What's new

MLG 2012 636% Viewership = Huge Huge Revenue Gains

aj1701

Noob
SC2 has been at MLG since late 2010. MK didn't play an intricate part until March of this year. I'm not saying that MK is solely responsible for the increased numbers, but they certainly had something to do with it.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that got the hd pass and only watched mk at mlg. Or was I lol?

No, attending a tournament won't increase viewership. Promotion does.
Promotion is more powerful but attendance isn't irrelevant. Just look what happened to KoF. More importantly the conventional wisdom among Broodwar fans is that without the game being good enough to play it wouldn't have grown in the manner it did. This holds true for any game. No one wants to watch game people don't like playing.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Adam said it on Twitter, when everyone was all bitchy about MLG. He said it's not about profiting, he feels MK (Fighters) are great, and they want to help build their community because the gaming community help build MLG.
Fighting games are on the rise in popularity. They are also far easier for a casual viewer to watch and understand compared to RTS, FPS, and MOBA's. I think MLG is trying to get in on the ground floor, because fighting games will eventually be the top grossing esport (so to speak).

Let's face it, MLG is not a charity. Hell, I've heard rumors that they are underwater financially. They are trying to make money and they are looking toward the future with their decision to bring fighters back.