What's new

MLG NOT raising cap. Buy your Pass ASAP

astronout

see you at the top.
You are getting off topic. I am not arguing against pre purchasing passes. I am arguing against capping the tournament. It doesn't make sense in any business model. Also, since you seem to have the financial information of MLG, I would love to see your proof of all of these added expenses. I can't imagine it costs them more than 50 dollars per player to raise the cap. Please do not use information you pull out of your ass to validate your arguments.

How is this off topic? If anything, you're off topic. Proof of added expenses? How about some common sense: longer tournaments = more paid staff that stay longer; additional setups (TV's, Systems, Games, Mixamps, Cables, etc) to account for more people; etc. DiGiovanni was quoted saying "The success of our business is based on a combination of sponsorship, digital advertising via our online programming...and licensing", not huge bracketed tournaments. No information out of my ass, rather, common sense and words from the Co-Founder himself.

astronout

see you at the top.
What do you think is the biggest success of the past few years of eSports really catching on in North America, for you personally at MLG, or the scene in general? What’s the biggest challenge?
From Sundance: "I think the biggest success of the past few years has been audience growth. The viewership numbers for our events and at other major eSports competitions have been staggering and we are just scratching the surface. I think the biggest challenge in the eSports world is the ability to build a scalable, profitable, sustainable business that can withstand the test of time. We are finally reaching a point where that is attainable."

you don't need huge tournaments to attain the success MLG has grasped. Why do you think the Arenas and other side tournaments, with notably smaller numbers of competitors, MLG throws are successes? Not because they are making money from the passes, instead, it's from the marketing of the best, most popular and competitive players and games and resulting viewership.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
How is this off topic? If anything, you're off topic. Proof of added expenses? How about some common sense: longer tournaments = more paid staff that stay longer; additional setups (TV's, Systems, Games, Mixamps, Cables, etc) to account for more people; etc. DiGiovanni was quoted saying "The success of our business is based on a combination of sponsorship, digital advertising via our online programming...and licensing", not huge bracketed tournaments. No information out of my ass, rather, common sense and words from the Co-Founder himself.
Right, MLG makes 50 dollars per player. If there was 20 extra players, thats 1000 extra dollars, and probably 45 mins of extra game time. Just saying. Don't act like there wouldn't be any revenue. If a 128 man tournament was not feasable, they would not have advertised it in the first place.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Lol ok man lets see you plan something this big and let me know how it goes. Honestly even people that have registered won't show for whatever reason. Treatment losing anything by capping
I would give them suggestions, but it's not like they would ever lend a ear to me anyways.

astronout

see you at the top.
Right, MLG makes 50 dollars per player. If there was 20 extra players, thats 1000 extra dollars, and probably 45 mins of extra game time. Just saying. Don't act like there wouldn't be any revenue. If a 128 man tournament was not feasable, they would not have advertised it in the first place.
is it about feasibility or profitability? if profitability is MLG's concern, which im most certain it is, reducing cost would be the number 1 priority. I don't see a 128 man tournament being more profitable than a smaller one.

I would think MLG would know what is best for their business. If that means pissing of a relatively small and almost insignificant number of competitors (the MK community) to satisfy their needs, i'd be willing to bet they would do it in a heartbeat.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
What do you think is the biggest success of the past few years of eSports really catching on in North America, for you personally at MLG, or the scene in general? What’s the biggest challenge?
From Sundance: "I think the biggest success of the past few years has been audience growth. The viewership numbers for our events and at other major eSports competitions have been staggering and we are just scratching the surface. I think the biggest challenge in the eSports world is the ability to build a scalable, profitable, sustainable business that can withstand the test of time. We are finally reaching a point where that is attainable."

you don't need huge tournaments to attain the success MLG has grasped. Why do you think the Arenas and other side tournaments, with notably smaller numbers of competitors, MLG throws are successes? Not because they are making money from the passes, instead, it's from the marketing of the best, most popular and competitive players and games and resulting viewership.
Wow someone gets it. I knew i couldn't afford Dallas, and I promise you a lot of the people who are complaining had no intention of going anyway. People always do this. Why are they even worried about the cap? The best of the best are going to be there so for those of us who couldn't make it... It's time to make predictions and get HYPE for the stream. If somehow this is the major event sendoff for MK (I doubt it is) let's enjoy every second while REO, Pig, the CD bros, the best of Texas, GGA, DJT and MIT, Gross, and our two time EVO champion PerfectLegend go to war for MK's most hyped MLG so far while Tom Brady makes it all the more hype by calling every match like it's a football game coming down to the last play. In the words of Stone Cold ET: OH HELL YEAH!!!

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Wasn't the orginal word a 128 man cap?

And Pig Of The Hut, I mean absolutely no disrespect. Just throwing that out there now. Just having a conversation man, I respect the hell out of you as a member of the community.

I just have a severe SEVERE problem with pros blaming the community for everything.
The ORIGINAL word was actually 64 but because we sold out the 64 early enough they gave us 32 more. The problem with them giving us more passes AGAIN is EVERYTHING is run on time and they would need extra set ups and judges to run the tournament and those all cost money.

Pig Of The Hut what I don't get is you say they don't want a tournament with a bunch of byes but....a 96 man bracket is essentially a 128 man bracket with 32 byes no? I could be wrong.

aj1701

Noob
The ORIGINAL word was actually 64 but because we sold out the 64 early enough they gave us 32 more. The problem with them giving us more passes AGAIN is EVERYTHING is run on time and they would need extra set ups and judges to run the tournament and those all cost money.

Pig Of The Hut what I don't get is you say they don't want a tournament with a bunch of byes but....a 96 man bracket is essentially a 128 man bracket with 32 byes no? I could be wrong.
But they won't be trying up extra judges with the cap at 96.

We forced them to raise there cap, that's a pretty good sign that MK will be back next season. That means that all you people who are mad they won't be getting a pass, you waited longer then 96 people to buy one, now you can wait longer then 96 people to play.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Anyone who knows anything about holding events like these is that they're expensive as fuck, mostly because of the cost of union employees that come with renting out a convention center for 3 days. Convention centers charge a metric fuck-ton of money for seating, equipment setups, lighting, catering, sales licenses, etc. If you've ever been to a business conference before, you'll know that they usually charge hundreds to thousands of dollars for this very reason. $50 is actually quite cheap for a venue of that size, all things considered.

Also keep in mind that, between spectators and other games, they could also be pushing the limits of the fire code. There are lots of reasons to not raise the cap, but there are very few reasons why any one person should have waited so long to purchase a pass. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. No biggie, just remember to save up in advance for next time.

(REMINDER: NEC IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. START PLANNING ACCORDINGLY)