What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 - Takeda Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Frost can now set up an ice wall, meaning you can do corner combos midscreen - I' skeptical of how this might make her better, so Imma wait until the full patch notes. Sektor's homing missile now fires 2 missiles and Cyrax drops his bomb if he gets hit while setting it up. These aren't exactly game changing buffs they were hypeing, if I'm being honest.

These aren't exactly game changing buffs they were hypeing, if I'm being honest.
Eh, I went back and looked at Boon's tweets, and he was putting emphasis on the new main roster buffs as the big game changers. Kameo buffs he just mentioned as an example of what they were adding in general.

That being said, it is lame as hell not to throw the main roster buffs in the trailer. NRS loves not making the most of their opportunities lol

Mortal Kombat X was mentioned, I'm here.

MKX had balance patches. MK1 has balance Adjustments.

MKX also didn't have to keep characters weak so Khameleon didn't break them.

MKX also had a funny fart man.

MKX also had active community support and communication.

MKX had Takeda with woosh woosh swords.

MKX had respectable competitive entrants for it's time.

MKX was fast, Boi.

MKX was dark and spoopy.

MKX wasn't a quasi board game RPG with pallete swaps as unlockables. Bring back regular skins and pressing start for an alt color.

MKX was peak Mortal Kombat.

MK1 is okay though, I guess.

Edit: Takeda is cool, wish he had swords

Takeda looks amazing, oh my ! They truly saved the best for the last, he looks so flashier and good crazy than any other DLC released so far until now ! :laughing:

Most times, yes. But I always take the "super hype buffs" to be on par with Shinnok buffs from MKX. He went from bottom 10 to top 5 and I loved every second of it.

MKX had balance patches. MK1 has balance Adjustments.

How much did you enjoy MKX before the patches, though, and how does that compare to how much you enjoy MK1?

All I'm saying is if you're someone who's feeling mostly mid about a game, most of the time a Patch isn't going to change things for you, outside of taking a bottom 10 character to top 5, but that's statistically improbable, and really only makes a minority of people happy while pissing off others, so it's kind of a zero sum game.

How much did you enjoy MKX before the patches, though, and how does that compare to how much you enjoy MK1?

All I'm saying is if you're someone who's feeling mostly mid about a game, most of the time a Patch isn't going to change things for you, outside of taking a bottom 10 character to top 5, but that's statistically improbable, and really only makes a minority of people happy while pissing off others, so it's kind of a zero sum game.
Speaking only for myself here: I liked MKX before the patches and LOOOVED it after - specially after the netcode MKXL patch on PC. As for MK1, I liked it at launch and like it a little more now after the patches, I'm just missing the saucy MKX/MK9 radical adjustments.

I loved MKX day one. I was only disappointed in the more experimental variations being obviously ass. Hat Trick Lao, Dualist Liu, etc. They buffed those variations to casually usable and fixed the net code, so I loved it more.

That game had a high skill floor, casuals and scrubs had a hard time beating average players. I miss that. I do not like easy to play video games.

MK1 is passable and I do personally view it as extremely mid. I love the series and all, so I play it, and don't expect it to be catered to me or to be patched to be what I want, I'm not sure it's even possible without basically revamping core systems, but I really am hoping IJ3 or MK2/13 goes back to fast paced and cracked.

Edit: I kinda didn't explain how I feel about MK1. It's the only Mortal Kombat since I got into the FGC in 2011 that I have dropped more than once for more than a month at a time in it's first year. I honestly don't enjoy it much. Now, I'm not nearly as good of a player as I was in my teens and 20s when I could play hours and hours everyday, and I'm sure that has a part in my enjoyment, but I just end up frustrated often when playing MK1.

While aware that this sounds scrubby, It feels very unfair. MKX, the golden goose, also had a bit of that feeling but it was so fun to perform the bs and so fun to counter the bs, where as in Mk1 the way to counter most Kameo BS isn't a counter, it's just how to survive it. Flawless blocking a loop able chip setup to not get any Punish or advantage is lame. D2 to interrupt Kano Knives and getting 9% and MAYBE oki is lame. Khameleon is very lame. The game to me feels like it was designed for casuals to be able to beat competent players. I haven't played in more than a month and I bet I can take whoever and Khameleon to Elder God every season without practice or knowing a single MU. This game was made for that and I don't like that. I want every single person on Mortal Kombats reddit page to be stuck in kombatant until they realize why they're losing to zoning and figure out why the phrase "block spamming," makes them sound dumb.

