What's new

MLG Anaheim Scheduled June 20-21 w/ Injustice 2/3

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Because the lead game designer himself specifically said it is.
He said that but the game he originally designed is not the one we play now. Damage has been normalized, interactables no longer appear as often, interactable damage has been reduced, armor now reduces damage taken and many other changes. It may have been designed for 3/5 for version 1.0 which had crazy damage and not many options to avoid said damage but for 1.6 with damage reduction and normalization, 3/5 seems like overkill.

In my opinion ST is a game that is match up heavy, has random damage and super short sets. I think that game is closer to injustice that MvC3 is and that game has been 2/3 forever.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
This is why a CIVILIZED conversation is being had while 95% of the on topic responses in here are civilized opinions as well....can't hurt to discuss and ask?
And I'm trying to tell the remaining 5% to lower their pitchforks and torches before they ruin it for the rest of us. I've seen people get CRAZY on here when they don't get what they want. I'm sure that you've seen it, too.

Because if that happens and MLG Columbus comes around later this year.....there is nothing going to be "Semi" about "Semi Evil Ryu".

...........................................that's an Evil Ryu joke. To reflect on how shitty I will become.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
And I'm trying to tell the remaining 5% to lower their pitchforks and torches before they ruin it for the rest of us. I've seen people get CRAZY on here when they don't get what they want. I'm sure that you've seen it, too.

Because if that happens and MLG Columbus comes around later this year.....there is nothing going to be "Semi" about "Semi Evil Ryu".

...........................................that's an Evil Ryu joke. To reflect on how shitty I will become.
MLG was obviously worried about bringing us on board with the comments that surfaced earlier this year. We're on thin ice IMO and need to prove we get the numbers and interest before we go making demands

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
YOu'r game got in, theirs no continuation rule, 2/3 is fine.
Do we actually know that for sure? There are a few rules but things like level select and other rules are not yet on their site. Look at the rules for Smash vs KI and Injustice. I don't believe we have the complete rule set for MLG yet.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
As a community, we haven't even AGREED on 3/5 being the standard.
So why are some people trying to speak to Adam on something that the community hasn't even solidified yet?

Please don't say "cuz MK"

So why are some people trying to speak to Adam on something that the community hasn't even solidified yet?

Some people think they are the voice of the community. Duh! And you better watch yourself because the "community" has it out for you east coasters, next thing you know you and your buddies will be starting your 3/5 sets with an automatic 0-1 handicap since it's only fair because you get to go to more tournaments in your area.

I also want cake ;_;
PNW does injustice 3/5 and it starts coming down to who still has their patience and nerves under control set after set after set. You see players come unraveled trying to just finish it.
Now I'm really confused. We have people claiming the game was designed for 3/5 despite the fact that there is no tournament options to speak of that would indicate so. And now it seems if we are to play the game the way it's designed we have to bring a camel pack of red bull and a cup to pee in, in order to compete. NRS are masochistic game designers.

So here's the thing. I'd concede that the majority of players do indeed prefer 3/5 if nothing else the vocal majority do. And as such it would make sense to petition MLG to do 3/5 IF and only if it's thought that the 2/3 format was an oversight on their part. Now I suspect they have actually considered their options and and went with 2/3 for a reason and as such it was not an oversight on their part. In which case campaigning them to change it will only serve to be an annoyance. MLG is doing Injustice a huge favor by putting up this money for the game, it's probably best not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Some want 3/5 and some fine with 2/3 . It would be nice to 3/5 since we are having multiple IGAU tournaments marking the effort to go 3/5 nd it didnt disappoint with mk, so I and others are sure it will go great for igau as well. If we dnt get it, we should all be happy that MLG brought us back. Now b4 all this stuff, we better hit that cap!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Now I suspect they have actually considered their options and and went with 2/3 for a reason and as such it was not an oversight on their part. In which case campaigning them to change it will only serve to be an annoyance. MLG is doing Injustice a huge favor by putting up this money for the game, it's probably best not to bite the hand that feeds you.
I think everyone is over-thinking this. They likely just chose what they thought was the default for the game. Chances are that they'll fix it once they learn more. There's no need for a campaign -- just some simple information will suffice.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think everyone is over-thinking this. They likely just chose what they thought was the default for the game. Chances are that they'll fix it once they learn more. There's no need for a campaign -- just some simple information will suffice.
I think fix is the incorrect word.
How many tournaments have been run with 2/3 compared to 3/5?

Like some people have said, ask nicely for what you want. Accept what you're given on this one. Enjoy the mayhem that MLG will bring.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
This is all inquiry/information based.
I for one, don't care...I will play the game regardless.

