What's new

Monitors, Do They Really matter?

Wigy

There it is...
So you drop everything because your used to your own, but you can adapt better to the Monitors?

What if it was the other way around where you play at home on a Monitor but at Local they had TV screens?
I'd imagine i would mistime it the other way around. Its all relative

It's a subtle difference, but its there. I don't even think it's even something you can see necessarily (though I'm sure some will claim to), but its definitely something you can feel when you try to play. Things just feel slightly out of sync, which can throw everything off.
I don't know about subtle. If you can hit a combo 100/100 at home on your TV and then go to a local and can't hit that same combo then it's a huge difference. It's literally like playing the game for the first time. Very frustraiting when you are trying to be a competitive newcomer.

I don't know about subtle. If you can hit a combo 100/100 at home on your TV and then go to a local and can't hit that same combo then it's a huge difference. It's literally like playing the game for the first time. Very frustraiting when you are trying to be a competitive newcomer.
I mostly would characterize it as subtle only because you have to be the kind of person who really has an appreciation of the intricacies of the engine to feel it. Point being if you show someone off the street a laggy monitor versus the EVO standard they likely wont notice a difference unless they put the time in to develop an eye for it.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
just ordered a benq RL2460HT. so far i was playing on an LG 47". gonna post my experience once the monitor arrives.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Oh God, it totally makes a difference.

Everytime I travel to a tournament it takes me forever to adjust to the monitors, ugh. Although I know it's just me, sometimes I question these "lagless" monitors. For example, at Evo'14, my station had 4 monitors and they all felt totally different. Jupitor played at my station and confirmed with me that they indeed all felt different.

What is the best monitor to get? Im going to get one to play at home before I make my debut offline in MKX.

Reactions: jmt

Mahjunia

Noob
Monitors have a big factor specially in FPS games like CS, I used to be a top player in CSGO in my country and believe me, having a 120/144hz 1ms monitor it's like playing a different game. And here in MKX I don't think it will give you any sort of advantage but it will matter in your timing, hitting or dropping combos.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
Has your monitor arrived yet? How has your experience been?
arrived yesterday though i ordered the benq RL2455HM instead of the RL2460HT (canceled that order because RL2455HM was cheaper and i didn't need the hdmi output and the stand is ok) does it make a difference? yep totally. dvorah's bug cancel for example is much easier on the monitor. i don't know why probably because of the input lag of my tv. it's also more comfortable for fighting games (for me at least) sitting directly in front of the display instead of being far more away when playing on the couch.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Thanks for the reply @PND_Ketchup from your experience would most places supply low MS screens, and would competitors rage if they had to play out their pools on normal TVs, even if they are like 6MS? Compared to BenQs 1GTGms?
If you look on displaylag.com you'll see that some of the manufacturer's latency specs are useless for determining actual lag.

vcuzzo23

Looking for the MAWWPP Bucket!
I never even gave this a thought. Just like to thank you guys for the input. I personally use a 50 inch tv but I don't attend locals or anything. But I plan too and will keep this in mind.. thanks

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Monitor choice is extremely important.

Even tiny differences can mess you up. I have a couple ASUS 236H (original EVO monitors
2009 23" ASUS VH236H 1080p 60hz LCD Monitor AVG 10ms) that are still great today. My friend upgraded to a BenQ which is also 10ms and it took me 30 minutes to get used to it. That sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

unseen

Noob
Hello,
This topic caught my attention, I never thought there would be that much of difference. I will give it a try when I get relocated for another job soon.

However, in my opinion, this mostly matters for hardcore gamers / competitors in tournaments, but those who play for fun on big screen TVs to enjoy the graphics, wouldn't care much about latency.
On the other hand, when friends are visiting each others to have some PS fun, most of these non professional use normal TVs with latency, so there won't be any difference when they play for fun, relaxing on the sofa and having beer.

Does anybody have an idea what's the biggest size monitor which has been released ?

Thanks

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
h
But also if you're buying a monitor DO NOT go off of response time that's more of a stat for LoL and Starcraft players I think. What we are looking for is the lowest INPUT LAG, some monitors will have 2ms response time but have input lag of like 20ms.
Hi Scooby. Could really use a hand here if you have the time. I use a TV, and I'm noticing frame differences big time playing on other peoples monitors. I really want to get this fixed. However, I also play competitive Dota and Starcraft as well so I wouldn't mind one that was best for all three (MKX is the #1 priority). I live in Australia and don't have a huge amount of money to spend, size however isn't important I can work with a smaller screen if need be. Would it be possible for you (or anyone else) to recommend me something that suits my needs? Thanks heaps in advance anyone who wants to help :)

MAN0

DevilApes
Just sold my 42" 3D TV and ordered the Asus MX279H monitor. According to displaylag.com it has 9ms input lag and 5ms response time.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
Hi Scooby. Could really use a hand here if you have the time. I use a TV, and I'm noticing frame differences big time playing on other peoples monitors. I really want to get this fixed. However, I also play competitive Dota and Starcraft as well so I wouldn't mind one that was best for all three (MKX is the #1 priority). I live in Australia and don't have a huge amount of money to spend, size however isn't important I can work with a smaller screen if need be. Would it be possible for you (or anyone else) to recommend me something that suits my needs? Thanks heaps in advance anyone who wants to help :)
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

They have a really good database there. Unfortunately the prices aren't listed on their site but there are amazon links to 99% of them.
I use the Asus VX238h it costs about $180 (USD), has 10ms input lag and a ridiculous contrast ratio.

Just sold my 42" 3D TV and ordered the Asus MX279H monitor. According to displaylag.com it has 9ms input lag and 5ms response time.
You have no idea how bad I want that monitor to replace my shitty one (3 monitor setup)

MAN0

DevilApes
@EmoScoobyDoo I'm loving it's design but these lagless IPS panels come a bit pricey, better start saving up! :p

@I GOT HANDS Look for VA or TN type panels, they cost less and have better response times/input lag. Only downside is their bad viewing angle.

i have same monitor, absolutely lag free.
TO OP when buying tv or monitor look for response time in MS.
for example our ASUS according to specs on their website has 5 ms response time which is amazing. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917359-REG/asus_mx279h_27_led_lcd.html/c/product/#inpage:IN STOCK?gclid=CJ2nw4KosscCFSQIwwodInoICQ
but SMART TV for example have more than 100 ms time. which translates to lag and delay. it is really not much noticeable in casual games. but in fighting games those 100 really matter. to translate it in a more casual language. 100 ms is around 1 sec delay, if you're playing online add to default 1 sec + your online lag and... you get the point.
TLDR: they matter.