What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) Pre-Order Beta Dates: Aug. 18-21

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
More testing with Clone and Jax. Jax will knock them up into the clone, but only on 2 conditions.
  1. The Clone is EX
  2. Its an actual popup
The way Jax's unblockable works is if they're hit by it, it will knock them up into the air. Unless they're crouch blocking. If they're crouch blocking then they do a low fastfall type deal. I've tested it out and if you're just crouching you get launched and if you're just stand blocking you get launched. It needs to be crouch blocking to avoid. So I've been working on trying to time his b2 overhead cancelled into EX clone. It has to be b2 because thats his one and only cancelable overhead. Its a really fucking rough thing to try and practice against an AI tho. If I had practice mode I could fully explore the options here. I'll work more on it for now tho.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Update:
If Gamestop has screwed anybody else by not giving a code with a physical copy preorder, I did contact WB support, attached a pic of my Gamestop receipt, and had a code within an hour! I was pleasantly surprised.

This game is SO much fun so far! I'm loving the Sub Zero and Frost combo

i'm pretty sure crossplay is already active in the beta, as i cant see everyone i played in xbox "recently met" list, which usually means they are on another console brand.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The amount of bugs is concerning to say the least, the game is one MONTH from launching. I expect a messy as fuck PC port, oh lord

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Serious question: does this beta version include the sped up movement that's been mentioned? I didn't get to play the stress test. I, personally, am ok with the movement speed, but it definitely doesn't feel as fast as MK9. If this is the sped up movement, the stress test must have felt sluggish as all hell

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I feel like Frost is far and away the best assist character here.
There are two types of assist, Ambush and Summon some characters are Ambush Specific others are Summon

Frost is a Summon Assist, so every single move of her set locks the main character on screen with a pose and can't move while she is attacking
All others are a mixed of either ambush or summon.

You can move with Ambush Assists and call up the Kameo while doing anything, and since Ambush takes a while to start, you have to cover the Kameo timmer yourself.

I'm just so stoked about this game after playing this weekend. The beta was kinda bittersweet because I really wanted to lab and had to settle for just repeatedly doing Very Easy matches, restarting the match to get a bar back, etc. But I'm just so beyond sold and excited by the game itself, and especially the kameos. It took me a while to even think about the kameos, but they're really what launch this game miles beyond MK11.

I was working through some concepts with Li Mei and in MK11, would have kinda gone down the usual checklist of "what are her bnbs, what are her mixups, what's her mid, does she have staggers, what are the specials, etc., okay I'm done", but then realized "oh, with Kano I can use his ball at the end of this kombo to get some distance so I can put a lantern out, or eke out a little extra damage at the end with his knives", "hm, how can I best pair Jax ground pound with lanterns?", "I should figure out a good way to get lanterns and Frost's freeze bubble thing out there", "what are all the places I can use Sonya's square wave once I've gotten them in the air?". That's with 4 kameos, and each one at least had me thinking how I could fit them in even if I wouldn't necessarily go to them in a real match. No doubt there will end up being optimal kameos for each character, but the thing is people will also be mostly playing matchups against Good Character/Optimal Kameo, and it feels like even lame kameos might enable setups that surprise people.

Ugh, be September 14th god dammit.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'm just so stoked about this game after playing this weekend. The beta was kinda bittersweet because I really wanted to lab and had to settle for just repeatedly doing Very Easy matches, restarting the match to get a bar back, etc. But I'm just so beyond sold and excited by the game itself, and especially the kameos. It took me a while to even think about the kameos, but they're really what launch this game miles beyond MK11.

I was working through some concepts with Li Mei and in MK11, would have kinda gone down the usual checklist of "what are her bnbs, what are her mixups, what's her mid, does she have staggers, what are the specials, etc., okay I'm done", but then realized "oh, with Kano I can use his ball at the end of this kombo to get some distance so I can put a lantern out, or eke out a little extra damage at the end with his knives", "hm, how can I best pair Jax ground pound with lanterns?", "I should figure out a good way to get lanterns and Frost's freeze bubble thing out there", "what are all the places I can use Sonya's square wave once I've gotten them in the air?". That's with 4 kameos, and each one at least had me thinking how I could fit them in even if I wouldn't necessarily go to them in a real match. No doubt there will end up being optimal kameos for each character, but the thing is people will also be mostly playing matchups against Good Character/Optimal Kameo, and it feels like even lame kameos might enable setups that surprise people.

Ugh, be September 14th god dammit.
yep, that's the overall feeling : almost endless possibilities for combos, openings and pressure strings combinations , all with lots of creativity mixing with all those Kameos options :)

this game already is a step ahead from the staling and boring MK11 gameplay proposal, so, next year, on Evo 2024, this game will shine like a piece of art there, wait and see ! :D

Zviko

Noob
Apart from very high ping matches for some reason, this was a pretty good experience. I really like the game and can't wait to play Reptile. Kameos do allow many different play styles but beta clearly showed there can be optimal varia....sorry, Kameos for each character. I hope there's some balancing done about it so it's not so obvious but of course there's gonna be many more Kameos on release and hopefully some more variety so you won't only fight Johnny with Kano, Li Mei with Frost, Liu with Sonya etc.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I loved trying the different kameos with Sub-Zero and I’m very happy with SZ himself. I legitimately enjoyed every matchup so far, including the Sub mirror which is usually ass to play.
But , would you use Kameo Subby along with playable Subby ? Sure that will possible, so, very curious to see how that could benefit Sub-Zero gameplay and strategy, lol ! :laughing:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But , would you use Kameo Subby along with playable Subby ? Sure that will possible, so, very curious to see how that could benefit Sub-Zero gameplay and strategy, lol ! :laughing:
Honestly maybe. I’m not sure what kameo SZ does. They showed the projectile thing which could be helpful to win ice ball trades, especially since EX ice ball is a little slower now. I think he has ice burst too which might be pretty good, and I don’t know if they showed his third move.