What's new

Strategy More Ways To Make Good Reads

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Ever notice that a lot of people talk about making reads based on the opponent having certain patterns or looking out for obvious setups. But i dont hear a lot of people talking about is making reads based on the amount of meter both players may have. Because based on the amount of meter either you or your opponent has, the opponent may go for different things. For example. if they have full meter and u only have 1 bar. Its a safe bet that they'll have no qualms about spending 1 bar on an armor move to try and get out of your footsies or pressure. So you could easily be ready for such an attempt just by paying attnetion to both players meter lvl. And another thing that u can predict is that in most cases if a player has a breaker, they would tend to be more bold in their attempt to approach you. So knowing this, u could easily bait them and make them use up they're breaker. theres many kinds of predictions and reads you can make based on either or both players lvl of meter.

The other thing that you can use to make reads on the opponent is the health bars. Based at where you or your opponents health is at, he/she may attempt to do different things. For example, if your health is on the low side. They may very well make a bold yet frantic attempt to finish you off. If you remain calm. You may even be able to make a comback by captializing on your opponents recklessness and in turn taking the match from him/her. At the beginning of the match, when both players are at full health. Usually either they will move a bit & block or just block. Or they will try and poke you for the 1st hit granting them a breaker. Some may even use a special or enhanced special to get the extra bar (enhanced would leave them with just one bar, but it would rob u of the extra bar as well and they'd get damage).

You could make all kinds of reads easily with both of these factors combined.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I'm always gauging how much bar, im using, and making and my opponents as well. I think the most important part about learning any character in this game is learnig about THEIR meter, and ow to build, spend, and manage it well.Not to mention how to force the opponent to spend theirs.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Im the most free person ever to X-rays cause i never realize when the opponent has it. Armor usually isnt a problem cause Rains beats every armor in the game, but i swear people's xray success percentage on me has to be in the like 80's and up. I need to learn to just glance at the meter every now and then to make sure they dont have a full bar. Then ill be fine lol.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Im the most free person ever to X-rays cause i never realize when the opponent has it. Armor usually isnt a problem cause Rains beats every armor in the game, but i swear people's xray success percentage on me has to be in the like 80's and up. I need to learn to just glance at the meter every now and then to make sure they dont have a full bar. Then ill be fine lol.
x rays piss me off haha i dont think ive ever blocked one on reaction, im like a rabbit in the headlights

Skitzo

Noob
stay free

Axel_Redd

i posted this cuz i realized i was doing this at one point without even thinking, and then realized i got start doing this all the time xD. Same for making reads based on health too.

Axel_Redd
I absolutely love threads like these :D

Anyway, reads and reactions go hand-in-hand, and that's exactly how I got better at throw techs in MK9. After you start to react to throws, throw techs are still 50/50's. Fortunately, these factors will determine which direction your opponent will throw you:

-Distance from the corner- Pay close attention to distance from the corner because your opponent will throw you to the nearest corner.
-If your in the corner- A smart opponent will never let you out if the corner for free, so you tech a forward throw.
-if your opponent is in the corner- They will most likely throw you into the corner, so tech a neutral throw.

Axel_Redd

Axel_Redd
I absolutely love threads like these :D

Anyway, reads and reactions go hand-in-hand, and that's exactly how I got better at throw techs in MK9. After you start to react to throws, throw techs are still 50/50's. Fortunately, these factors will determine which direction your opponent will throw you:

-Distance from the corner- Pay close attention to distance from the corner because your opponent will throw you to the nearest corner.
-If your in the corner- A smart opponent will never let you out if the corner for free, so you tech a forward throw.
-if your opponent is in the corner- They will most likely throw you into the corner, so tech a neutral throw.
exactly, i've realized this too :)

btw, can cyrax command grab be tech'd with any of the 4 face buttons?