What's new

More BIG Trouble for Sony

No, no. The anon people are just idiots who are trying to get in the limelight.

The cyber criminals are professionals, they don't send messages and aren't motivated by anything except money.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_hackerville_romania/

Guys like the ones in above article
OH! Okay. I see now. I'm sticking with my "misplaced power and pride," however. lol Thanks for the heads up. That makes way more sense, actually. I wish it healed my rage a little though. :(

Dark_Rob

Noob

'Anonymous said... Yups. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Sony will pay for seeking info on all those who supported GeoHot. Oh wait it wasn't us. <----Who is going to believe you f***ots = NO ONE"
What is GeoHot?

Also, I added this for Sony... :salty:

:coffee:

GeoHotz is the handle of hacker wiz kid George Hotz. Best known for jailbreaking the Iphone and most recently he jailbroke the PS3. In the ensuing weeks Sony filed a lawsuit against both GeoHotz and his internet provider attempting to get GeoHOtz website taken down as well as getting his "How to jailbreak the PS3" vids removed from Youtube. In addition Sony futher attempted to supenoa GeoHotz's internet provider in an attempt to obtain all the IP addresses of everyone who looked at his Youtube vids or visited his website, nevermind whether they actually jailbroke they're PS3 or not. Presumably Sony was planning to preemptively ban anyone from PSN who even just LOOKED at GeoHotz's information. This is when the collective known as "Anonymous" became involved.
Here is they're initial statement to Sony:
And a followup message:

So it's back to Anon?

...The cyber criminals ARE Anon, then? I'm being told two completely different things. The cyber crims are doing all this, but then Anon is simply a group of dumbasses who want their 15 mins of fame?

But Sony says it's Anon and Anon says it's Anon and then...it isn't...they could be lying I guess?

axi0m

Noob
1. GeoHotz gets sued

2. Anon gets pissed and DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks Sony

3. Anon realizes this is just pissing off the people they're trying to do good for (gamers)

4. Anon stops attacks

5. Some "unrelated" party or splinter group of Anon uses the Anon attacks to gain entry into Sony's servers

6. Info is stolen etc etc

So to sum it up, it probably wasn't anon, or was a splinter of anon not following "orders" and are scapegoating or redirecting blame at Anon.

There are some very talented people working in Anon, but they've always been about transparency and "doing right" by the people they're choosing to protect or get justice for.

Thanks, Ax. It's just a horrible situation then.

In any case, it's coming to the point I don't even care who did it anymore. I just want PSN back.

Dark_Rob

Noob
So it's back to Anon?

...The cyber criminals ARE Anon, then? I'm being told two completely different things. The cyber crims are doing all this, but then Anon is simply a group of dumbasses who want their 15 mins of fame?

But Sony says it's Anon and Anon says it's Anon and then...it isn't...they could be lying I guess?
Anonymous is a decentralized collective. There are no real leaders, no headquarters, no hiearchy. There is no way for Anonymous to truly know who did what to whom. In essence if you claim to be anonymous, then you can be Anonymous. Its that simple. Whether Anonymous officially denies it irrelevant. Anon's are probably still involved.

axi0m

Noob
Anonymous is a decentralized collective. There are no real leaders, no headquarters, no hiearchy. There is no way for Anonymous to truly know who did what to whom. In essence if you claim to be anonymous, then you can be Anonymous. Its that simple. Whether Anonymous officially denies it irrelevant. Anon's are probably still involved.
Anon does have a "leadership" of sorts. There are people that run most of the ops, and kinda set loose guidelines etc. That doesn't mean all of the anons actually abide by or follow them.

If you look at what they did to that security firm back in February, there are definitely people in Anon with the talent to do what was done to Sony. Regardless of under direct order or not.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending Anon at all, I just like playing devils advocate and thinking of all possibilities.

oZii

Noob
So it's back to Anon?

As the story stands right now. In best order that I can.

1. Sony removed the other OS with a firmware when exploited would allow people to possibly pirate PS3 games. (other OS was on all original Playstations). If you didnt update Sony was basically saying that you where breaking the EULA.

2. GeoHotz found a work around or Jail break that allowed you to mod it. He announced it and posted videos on how to do it. (common practice see Iphone, Xbox, Android phones, etc...)

3. Sony Filed lawsuit against GeoHotz for releasing that information (keep in mind Apple, Microsoft, Google, or nobody else has ever done that for someone releasing Homebrew for a piece of tech) Sony wanted wanted Google to give up the IP addresses for anyone that even looked at those videos on youtube. Also wanted GeoHotz to close website down.

