What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Tanya face model found - Sydney Cross

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The model is very pretty and she looks cool in the game.

I have no idea wtf some of you are on about. Not every female character in every game exists solely to sexually excite you personally.
I was waiting for this comment, no one said so. Tanya just looks bizarre and doesn’t look like her face model even.

Wanting a character to look good doesn’t mean you have cum brain. I’m a straight married man and I’m glad Sub-Zero is a jacked good looking dude because part of games is a power fantasy / escapism, who the fuck wants to play as a regular looking person? When I played with my wife, guess which character she gravitated towards - Kitana. Why? She said it’s cause she’s pretty and looks badass, every single character aside from ones that are monsters like Baraka should be pleasing to look at. Being sexualized and nice to look at are different things. If they released a version of Liu Kang that looked nothing like previous versions and barely resembled the face model, it would strike people as odd for sure. It’s not like people are in here asking why she doesn’t have a bigger rack or more exposed skin, it’s just about how she looks so different than her model who actually looks like a great fit for Tanya.

The character models in the RE4 remake closely resemble their face models. So either Capcom is just better at utilizing this technology than NRS (which is entirely possible) or they made a concerted effort to make her look worse which is strange to me.

Last edited:

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I'm obviously not turned on by something animated or a video game ... but let's be real...MK11 had very realistic/ideal bodies for most of the human-like characters. I mean...default Kano skin I would easily let S*** on my face if a man looked like that. I'm sure if many of the females in human form the straight men would not be like ...ewww....get away. Earlier games where Sonya wore a thong and Mileena had her underboob top was just downright silly.

Cicada 5

Noob
I was waiting for this comment, no one said so.
Yeah, they have. Especially on this site.

Tanya just looks bizarre and doesn’t look like her face model even.
People are saying this based on a close up of her face when she looks angry and intense, which would make anyone look unpleasant.

Wanting a character to look good doesn’t mean you have cum brain.
We are talking about video game fans here. Let's not ignore how these guys react every time a company decides to give female characters more modest designs (that don't actually take away from their sex appeal).

I agree that being sexualized and nice to look at are different things. But we all know that the people complaining about Tanya's design are the ones that haven't grasped that concept.

It’s not like people are in here asking why she doesn’t have a bigger rack or more exposed skin,

True. They're saving those flattering comments for Li Mei.

it’s just about how she looks so different than her model who actually looks like a great fit for Tanya.
This has gone way beyond pointing out they look different. And she is far from the only character in these games whose in-game design does not completely match up with their model.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, they have. Especially on this site.

People are saying this based on a close up of her face when she looks angry and intense, which would make anyone look unpleasant.

We are talking about video game fans here. Let's not ignore how these guys react every time a company decides to give female characters more modest designs (that don't actually take away from their sex appeal).

I agree that being sexualized and nice to look at are different things. But we all know that the people complaining about Tanya's design are the ones that haven't grasped that concept.

True. They're saving those flattering comments for Li Mei.

This has gone way beyond pointing out they look different. And she is far from the only character in these games whose in-game design does not completely match up with their model.
If you don’t wanna read all this shit, and I wouldn’t blame you: I agree with you but I’m not defending the coomer arguments, I’m arguing that people who are bitching about Tanya shouldn’t automatically be lumped in with the coomers like the comment I originally quoted.

1. Yes there are people who want her to be pure eye candy so I shouldn’t have said “no one”. I should have said no one worth taking seriously.

2. It could be that she is looking like that from her expression. A lot of the designs I like best like Sub and Kitana have their faces covered. I still think that if she more closely resembled her model it would be better though.

3. Yep, the gaming community can be pretty degenerate in this way. My post was defending the argument it’s self that people should be able to say they don’t like this design or wish she looked more like her model, not the people who think it should be like MK9 female designs or else. So I agree with you again and wasn’t intending to argue about that. Like I said, I shouldn’t have made a generalization like “nobody wants her to be pure eye candy” because you’re correct that some people do.

4. See we are in agreement that looking nice doesn’t mean being sexualized, but I don’t think that everyone complaining about Tanya doesn’t get this. Maybe even the majority don’t get it, but once again it’s best to avoid the headache with them.

5. As for Li Mei, yeah that doesn’t surprise me unfortunately. I think she looks pretty cool.

6. And true, other characters don’t completely match their face, but I think this is the biggest example of it being such a clear downgrade. The woman she is based off looks like she could play Tanya in a movie purely on looks at least. I have more issues with her design than the face though frankly, she could lose the head piece and collar, and the shoulder pieces and straps don’t match the rest of the look imo. Kitana also has a pretty busy design but it is more cohesive to me.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I was waiting for this comment, no one said so. Tanya just looks bizarre and doesn’t look like her face model even.

