What's new

MKX was the #1 selling game of 2015, so why so few viewers on Twitch?

I'm confused why there are so few viewers on Twitch for MKX? Theres tens of thousands of viewers for LoL and other games, but a few hundred on now for MKX. But it was the biggest game this year. I dont get it.
anyone now why?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ehh no matter. The game sold well, I'm sure that'll increase both streams and sales once the DLC comes out too :)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm confused why there are so few viewers on Twitch for MKX? Theres tens of thousands of viewers for LoL and other games, but a few hundred on now for MKX. But it was the biggest game this year. I dont get it.
anyone now why?
For fighting game standards it gets great twitch views

Tournaments and pro player streams always have anywhere from 100-1500 for pro players and 1000-15,000 for tourneys

Some locals don't get views because they aren't interesting or contain infectious personalities and/or not marketed well

Solignac

Noob
I definitely think the FGC is the most worthy of streams. In fighting games, everything is right there on the screen as opposed to games like League of Legends where the spectator cam can often miss things since the map is so big and can't be everywhere at once. But let's face it, even though MK is best selling, LoL and DotA are free to play so it's kind of hard to beat that, so I can imagine their viewership comprises of a lot of 11 year olds (and MK is M rated). Kinda like how Wii Sports was best selling but it came with the Wii. Doc Rekt is right though, good commentary goes a long way. The FT10 between Cowboy and King was much more enjoyable with Kitana Prime and Michaelangelo commentating.

Last edited:

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
For a fighting game it gatheres pretty decent viewership. For an MK game it gatheres a LOT more compared to last years. Also it may be due to prizes, no real good PC port and other issues. Doesn't LeL get around hundred of thousands in prizes?

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I think it's more so the streamers than the game. For example; if Pig, Milk, Sonic, PL, or Neto aren't streaming, no one will watch it. I looked to LoL, and saw this guy with 20,000 viewers. Whichever game he moved to, well then that game spikes in views.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
For a fighting game it gatheres pretty decent viewership. For an MK game it gatheres a LOT more compared to last years. Also it may be due to prizes, no real good PC port and other issues. Doesn't LeL get around hundred of thousands in prizes?
Yeah, they body FGs in payouts.

A lot of people would have picked up MKX for the story and other single player modes only and not made the transition to playing against others. Being beaten online will have scared a lot of other players off, the netcode will have pissed off others to the point of losing all interest. It's a shame, ah well...

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
MOBA's are also team based games, they sell better. If a member of the team outperforms or is being a douche, they just replace him. Whilst if PL loses 13/0 his fans are damaged for life. Oh wait...:DOGE

WATCHD0G

Noob
I think the numbers are pretty solid so far. and like Pig said ESL is one of the main attractions and it coming back;)
Plus KP2 is on the way and you can be damn sure that more people will return.

"Low turnouts" doesn't mean the game is bad or worse than another game.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I have a somewhat different theory on the lower views and playerbase, as compared to MOBAS. When I get on my computer again I'll type it up. In my opinion it's the heart of the FGC's struggle to increase its relevance and numbers. We have a foothold and we are gaining ground, but we aren't even a shadow of the MOBA juggernauts.

I have a somewhat different theory on the lower views and playerbase, as compared to MOBAS. When I get on my computer again I'll type it up. In my opinion it's the heart of the FGC's struggle to increase its relevance and numbers. We have a foothold and we are gaining ground, but we aren't even a shadow of the MOBA juggernauts.
Would like to hear this because for the life of me I can't figure it out.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Because people prefer somehow to watch boring ass Moba games.

Or people who act like idiots.
I know right? I never got how RPG's and LOG type games, Minecraft...lol good lord get so many viewers I tried and was literally falling asleep watching them. Fighters, racers and sports games though I find a lot more entertaining.