4. Anonymous steps in why cause all the things that Sony wanted to do was basically challenging free speech and the idea if you buy something it is yours to do with it as you will. They say they will target Sony DDoS attacks bring down Sonys websites and interrupts PSN services.

5. Sony Settles out of court with Geo Hotz all charges and claims dropped. Anonymous says they are finished with #OpSony says that operation was a success.

6. Sony shuts down servers, there is breach in security, personal information is stolen.

7. Anonymous says they arent behind the attacks (first time they have ever said they weren't behind something) Sony is incompetent.

8. Truth about how sever the breach is comes to light. Sony says they don't know if anonymous is behind it.

9. Anonymous releases short statement saying that they arent behind this attack that they dont want to upset the gamers. They are finished with #OPsony once the charges were dropped.

10. Sony has to answer to congress. Sony Releases explanation of entire mishap to congress. In it they say that they found a txt file (think MsNotepad) named Anonymous in that file it just says "we are legion"

11. Anonymous Releases full statement based on what was disclosed at the Congressional Hearing. Saying again that they didnt do it. They point to their history and patterns as proof that this doesnt fit their MO. Anonymous states that this was done by Regular Internet Thieving Hacker.

Tried to summarize as best I can.

The GeoHot thing I knew about and after that was when it got all fuzzy.

This helped so much, thanks for the time you put into it, and everyone else who took time to answer my questions.

So I'm in the anonymous IRC Chat channels right now :)

They are attacking Viacom right now lol DDoS (it has to do with Viacom wanting youtube to remove music videos from youtube so that only Viacom can upload videos)

http://www.anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=921

Ok confusion Viacom was trying to attack Anon. Now Anon is retaliating back at Viacom. :popcorn:

anonymous Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/YourAnonNews
That's why I believe Anon about not being involved, they screw companies as retaliation for some shady practice like the Viacom stuff, but when the problem is solved, they move to another subject, that and screwing up people/gamers goes completely against what they try to enforce.

oZii

Noob
That's why I believe Anon about not being involved, they screw companies as retaliation for some shady practice like the Viacom stuff, but when the problem is solved, they move to another subject, that and screwing up people/gamers goes completely against what they try to enforce.
Yea I agree I don't believe they are behind it.

Also side note if you even mention PSN or a variation of in the chat room your automatically kicked.

Its like organized in there but its confusing too they talk about whatever in there lol its kinda funny. You will catch something quick like still cant get in or whatever. You can say Viacom all day long in the current operation channel they dont care about that.

I don't know about you guys, but I think all this anonymous vs Viacom vs Sony vs Skynet would really make a kickass movie. :cool:

oZii

Noob
I don't know about you guys, but I think all this anonymous vs Viacom vs Sony vs Skynet would really make a kickass movie. :cool:

So last night while internet browsing I had another tab opened while I was in the Anonymous MiRc If you want think there is trolling on forums and JTV that channel is on another level lol.

Anyway Last night they took down:

2 New Zealand Government websites in a hour
Stormfront (neo nazi) website
Viacom started but they didnt finish but op is still a go
Someone mention taking down justinbeiber music lol

Mentioning sony or psn is instant kciked from chat

Zebster

How's my volume?
Oh boy! Got a bank alert saying someone tried to access funds from my account, how fun. No doubt related to this incident seeing as psn is really the only place i used my card for. Luckily I already set up something with my bank for that.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
PSN should allow to just pay via PayPal, then I might consider it. This whole "further attacks" thing is just bull shit, Sony has very much learned it's lesson, doing another attack isn't going to drive that point home any further.

And I have no doubt Anon members were involved, but I believe them when they say it wasn't an organized Anon attack.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
So, I'm guessing if we ever catch these hackers, we have to give them rights just like any other criminal right? We can't shoot first and ask questions later like we did on Osama?

So, I'm guessing if we ever catch these hackers, we have to give them rights just like any other criminal right? We can't shoot first and ask questions later like we did on Osama?
Haha, so much truth, even in the form of questions.

To contribute a little, I don't see why it matters who took the damn cookies anymore. They're gone. D:

lobo

woof.
wait...are you saying that it wasn't osama that brought down PSN?

fucking fox news!

Carter

Noob
Well, one of the people running the anonops servers and IRC chats turned against the some of the others, and there's a bit of a civil war going on.

They hacked the websites and posted the IP addresses of all the IRC chatters who participated in the DDOS of PSN.

Heh, this is getting comical. Anonymous doesn't even have good security.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Well lets face it, any hacker worth his weight who has enough time and motivation can get though ANY form of security, nothing is perfect. And we all know Anonymous is filled with some high skilled black hat types, so the civil war was bound to cause all kinds of havoc on their sites/servers.