What's new

Mortal Kombat – Official Restricted Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courante

Give all to another and save yourself
Looks better than I expected. Sub Zero looks neat but I wonder who the actual antagonist will be.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Not bad. Raiden looks too small for his clothes.

My initial impression is it seems like they're trying to cash in on the Comic Book/Superhero formula. I have low expectations.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
I'm excited to see Mortal Kombat is trending on Twitter. I REALLY hope this movie does well enough to warrant a trilogy or maybe even a series on HBO Max.

It's delightfully cheesy. I expected some things to be ripped from the games' stories, but I'm happy to see they're taking a semi-fresh approach to it. It makes it less predictable for people who have read / played the games over and over and know every little detail.

BUT there are also moments or characters that the people who are long-time / devoted fans could still get hype over.

I feel like some hardcore MK fans are going to be upset that the movie isn't an exact retelling of the story. But how many times do we need to see the same story retold in almost the exact same way?

We've seen this story played out so many times now lmao. Let's hope they add a unique and entertaining twist.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'm excited to see Mortal Kombat is trending on Twitter. I REALLY hope this movie does well enough to warrant a trilogy or maybe even a series on HBO Max.

It's delightfully cheesy. I expected some things to be ripped from the games' stories, but I'm happy to see they're taking a semi-fresh approach to it. It makes it less predictable for people who have read / played the games over and over and know every little detail.

BUT there are also moments or characters that the people who are long-time / devoted fans could still get hype over.

I feel like some hardcore MK fans are going to be upset that the movie isn't an exact retelling of the story. But how many times do we need to see the same story retold in almost the exact same way?

We've seen this story played out so many times now lmao. Let's hope they add a unique and entertaining twist.
yep, that's the point, this movie is just and adaptation of the franchise, so, the producers and director have the power to make some things pretty different, with the creativity freedom and artistic liberty they have on hands .... I mean, is very naive to pretend that they could follow 100% with the source material , oh , that will never happen .... they will take aspects of the videogame, but, will change and put different stuff all the time ..... I'm ok with that, if, in the end, the movie turns to be entertainment , fun and half decent :laughing:

the trailer is awesome, but, let's wait for the movie release and for the critics review ..... I have seen a LOT of trailers that are much better than the final movie result, so, let's see ..... hoping for the best for this movie, but, very prepared for the worst, if happens, hehe ! :p

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
Wow, I am actually impressed with Shao Kahns look.
For sure a movie I will watch and let me surprise on how well it's done, especially in the gore category - "MORTAL KOMBAT"

---
(someone knows the budget for the movie?)

Love the nods to things from the game. Sub's freezing the blood and using it as a weapon, and throwing his opponent into the ice wall. Hopefully there's lot's more things like that.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Mortal Kombat Director Shares Secrets of the First Trailer
With the bloody, ultraviolent new Mortal Kombat movi trailer offering our first look at the upcoming R-Rated movie, IGN teamed up with director Simon McQuoid to deliver his own breakdown of the trailer. McQuoid explains what's going on in key moments of the trailer and offers fascinating behind-the-scenes trivia about how the movie was made, from the setting of Outworld to the gruesome and over-the-top Fatalities.

I am no longer hyped by this kind of trailers, i've fell into the eye candy trailer trap way too much.

At least the cast itself looks decent, I like Kano, Scorpion, Sonya and Liu Kang.

Can we please take a moment to enjoy this dialogue in the trailer :
"It's a birthmark."
"What do you mean ?"
"He was born with it."

It has a lot of potential and anyone saying it doesn't look visually impressive is just hating at this point. That being said, I still have serious fears about:

- Realism - let's start with Outworld, it looks like earth! There is a tendency since the success of realism used in non-earth / fantasy / other worldly stories like a Game of Thrones, most Marvel and DC universe movies etc. NRS has itself has gone in this direction and the director said they wanted to go for a realistic approach and that's fair, but to me takes a big part of immersion away from the movie. I prepared for it, but still was hoping for more of a fantasy otherworldly setting. Only Shao Kahn's scene seems to have some potential in that regard.

Then we have Shang Tsung who just looked gorgeous in the poster and then we see him as just a normal looking guy, all the magical, otherworldly elements are not there. This is concerning. Sure they have the fire dragon - best part of the trailer! - and he might steal souls and glow a bit and get a messed up face in one scene, the fact that everything looks too realistic for a game steeped in mythology doesn't bode well. I mean Reptile looks like Godzilla meets Splinter / beebop rocksteady replacements in the Secrets of the Ooze movie from TMNT. We haven't seen Nitara yet and Goro does look like his MKX gorgeous beastly self, so there's hope, but not a lot.

- Creative freedom - I fear they actually will follow the lore too closely and it won't be surprising whatever they throw at us. Why people want them to actually stick close to what we know is beyond me. I see Metin for example cry about Sub ripping Jax' arms off, who cares?! It's a movie that has 0 impact on the (main) lore.

- Predicability - this lack of freedom also relates to the characters, so I fear will see Sub-Zero, Shang, Goro, Nitara, Reiko, Reptile die and probably every earth realmer live. Sure it was this way in the original movie and it was nice see at least Goro killing a character that at least some relevance, but not so sure outside of Kano and maybe one more character on the good side will even lose a battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.