What's new

Montreal Mayhem #3: Only A Real Master...

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Montreal Mayhem #3
This week was much more lively then last week. It was mostly returning faces except for @KRYS9984 who showed up to his first Montreal Mayhem.

Sadly some people were unable to make it this time again. @Darkbloom was on the other side of the country. @C-Sword was leveling up his Mario Kart tech. @Chimbz day off was probably NEXT Sunday. @rehti was busy throwing teeth at people. @Jer and @zaf were out with #JuiceBarProblems. However like always real life takes precedence so, no worries y'all are more then welcome to show up next week and take all our RanBat points.

Injustice

The first round didn't have too much excitement. Krys and @Mortal Komhat had a good learning match that Krys took 3 - 0. @T.roll and @xQUANTUMx opened up against each other for the millionth time #AmazonianRigging, the result was similar to previous events where Troll takes their first match 3 - 1. @Ecodus and @Chuckychuck had a really close match that Ecodus was able to slip by barely with a 3 - 2 after losing horrible to Charlie in casuals. The most hype moment of the first round came during the @CanadianBaconX and @hard_goodbye set, after taking the first game, Goodbye's Catwoman looked prime to take the second game as well with Bacon at 15% health and Goodbye with a full second bar. However Bacon was able to activate #MaxFraudulence mode and ran it all the way back, taking the win and getting the "Only a Real Master" achievement to pop up. The comeback shifted moment greatly into Bacon's favour allowing him to win the set with a 3 - 1.

On the winners side Kyrs cruised on his way to Grand Finals taking down Bacon, only losing a game because, an input got dropped and Bacon got a free 40% combo and then beating the current Injustice RanBat point leader Ecodus in a 3 - 1 set in Winner's Finals.

For losers Hatman bowed out early to solid Catwomen play from Goodbye and Charlie wasn't able to handle the Kryptonian Laser Show from Quantum.

Bacon attempted to battle Superman's eye lasers with Wonder Woman's tiara and despite this seeming like a poor idea, he was able to ride the tiara's Moon Prism Power to almost take the set but, Quantum was able to buckle down and stop Bacon from greasing away a win. Troll on the other hand was too busy getting bodied in Mario Kart 8 to actually be ready for Hard Goodbye's Catwomen allowing for an easy victory for Selina Kyle.

Unfortunately
at the time Ecodus had to leave due to the tournament taking too long, BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE KEPT PLAYING CASUALS INSTEAD OF INFORMING ME THAT THEIR GOD DAMN MATCH WAS DONE! So, even tho Ecodus was TECHNICALLY in Losers finals, the real Losers finals was Quantum and Hard Goodbye which Quantum was able to take getting him into Grand Finals.
Grand Finals showed great play from both players. Especially in the first match that Quantum won, which was a real nail biter. Both heroes at around 5%. Batman dip, ducking and dodging lasers. Superman manoeuvring around bats and batarangs. 10 seconds left on the clock, Quantum jumps up going for an air eye laser. Ecodus throws a upwards batarang as if throwing a 50 yard hail mary to open receiver. The batarang goes up and up and is just about to hit Superman right in the 'S' on his chest... When the laser hits Batman in his Bat Toes giving Quantum the win. However as great an ending was that was, it was the only match Quantum was able to pull off as Krys takes Injustice in his first Montreal Mayhem.

Results:
1) Krys (Batman) [8 Points]
2) Quantum (Superman) [5 Points]
3) Ecodus (Catwoman) [2 Points]
4) Hard Goodbye (Catwoman) [1 Point]
5) Bacon (Wonderwoman)
5) Troll (Martian Manhunter)
7) Hatman (Shazam)
7) Charlie (Martian Manhunter)

Mortal Kombat
MK only had 5 players this week with Krys once again joining the fray. However due to that number the only actual first round match was Bacon vs Hard Goodbye which ended in a 2 - 0 for Bacon.

In winners Bacon got 2 - 0'd by Krys' Sub Zero since he kept trying to do air fireballs with Kano. Troll got 2 - 0'd by Charlie because "I WAS TRYING TO BABY HIM!" Charlie then fought Krys in winners finals taking it 2 - 0... Despite Bacon saying it's first to 3 and even asking them "Wait was that three wins?"

In Losers Troll was able to beat Hard Goodbye and then edge out Bacon, who almost won it because Troll was once again going for babies. Losers Finals came around and Troll took a 2 - 0 win... Or at least he thought he won until Bacon reminded them there is only 5 of them and this is losers finals already. Deciding to play the rest of the set... Krys was able to take 3 straight and to get into Grand Finals despite thinking he was already out.