I just want to get to MLG. All I care about.

bc it is what should be done . there are no rounds. life lead in this game is the absolute strongest factor. it s made for 3/5 for reasons u and i already know man.

Vagrant

Noob
He said that but the game he originally designed is not the one we play now. Damage has been normalized, interactables no longer appear as often, interactable damage has been reduced, armor now reduces damage taken and many other changes. It may have been designed for 3/5 for version 1.0 which had crazy damage and not many options to avoid said damage but for 1.6 with damage reduction and normalization, 3/5 seems like overkill.

i said several times the the damage output and gameflow was always intended for 3/5. 2/3 also doesn't give much time to download an opponent in a game where rounds do not reset things.

feel free to be stubborn and believe you know better tho.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Because we have spoken

Sorry u disagree 1/everybody

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

<3 u brother BUT I do believe "most" of the community here and on the Interwebs would prefer 3/5 BUT I can be totally wrong...

Should we create the "Definitive 2/3 or 3/5 Poll thread " ?

to be fair, high-level vampire savior and marvel 2 proved that the "you can't adapt in 2/3 in a game without rounds" line is BS. those are the two fastest-paced FGs ever, and far less forgiving than inj or KI...yet they worked just fine with 2/3 until finals.

in marvel 2, especially, we had justin & sanford with a year+ long streak of ONLY getting eliminated by each other, and the general dominance of "the 3 kings"...and that was all in tournaments that went 2/3 until finals. had some upsets in there for sure, but even in 3/5 that would happen with a game that lasts 10 years and has infinites with no combo breakers.

while i personally prefer 3/5 in general and am curious why @UltraDavid doesn't, i think marvel 3 is the only game where it's ever truly been a life-or-death matter. inj will be fine either way, please don't push MLG's buttons too hard over this.

Sami

Noob
3/5 is because IGAU is such a momentum-based game. One big combo followed by a wrong-guess on the follow-up mix-up can lead to most of a health-bar gone in 10 seconds and online other FG games, the bars do not reset when one is depleted. There are some matches that end up going until the timer runs out, but these are very rare. It may not have one-hit touch of death combos like UMvC3, but it most certainly has two-hit touch of death combos, especially in the corner. Opening up people in this game is also a lot easier than in a lot of other fighters due to the speed and variety of mix-ups available.

As a steam whore, it's far more entertaining watching 3/5 sets too. You actually get a proper sense of each player's style, what their weaknesses are, and so on. One-trick pony gimmicks are quickly used and then respected, meaning both players have to continuously adapt over what could be 5 matches. It makes for a far more interesting and tactical viewing experience.

to be fair, high-level vampire savior and marvel 2 proved that the "you can't adapt in 2/3 in a game without rounds" line is BS. those are the two fastest-paced FGs ever, and far less forgiving than inj or KI...yet they worked just fine with 2/3 until finals.

in marvel 2, especially, we had justin & sanford with a year+ long streak of ONLY getting eliminated by each other, and the general dominance of "the 3 kings"...and that was all in tournaments that went 2/3 until finals. had some upsets in there for sure, but even in 3/5 that would happen with a game that lasts 10 years and has infinites with no combo breakers.

while i personally prefer 3/5 in general and am curious why @UltraDavid doesn't, i think marvel 3 is the only game where it's ever truly been a life-or-death matter. inj will be fine either way, please don't push MLG's buttons too hard over this.
well i agree with your first two paragraphs. adaptation can totally be done in 2/3 and has been done in less forgiving games. vampire and marvel 2 are great examples. super turbo, a game where one combo or one positional advantage can end a round, has been played mostly at 2/3 in the us and 1/1 in japan for 20 years with few complaints. just the other day i was playing sf4 ae2012 online, picked dhalsim, got matched against a cammy, and got double perfected because i guessed wrong at round start both times. there are lots of games that can be volatile and end quickly that have worked just fine with 2/3. i think a lot of injustice players overestimate how volatile the game is compared to other games.

also, different people and characters do well in shorter sets compared to longer sets, and i dunno why preferring one over the other is any better. some people adapt quickly in short sets but are susceptible to counter-adaptation in long sets, some people are the opposite, and i don't really think one is better than the other. same with short term vortex characters vs long term space control characters; different rulesets are biased for one or the other. 2/3 is the norm, so in picking 3/5 you specifically change the rules in favor of longer term players and characters. i dunno if i wanna bother with that.

there are also time concerns, but i'd think mlg could plan around that. other tournaments already have, after all.

but all of this has been litigated before and the igau community has mostly been down with 3/5 anyway. it's more important to me that the community gets to choose a standard, and if that's 3/5 games, then meh, fine with me.