What's new

MKX showed what 55 formerly playable characters had been doing and it was magical! What about MK11?

mattteo

Noob
Mortal Kombat X showed what 55 formerly playable characters had been doing and it was part of the magic of the game. Can NRS do that for MK11 too without a comic? I think it will be a flop if they only show the MK1-MK3 characters

In MKX:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero- reformed and leaders of their clans in Earthrealm

Raiden- Protector God role

Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax and Kenshi- best warriors left in Earthrealm, parents

Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda, Kung Jin- kombat kids

Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Sindel, Smoke, Nightwolf, Kabal, Stryker- revenants

Shinnok and Quan Chi- main villains

Kotal Kahn, D'vorah, Erron Black, Ferra/Torr- new Outworld characters

Ermac and Reptile- Kotal Kahn's elite

Mileena, Rain, Tanya, Reiko, Skarlet, Goro, Sheeva, Kintaro, Baraka, Li Mei- war in Outworld

Kano, Tremor, Jarek- Black Dragon group

Havik- main villain in comic

Fujin- Raiden's right hand

Sareena, Frost, Bo'Rai Cho- story NPCs

Shujinko- in charge of the Kang temple

Cyrax and Sektor- stand-off in the comic

Khameleon (?)- shown in ending to be with more saurians in Earthrealm

Daegon- backstage villain in comic

Taven- still sleeping, awoken in ending

Shang Tsung- in ending, has his soul bound to Shao Kahn's palace, waiting for something to bring him back to life

Drahmin and Moloch- working for Quan Chi in the comic

Mavado- in the comic kidnaps Cassie and Jacqui

Hsu Hao- killed by Scorpion in the comic

There were some mentions of Nitara, Jade (probably her in Kitana's ending), Kobra or Onaga, but we never got to see a model for them, so I'm not even counting those.

Now if, according to Derek Kirtzic and Ed Boon, if MK11 is only taking events from MK1 to MK3, that would be incredibly boring to me, I'm really fed up with those characters and those events. I hope they realize this. Liu Kang and Kung Lao meeting their past goody-goody selves...meh. Sonya fighting with Kano...again? “Ello baby, did you miss me?” is going to get soo redundant. Characters need growth, Sub-Zero needs to get into his 3D era arc progression with the cryomancer heritage in the icy mountains of Outworld asap, Havik, Fujin, Reiko or Sareena have to get some development, everybody loved them when they were on-screen.

I don't know if these guys working there today, like Tyler Landsdown, Derek Kirtzic actually understand anything else than the MK1-MK3 characters. They clearly have a boner for Ultimate MK3, like Kirtzic has admitted in an interview, even though the interviewer was trying to tell him MK Decepton was just that good.

From the people who wrote the awesome things in MK Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon only Jon Greenberg and John Vogel are left and I don't know how much influence they have over what Ed Boon decides anymore. Vogel appears to have taken a big step back. Alexander Barrentine, the third writer from that era, appears to not even be affiliated with NRS anymore. And it's a shame, cause these were really great writers, who brought us Sub-Zero as a cryomancer, Scorpion as a Champion of the Elder Gods, Mileena as Queen of Outworld impersonating Kitana, scenes like this one:
, character development for everyone and great mythology in Deception and Armageddon.

How many charcaters would you show in MK11? Would you rather it had a comic too? Would you like to see 50-60 characters and their whereabouts? Or just the 30 characters from MK3 and the kombat kids? What would you like for any these characters to do in MK11 and where would you like to see them? Shawn Kittelsen is writing the MK11 story with Dom Cianciolo and Jon Greenberg, but he will only focus on the characters Ed Boon and the other bosses tell him to.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think it will be a flop if they only show the MK1-MK3 characters
To be honest I really do prefer the MK trilogy chars, but now that there is a MK game every 4 years, I want to get 2/3 from the trilogy era, and 1/3 from the 3D era/ new chars. I mean, if we get (including DLC) 30 MK chars (without guests) then I'm sure 20 of them being from the trilogy era would be most than perfect, then we could have 6 from the 3D era and finally 4 totally new chars, then you can add 2 guests if you want (not necessarily), for a total of 32 chars, 24 at launch plus 8 DLC.

Another reason I want new chars is because I don't like what NRS did to some chars (imo) like Ermac in MKX :(.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I would prefer if they did a comic again because the last was good. But a lot of those characters just were thrown away. Reiko dies from being dumb, Mavado I think gets killed by Cassie and Jacqui, as you said Scorpion kills Hsu Hao, Quan Chi kills Havik and Dhramin, Kitana kills Moloch, and Sub-Zero kills all the cyber ninjas. Not to say there aren’t still a lot of characters to use but damn they went through them in that comic series

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Your thread title is pretty misleading because you’re counting the characters who we met in the comic but not the game. No, I would not expect mk11 to feature as many characters as mkx+ mkx comic. That’s kind of silly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more characters in mk11’s story mode than we did in mkx’s though.

mattteo

Noob
Your thread title is pretty misleading because you’re counting the characters who we met in the comic but not the game. No, I would not expect mk11 to feature as many characters as mkx+ mkx comic. That’s kind of silly.

