What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 prologue and chapter 1

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
One thing that really bothers me is Kronika choosing Shang to "elevate".

Surely she remembers how he baited and outsmarted everyone, including her, the last time around, right? Surely. She just goes straight to one of, if not the most treacherous being in the entire series, after getting shafted by him? Reminder that she knew he was a piece of shit last time around and he still managed to do what he did.

I know she's not super duper smart but come on.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
But that didn't happen except in some aborted flop timeline we paid $14.00 to play.
Bitch is a Titaness, "Keeper of Time", "Architect of the destiny of the universe". If she can't remember that timeline she should get another full time job because she sucks at hers
Also she should remember the timeline where she puts Shang in time jail because she doesn't trust him

If she remembers who he is he should also remember what a massive piece of shit he is

Surely she remembers how he baited and outsmarted everyone, including her, the last time around, right? Surely. She just goes straight to one of, if not the most treacherous being in the entire series, after getting shafted by him? Reminder that she knew he was a piece of shit last time around and he still managed to do what he did.

She's been spending as much time in Liu Kang's new Era as Liu and Geras. She's probably not as powerful as she once was and even when she was at her most powerful Fire God Liu Kang beat her anyway.

She might be elevating Shang and others out of petty spite for this peaceful timeline.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
She's been spending as much time in Liu Kang's new Era as Liu and Geras. She's probably not as powerful as she once was and even when she was at her most powerful Fire God Liu Kang beat her anyway.

She might be elevating Shang and others out of petty spite for this peaceful timeline.
that makes a bit of sense, maybe she doesn't want to win as much was she wants to screw over liu.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter

Maybe she seems him more as a tool to be used and discarded. In this timeline he can be easily molded to her cause, but she's planning on betraying him before he can betray her.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The one issue I have, which I guess is more a general criticism of this kind of story, is it's first chapter and you have two farm kids putting the beatdown on a supposed clan of elite warriors, including taking down 2 of the top leaders.

Overall though, one of the more promising starts to an MK story I've seen. Opening with Shang was very intriguing, and I liked the humor of guy just sitting drinking his drink while the fight is going on.

Other issue I suppose is Raiden and Kung Lao both seem a bit tropey/cliché at this point. They feel like generic versions of characters lifted and pasted from other similar stories. Still, it's just the opening chapter, so there's room for growth.

The one issue I have, which I guess is more a general criticism of this kind of story, is it's first chapter and you have two farm kids putting the beatdown on a supposed clan of elite warriors, including taking down 2 of the top leaders.
NRS keep kicking themsevles in the teeth with this. It's Kombat Kids all over again with wins that really are not setup/earned right. You've introduced your ryu/ken and had them get their ass beat by farmers. It doesn't matter in the long run, but I don't get why they undercut their characters like this.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It's Kombat Kids all over again with wins that really are not setup/earned right
At least in the case of the "Kombat Kids" you can make a case that they were elite warriors at the time. All of them were in peak physical form, had elite training backgrounds, and were in an elite branch of special forces.

In MK1's case it's two farmers whose fighting experience is sparring with an old woman, and hearing stories of their ancestors.

Overall though, one of the more promising starts to an MK story I've seen. Opening with Shang was very intriguing, and I liked the humor of guy just sitting drinking his drink while the fight is going on.

Other issue I suppose is Raiden and Kung Lao both seem a bit tropey/cliché at this point. They feel like generic versions of characters lifted and pasted from other similar stories. Still, it's just the opening chapter, so there's room for growth.
It definitely beats Chapter 1 Cassie of MK11. And Chapter 1 Johnny of MKX.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Nah it's the voice actress for Sheeva playing Kronika (she's killing it too) she has a very unmistakable distinct tone to her voice.
ooohh. nice. She is killing it! Either way both are great. I'm noticing most of the voice acting sounds more younger. It's sorta like Susan Eisenberg's voice for Ashrah. She definintely brought a new life but yet parts did distinctively sound Wonder Woman-ish. Regardless, the voice talent is pretty great for the most part. Kari Wahlgren is great for Kitana but I do somewhat prefer Karen Strassman's voice for Mileena. Still, this was a while ago and Kari Wahlgren did the Mileena voice on someone's Youtube channel way back when she was announced. She was doing it with what appeared to be no modulation. Many of the voices that are different are doing dead on emulations. Still excited to see where this goes. 3 weeks you guys! eeeshk! :)