Lol. Old man is done yelling at clouds

Last edited:
Frost can now set up an ice wall, meaning you can do corner combos midscreen - I' skeptical of how this might make her better, so Imma wait until the full patch notes. Sektor's homing missile now fires 2 missiles and Cyrax drops his bomb if he gets hit while setting it up. These aren't exactly game changing buffs they were hypeing, if I'm being honest.
On frost wall, it’ll be interesting to see how it works. The only other character I can think of with something like that was aganos from KI, but it was a huge part of his kit.

How that will work in a game where it’s an assist is much more questionable

I loved MKX day one. I was only disappointed in the more experimental variations being obviously ass. Hat Trick Lao, Dualist Liu, etc. They buffed those variations to casually usable and fixed the net code, so I loved it more.

That game had a high skill floor, casuals and scrubs had a hard time beating average players. I miss that. I do not like easy to play video games.

MK1 is passable and I do personally view it as extremely mid. I love the series and all, so I play it, and don't expect it to be catered to me or to be patched to be what I want, I'm not sure it's even possible without basically revamping core systems, but I really am hoping IJ3 or MK2/13 goes back to fast paced and cracked.

Edit: I kinda didn't explain how I feel about MK1. It's the only Mortal Kombat since I got into the FGC in 2011 that I have dropped more than once for more than a month at a time in it's first year. I honestly don't enjoy it much. Now, I'm not nearly as good of a player as I was in my teens and 20s when I could play hours and hours everyday, and I'm sure that has a part in my enjoyment, but I just end up frustrated often when playing MK1.

While aware that this sounds scrubby, It feels very unfair. MKX, the golden goose, also had a bit of that feeling but it was so fun to perform the bs and so fun to counter the bs, where as in Mk1 the way to counter most Kameo BS isn't a counter, it's just how to survive it. Flawless blocking a loop able chip setup to not get any Punish or advantage is lame. D2 to interrupt Kano Knives and getting 9% and MAYBE oki is lame. Khameleon is very lame. The game to me feels like it was designed for casuals to be able to beat competent players. I haven't played in more than a month and I bet I can take whoever and Khameleon to Elder God every season without practice or knowing a single MU. This game was made for that and I don't like that. I want every single person on Mortal Kombats reddit page to be stuck in kombatant until they realize why they're losing to zoning and figure out why the phrase "block spamming," makes them sound dumb.

Lol. Old man is done yelling at clouds
I was going to make a point but someone wakeup ball roll'd me

On frost wall, it’ll be interesting to see how it works. The only other character I can think of with something like that was aganos from KI, but it was a huge part of his kit.

How that will work in a game where it’s an assist is much more questionable
I also wonder which characters it would appeal to. Would it be more to try and stop someone from doing runaway zoning, so more of a Kameo to counter pick an opponents main character? Or would it be more to assist your own character by giving more access to corner combos? Are there character's whose damage is so much higher in the corner that would make Frost Wall worth it?

I also wonder which characters it would appeal to. Would it be more to try and stop someone from doing runaway zoning, so more of a Kameo to counter pick an opponents main character? Or would it be more to assist your own character by giving more access to corner combos? Are there character's whose damage is so much higher in the corner that would make Frost Wall worth it?
If she can place it in different spots and not just behind the opponent then it could be good for zoning too.

Eh, I went back and looked at Boon's tweets, and he was putting emphasis on the new main roster buffs as the big game changers. Kameo buffs he just mentioned as an example of what they were adding in general.

That being said, it is lame as hell not to throw the main roster buffs in the trailer. NRS loves not making the most of their opportunities lol
Other characters in a reveal trailer are only there to be jobbers to the DLC and get beat up, lol. So there's not much to show unless the buff involves being hit by a combo or special move.

Dunno how big the Homing Missile buff can be if it doesn't come with a cooldown buff as well, otherwise i see the vision with Frost and Cyrax
Also the thread title change lol