Black Dragon and Red Dragon don't form, or if they do it's under different circumstances.
  • Earthrealm is never invaded.
  • The Kombat Kids still end up existing.
  • Blaze and Armageddon never happen.
  • Shinnok, Cetrion, and Kronika no longer exist -- obviously.
Basically, a bunch of good stuff will happen and the timeline will be cleansed of all evil in a way, until a brand new evil appears and fucks everything up.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
Well we do have a couple hints via dialogue.

Raiden x Cetrion (dialogue is pre/mid story)
Cetrion: Mother must finish her work
Raiden: To what end?
Cetrion: Without her a greater evil will rise

Raiden x D'Vorah (dialogue is post story)
D'Vorah: Kronika lives
Raiden: I watched her die
D'Vorah: Is that what you believe?

So the intro banter to fights is a mix of Pre, Mid, and Post story banter. This can be seen clearly with Baraka vs Jade as some of their banter is before she turns on Kotal to help Baraka and some is after. You can usually tell when the banter is taking place fairly easily.

We also have some clues from tower endings.

Sonya.
In her ending we see Lovecraft type monsters that devourer universes. (Perhaps the greater evil that Cetrion mentions)

Scorpion.
In his ending we see more of Kronika's species and learn they are called titans. Older and more powerful than the gods and elder gods.

Liu Kang.
In his ending we see him divide Kronika's power amongst Himself, Kitana, Raiden, and Kung Lao to create a new council of Elder Gods. He basically put things back the way they were but no one died.

All of these things imply the story is going forward not backward. Besides, I can't picture MK without Cassie or Kotal now. They are mainstays now in my opinion.

I think we'll move forward using bits from these three tower endings in someway. Next baddie is another Titan or one of these Lovecraft Horrors or the One Being... since ya know the Elder Gods are gone.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Saddest thing is... this story sounds awesome.

And it's not what we're gonna get.