It was still MKX though. MKX was a massive title, with everything affiliated to it: comic, mobile etc.

Why would it be silly for MK11, a newer title, in a year with upgraded technology and better resources from the producing company, to show more characters than in MKX?

pure.Wasted

It was still MKX though. MKX was a massive title, with everything affiliated to it: comic, mobile etc.

Why would it be silly for MK11, a newer title, in a year with upgraded technology and better resources from the producing company, to show more characters than in MKX?
...really?

It would be silly because portraying lots of different characters is a very specific feature that takes extremely little time and money in comic book format, and a lot of time and money in a cinematic story mode like MK11.

You're not wrong to expect MK11 to have more resources put into its story mode. You are wrong to expect those resources to go to fulfilling this very particular demand that you prioritize highly, while ignoring the very real possibility that NRS and other players have very different priorities from you, and would rather see those resources put to some other use, such as making the story mode look and animate as good as possible.

mattteo

Noob
Well, then, they really should do a comic. Why not have a comic actually? What would be the reasoning? The last comic did infinite good to MKX, it established the universe, characters like Kotal Kahn and the ones in Outworld, was well received, made players actually enjoy a, let's face it, not so good game.

It's not my demand to prioritize. It's that many individuals have different favourites. If you don't at least sattisfy their needs and show them their favourite, then they will dislike a game that focuses only on Baraka and Kano and the MK1 and MK2 characters. It's what NRS should think or prioritising, not for me to demand it.

pure.Wasted

The last comic did infinite good to MKX
I seriously doubt that.

made players actually enjoy a, let's face it, not so good game.
MKX was the most successful game in MK history, both with players and with critics. You're entitled to your opinion that it was "not so good," but you're deluding yourself if you think that it was in some objective sense a bad game, or that the comic (which 0.01% of MKX players read) somehow made it so much better for so many players.

It's not my demand to prioritize. It's that many individuals have different favourites. If you don't at least sattisfy their needs and show them their favourite, then they will dislike a game that focuses only on Baraka and Kano and the MK1 and MK2 characters. It's what NRS should think or prioritising, not for me to demand it.
I think that the number of people who "will dislike a game that" doesn't show them their favorite characters is incredibly tiny. I think that NRS understands they have very little to gain by constantly trying to appeal to these vocal minorities. I think these vocal minorities are in for a rude awakening about how insignificant they actually are.

mattteo

Noob
MKX was the most successful game in MK history, both with players and with critics. You're entitled to your opinion that it was "not so good," but you're deluding yourself

What are you basing that on??

The only sites that reviewed both MK Deception and MKX (cause other sites from 2005 are not yet active), have given Deception are higher score:

GameSpot:
MK Deception 8.5/10
MKX 8/10

IGN:
MK Deception 8.8
MKX 8.4

And there are more MK games rated better than MKX.

Are you basing it on sales? Surely you couldn't think a game released in 2004 could have had higher sales than one released in 2015. That's like saying MK1 is the worst because it had the least sales of the bunch in 1992.

pure.Wasted

What are you basing that on??
Playstation Metacritic aggregate scores combining all critics. MKX: 83, MK9: 84, Armageddon: 75, Deception: 81, Deadly Alliance: 79.

So... second best, critically. By one percentage point. My bad.

And second best to what? A game that focused exclusively on the MK1-3 cast, hmm. Sucks to be a fan of 3D characters or new characters right now.

Are you basing it on sales? Surely you couldn't think a game released in 2004 could have had higher sales than one released in 2015. That's like saying MK1 is the worst because it had the least sales of the bunch in 1992.
Hey, I'm not the one making outrageous claims like "MKX is a bad game and its tie-in comic that 50 people read salvaged it" based on absolutely nothing. I'm just pointing out that the game did extremely well with critics and players. If you want to back up your opinion with anything other than more opinion, I'd love to hear it.

mattteo

Noob
@pure.Wasted Ok, I got 2 out of three reviewers cause you got 1 (Metacritic) by combining the scores from all playable devices and coming up with an aggregate which I don't know where you found.

So, 2/3 reviewers say that MK deception (a 3D era game) is better than MKX. Sucks to be a fan of Cassie Cage, doesn't it?

But I don't want to make this a hate thread, I'm just showing you where your above analysis leads to. If you claim it sucks to be a 3D era fan, then be prepared to know your favourite game had a worse critical acclaim (not a bad one, just worse).

Back on topic....where would you put the 80 characters in the franchise at the start of MK11? Would you like to see them all and all of the realms?

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I don't think all chars and realms are necessary for mk11, it doesn't need to be too packed, but some kind of backstory, cameo etc. would do just great.