Wanting a character to look good doesn’t mean you have cum brain. I’m a straight married man and I’m glad Sub-Zero is a jacked good looking dude because part of games is a power fantasy / escapism, who the fuck wants to play as a regular looking person? When I played with my wife, guess which character she gravitated towards - Kitana. Why? She said it’s cause she’s pretty and looks badass, every single character aside from ones that are monsters like Baraka should be pleasing to look at. Being sexualized and nice to look at are different things. If they released a version of Liu Kang that looked nothing like previous versions and barely resembled the face model, it would strike people as odd for sure. It’s not like people are in here asking why she doesn’t have a bigger rack or more exposed skin, it’s just about how she looks so different than her model who actually looks like a great fit for Tanya.

The character models in the RE4 remake closely resemble their face models. So either Capcom is just better at utilizing this technology than NRS (which is entirely possible) or they made a concerted effort to make her look worse which is strange to me.
You can't really say she doesn't look like her face model when:

A) The first shot is of her threatening Li Mei and she obviously looks angry. No one looks pretty when they're angry.

B) The only other shot we have has her face obscured by shadow and dark lighting.

Y'all are tripping about Tanya.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
In a game where you have Tarkatans, centaurs, and four armed half-dragon men, you think Tanya looks bizarre.

Hmmm.

I'm gay. Can I complain that she looks ugly in-game?
Only if you want a lengthy essay about misogyny, so-called acceptable femininity, the unrealistic expectations placed on women by members of the gay community, and the vicious side of stanning. I'd have to write that essay first, so please don't complain.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

Remember WoWo!!

In all serious, there are a lot of factors here... I'm not sure that it is unreasonable to that, it seems, many people dislike her face. Go watch some "reacts" like say Forever King and just watch his face on her face reveal...

That bring said this is super Beta... the distortion in the face is probably due to how the bones are being used, not 100% finalised animation, without tweaking giving strange deforms, not finalised lighting... and also strait up.. might not be final model. Plus she is grimacing and stuff an anger. Think of ant actor you think is a babe.. and skow mo them... you can find horrid stills... ..

This still render, probably strait off the artists workstation... looks fine, look good... great to me. I think this is more representative of what it will look like when done.

Last edited:

xX_APO_Prince_Xx

I need no further sophistication.
There's still time so maybe they'll refine the model before release. Imo I like the face, the face model they used for reference is beautiful but maybe it doesn't translate well in game but tbh, I feel like quality of the female faces is somewhat lower in MK1 in general compared to MK11

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Only if you want a lengthy essay about misogyny, so-called acceptable femininity, the unrealistic expectations placed on women by members of the gay community, and the vicious side of stanning. I'd have to write that essay first, so please don't complain.

Hahahaha. She looks ugly. Now go write.

Honestly though, I feel most people here, or who knows, maybe it's just me, but anyways, complaints are not done in a vacuum, if this lady was wearing a brown outfit, had been named Kamilla, and didn't have that drill move, 90% of the people wouldn't complain. I personally would think she looks great. The thing is, she's not Kamila, she's Tanya, so all complaints go tied to the fact that she doesn't look anything like Tanya. It's not a "look how ugly this chick", it's more like "why is Tanya ugly, when she used to be pretty, why is she old when she used to be old, why is she loyal when she was selfish and treacherous, why is she serious when she used to be playfully bitchy?"

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Hahahaha. She looks ugly. Now go write.

Honestly though, I feel most people here, or who knows, maybe it's just me, but anyways, complaints are not done in a vacuum, if this lady was wearing a brown outfit, had been named Kamilla, and didn't have that drill move, 90% of the people wouldn't complain. I personally would think she looks great. The thing is, she's not Kamila, she's Tanya, so all complaints go tied to the fact that she doesn't look anything like Tanya. It's not a "look how ugly this chick", it's more like "why is Tanya ugly, when she used to be pretty, why is she old when she used to be old, why is she loyal when she was selfish and treacherous, why is she serious when she used to be playfully bitchy?"
It's a New Era. It's the concept of MK1.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Honestly though, I feel most people here, or who knows, maybe it's just me, but anyways, complaints are not done in a vacuum, if this lady was wearing a brown outfit, had been named Kamilla, and didn't have that drill move, 90% of the people wouldn't complain. I personally would think she looks great. The thing is, she's not Kamila, she's Tanya, so all complaints go tied to the fact that she doesn't look anything like Tanya.
You should probably keep the tagline 'Fight through a brand new story featuring your favorite Mortal Kombat characters like you’ve never seen them before ' in mind before you get too critical.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
You can't really say she doesn't look like her face model when:

A) The first shot is of her threatening Li Mei and she obviously looks angry. No one looks pretty when they're angry.