Wasn't a theory about Havik appearing as someone else? I hope whoever it is who talks to Shang Tsung is not actually her because it would make the whole new timeline/a threat Liu Kang could never have anticipated just a gimmick. Unless she's a decoy, I have no idea why would any of the writers want to bring her back. The Kronika boss fight was not a very interesting/fun experience, she had a very basic moveset and the player barely can interact with her because of the almost nonexistent hit reactions. As a character she lacked any kind of iconic presence Shang or Shao had, she was an ever present mysterious lady you've never heard of before but she was scheming behind the scene all along - once again, gimmicky at best.

For all of you pissing your panties about
Kronika’s appearance in this opening cinematic
, have you forgotten that both Shinnok & Dark Raiden were in the opening of MK11, and had just about NOTHING to do with the story?
On the other hand, NRS showed the first Chapter of MKX on the Kombat Kast before release in 2015, including the Shinnok boss fight which suggested that he won't be the big bad of the game as he was defeated by Cage and trapped into the amulet then he was brought back for the endgame.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the final boss fight was always the worst part of any NRS game, I rarely find true amusement in fighting an overpowered character with buffs and gimmicks that help him/her to bend the rules of the game. I liked how straightforward Aftermath Shang was, for me the journey til the end is much more interesting generally than the actual boss fight. By the time we reach the Story boss, we're already through the real twists and reveals so it's basically get it over with and see whether there's a teaser for what's to come or not.

Since we have no new character in the new era, it would be fitting if the boss would be someone we've never seen before but if I think about Kronika, I'd rather just have Onaga at this point. Titan Shang or any kind of fusion boss (like Korrupted Shinnok) would feel rather lackluster IMO.

Kokoko

Somehow
If you watched the first gameplay trailer, then you know that this was not a real attack by Lin Kuei. The videos of the first part are being cut. But if you watch the first trailer, you can see that Liu Kang stops the fight. Sub-Zero and Scorpion were with him all this time as they stand behind him and listen to him. And Liu says that Lao and Raiden passed their test and can join them. I don't think they were fighting at full strength, just testing them

Ardet

Noob
If you watched the first gameplay trailer, then you know that this was not a real attack by Lin Kuei. The videos of the first part are being cut. But if you watch the first trailer, you can see that Liu Kang stops the fight. Sub-Zero and Scorpion were with him all this time as they stand behind him and listen to him. And Liu says that Lao and Raiden passed their test and can join them. I don't think they were fighting at full strength, just testing them
If that is true then Smoke oblitirating Madam Bo doesnt make sence at all. And Liu wouldnt allow that to happen. She cannot be acting also, Smoke smashed her face on handholder and tru her from first floor lol.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's what I was expecting to see.

Kokoko

Somehow
If that is true then Smoke oblitirating Madam Bo doesnt make sence at all. And Liu wouldnt allow that to happen. She cannot be acting also, Smoke smashed her face on handholder and tru her from first floor lol.
I mean, two farmers beat an entire clan, you can believe that. But can't believe that madame Bo played along with them? In this universe, madame Bo is Bo Rai Cho. I wouldn't be surprised if she helped Liu. Bet, she will stand up and say that Smoke overdid it, and he will answer that he couldn't have done otherwise, because then they wouldn't have believed in the attack. This is exactly the level you can expect from the NRS script.

Or maybe Smoke is just an idiot
:DOGE