Grand Finals had our first bracket reset in Montreal Mayhem history as Krys took the first set 3 - 2 and then cleaned up the second set 3 - 1. Not bad for someone who thought he was already eliminated from the tournament.

Results:
1) Krys (Sub-Zero, Mileena, Cyrax) [5 Points]
2) Charlie (Liu Kang, Cage) [3 Points]
3) Troll (Kabal, Cage) [1 Point]
4) Bacon (Kano)
5) Hard Goodbye (Cage)

Mortal Kombat vs DC
Umm... Actually this didn't happen. Seems like Bacon and Charlie's rocket boots are the only ones who would have played this game. Hard Goodbye thought he would but, then saw the first 5 minutes of story mode instantly turned it down.

In a search for a game to wind out the night, Troll suggested Soul Calibur V. Having no real rejections to the idea, they booted up the weapon fighter and tried to under stand what this game was all about. A RanBat was going to be had until Bacon showed that he kind of remember how the game actually worked and won almost constantly.

Instead the game was just played for casuals, until people had to pack it up.

Totals
Injustice Totals:
Ecodus [20 Points]
Quantum [13 Points]
Bacon [9 Points]
Krys [8 Points]
Hard_Goodbye [7 Points]
DarkBloom [6 Points]
T.Roll [5 Points]
Charlie [2 Point]

Motal Kombat Totals:
Charlie [17 Points]
T.Roll [11 Points]
Zaf [8 Points]
Bacon [7 Points]
Jer [6 Points]
Krys [5 Points]

Conclusion
Thanks once again for everyone who showed up to another great event. Good job to everyone for bouncing back from a pretty low week last week. Matches were hype, a lot of close calls. Though I do have to apologize for how lack lusterly I ran the tournament this week. I wasn't very focused on the matches going on and lost track of them very easily. Sure you're suppose to come and tell me the results but, I should do a better job at tracking that anyways.

Also, I'll probably start being more of a douche when it comes to playing casuals right after you set. Not that casuals aren't allowed, it's just... I don't want to be waiting on a match results and you guys just keep playing and it holds the whole thing back :(

Oh and for the whole third game situation thing. Unless maybe we pick up Ultimate MK II or something like that... I think we should just play random other fighters, not even do a RanBat, just play something new. Not that I don't enjoy Injustice and MK, I just know a lot of dudes in this scene first fighter was MK or Injustice. Which is fine and all but, it can help you better your general fighter game understanding you just play more games.

Honestly off the top of my head, I know Me, Hatman and Jer are usually pretty open to playing other games. I'll legit press buttons in any game because, you never know what you could learn or even maybe you'll find a game you would have never played and then take a liking to it. At least that's my opinion... And I'm the guy who wanted us to play Rumble Roses XX so, don't mind me~

Remember this happens every Sunday at the Foonzo Gaming Bar on 1245 Rue Drummond usually starting around 5:30 to 6 PM. If you're in the Montreal area, might as well drop by and help grow this local NRS community.

Last edited:

KRYS9984

Noob
Great write up @CanadianBaconX.

My favorite moment of the night was going back and forth from the PS3 / XBOX set-ups to watch matches when all of a sudden (from the corner of my eye) I see the real master comeback unfolding. It was awesome!

A few other memorable moments / aspects of the night:

- Ecodus was using a REALLY messed up controller and Quantum can attest to this. Don't know how you were able to use that thing and still give a good fight. Props man.

- Quantum unleashing an air laser to seal the first match in grand finals while my up-batarang was just a couple millimeters from Supermans face. I thought it was going to be a double KO!

- Bacon's Kano Ball completely destroying (my) Sub-Zero's X-Ray for the win.

- T.roll going for babies which ended in a couple heart-breakers.

- Watching matches on the XBOX set-up while (what appeared to me) and endless demo of Mario Kart being shown on the WiiU (without going back to the main title screen). It was actually T.roll playing on the WiiU tablet about 12 feet away.

- "Playing" Soul Calibur (more like button mashing) and getting nailed twice by Bacon's 50% special attack. I said "Dude, that special does 50%, is that legit?" which he replied "Ya, it's stupid" and continued to body me.

Once again, good games everyone.

Last edited:

rehti

Noob
Sunday is definitely not the best day for me. I won't be available next week neither as I will be at Heavy MTL.