B) The only other shot we have has her face obscured by shadow and dark lighting.

Y'all are tripping about Tanya.
Fair points, I already admitted that her face could look better in the game as a whole. But as I said to the other guy, I have more issues with her design than the face

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In a game where you have Tarkatans, centaurs, and four armed half-dragon men, you think Tanya looks bizarre.

Hmmm.

I meant bizarre when compared to her pretty model, or bizarre when compared to other versions of Tanya. But I know you already knew that when you wrote this comment, so what’s the point?

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Remember WoWo!!

In all serious, there are a lot of factors here... I'm not sure that it is unreasonable to that, it seems, many people dislike her face. Go watch some "reacts" like say Forever King and just watch his face on her face reveal...

That bring said this is super Beta... the distortion in the face is probably due to how the bones are being used, not 100% finalised animation, without tweaking giving strange deforms, not finalised lighting... and also strait up.. might not be final model. Plus she is grimacing and stuff an anger. Think of ant actor you think is a babe.. and skow mo them... you can find horrid stills... ..

This still render, probably strait off the artists workstation... looks fine, look good... great to me. I think this is more representative of what it will look like when done.
Notice Tanya's 'sword' and whip like weapon!

mrapchem

Noob
Wow, a Black female character that is now animated to be unambiguously Black...what a world we live in!

But aside from that, it seems clear that Tanya's outfit is drawing inspiration from historical African warrior outfits - from which group/time period, I couldn't tell you. Given the fact that she is exactly that - a Black Africanized warrior - I'm happy that,

a.) she's been given a clear and important role in this timeline rather than be a generic, do-nothing, deceptive bad guy and
b.) she doesn't exist as mere exotic eye-candy for the overwhelmingly male audience, a large chunk of whom are sex-starved whether by choice or circumstance

Now, are people allowed to dislike her new look? Certainly!
However, the reasons that people have historically disliked Black female characters' appearance/casting vary from mere boredom to people being dismayed that the character has evolved beyond having Euro-centric features/hair to being outright anti-woke/racist. Plus, all the ancillary reasons in between.

Thus, when a person says that they dislike Tanya's look in this game, there is absolutely a right to apply some side-eye skepticism to them because their reasons might indeed be the worst ones. Or they could be for the same reason(s) that I'm not a fan of Sub-Zero's man-bun - I happen to like my Bi-Hans fully masked!

Now about Tanya's hair....

Frankly, I love it! Finally, we have a well-animated Black woman's hairstyle in a Mortal Kombat game that again, is unambiguously Black. It appears to be a play on her hairstyle from MK4, except far better. Her hair is absolutely beautiful.

Tanya's hair is not only unique and pays homage to African warriors from antiquity, but it just looks damn good - several times better than the two-dimensional-charred-up-mozzarella sticks that Jacqui Briggs had in MK11.

However, Black women's hairstyles have been the subject of vile derision over the years, decades and centuries, even causing some Black women to lose their jobs and disturbing/destroying their self-image.

If you find yourself disliking Tanya's hair for reasons you can't readily explain or because it's not like the Europeanized styles that she's previously had, it might be worth examining to what extent you've internalized negative associations of Black female hairstyles.

These negative associations are present throughout America and the world and can be highly concentrated in various gaming communities on the internet. So, if you, for example, find yourself preferring that Black women have straight hair over braids/twists/locks or other traditionally Black styles, it doesn't make you racist/evil/bad, but it does mean that you have been the product of the society that you live in and haven't yet worked to reject those particular negative effects thereof.

To dislike a hairstyle because it's poorly-animated or because it doesn't fit the character is one thing, but to dislike it for reasons that you know would get you dragged is something else entirely. Tanya's hair fits her new role as a character and is well-made, so there's no issue in that capacity.

Virtually any other reason deserves scrutiny at a minimum and might need to be outright rejected at worst because it is rooted in anti-Blackness.

All-in-all, I've never came close to playing Tanya in any MK game. This time around, her appearance, story lore and most of all, her seemingly mid-screen-centric gameplay make me quite inclined to try her out and possibly make her one of my main characters. I love what she represents, how she represents it and am quite excited to see how else she differs from her past incarnations.