What's new

MKX pdp or HFD4 controller/fight pad for DS4 alternative (for MKX gameplay)

C-Sword

Noob
so i finally got my hands on the hori FC4 - initial impressions (tested on pc - plugged in and worked straight away with no apps):
- the dial on the back left on default makes me stuff up back forward moves the same as the ps4 DS4 pad... moving the dial to 'S' corrects this but makes much more difficult for me to diagnial jump

button placement is a bit jarring at first but probably nothing i couldnt get used to
i like how the bottons are bigger, the triggers feel great too

but my first point regarding diagnal jumping is a deal breaker :/ i'll keep playing but im guessing its back to the xboxone pad for now

anyone got the hori fps controller? im basically looking for an xbox one controller with better triggers for a ps4/pc
Weird, I don't have that issue, that was my controller of choice for MK9, I also used it a bit for MKX before switching to the DualShock 2. Maybe take more time to get used to it.

It is, there were people using it a Evo. Why would people think that the controller would be banned at tourneys? Because it has turbo function? Most arcade sticks have turbo.
Yea some tourneys in the past banned controllers with turbo functions.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
theres always the fear that someone will turbo tea bag and cause an extinction level salt event

btw ive been using a hori FC4 for a week or so and its pretty nice. not all that different than a ds4 imo but i will definitely be utilizing the 2 extra buttons come SFV time

Jolt

Uprise
I have the Hori Fighting Commander 4 and it's pretty awesome. I never had trouble with back-forward inputs on the DS4 (a lot of people complain about those) but I have ruined the d-pads of TWO Dualshock 4s to date. I decided it was time to get a controller that was both less expensive and better suited for MK. So far, the FC4 hasn't disappointed, though admittedly I passed it on to my girlfriend. Every time I use it, it's a pleasure though. If I'm using a pad, it will definitely be the FC4. For now, I'm trying my hand at a stick.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
I ordered my hori pad largely based off this thread and it should be arriving any day now. Can't wait to confirm that the reason I suck is due to the DS4 and then immediately level up to scrub :(

Jolt

Uprise
Just thought everyone should know: With the Hori FC4, we found a workaround for the touchpad in my house. Actually, half of it was posted on TYM and I found it in a Google Search.

1. For resetting in practice, you can go into game options and enable pause delay. This will let you reset training by double tapping options but the downside is you have to HOLD pause in order to get it to pause if you want to change an option or check your move list or something.

2. For KOTH, you can go full screen in any match BEFORE (or after) your own by...long pressing options(?) might be double tap options. Can't remember now, sorry lol I let my girlfriend use the pad so I could use my Real Arcade Pro V5. But thanks to the pause delay, she CAN go full screen in KOTH, she just has to make sure it happens before she gets to the character select screen

unseen

Noob
Hello,

I was looking for HFC4 review/s for sometime, although I have it.
but I was wondering if someone would be having a minority with its control.

I stopped gaming since long time, last games I played were MK3 on PC, and UMK3 on Sega.
and I am very much used to the Sega dpad with 6 buttons (which was the reason for me for order the HFC)

as per old sega's pad, it had A B C X Y Z buttons
where as:
A = LP
B = BLK
C = LK
X = HP
Y = RUN
Z = HK

My hands memory muscle still can control it this way blindly.
so I thought I could get the HFC4 since it's almost similar. I got the PS4 recently just for MKX lol.
and so far no complaints about the pad itself since it's responsive.
however, when using the R2 (BLK) on the DualShock to use armor with a move, it would be so easy since you will be using a different finger for the R2.
but it would really hard to use on the HFC if buttons were set exactly as the old Sega controller, as:
1 = HP
2 = Grap (since there's no run button like the old MK)
3 = LP
4 = BLOCK
R2 = LK
R1 = HK

Did anybody use the Sega controller with 6 buttons before ? and tried to use the same control order on HFC?
or do you use the default buttons ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Well I had the Hori FC4 for a while now. I have no problems with the DS4 or any issue with the R2. Then again, I use the R1 as my block button. I can play both the DS4 and Hori pad equally fine. But my final judgement is the Hori is a better pad. I can do instant airs projectiles much easier with the Hori than I can do with the DS4. Also one thing I notice is when I play online, there is noticable lag with the DS4 compared to the Hori. My moves come out much faster with the FC4. Even offline. Plus I love how the trigger buttons feel on the FC4 as well. So the plus for me with the FC4 is no input lag, triggers feel better, and the Dpad response is better. Once you keep playing with it you won't even notice the other two buttons. Just takes time to get use to. It's a great pad and I am glad I purchased it. Looking to get another one.

Do not purchase the PDP fight pad it's garbage. Don't waste your money.

unseen

Noob
I noticed the same thing with DS4, after I was switching between FC and the DS, I noticed the FC4 had faster response when trying fast combos, plus bigger buttons for the Hori makes you switch buttons even quicker.
for the meantime, I kept the controls of FC4 as default for 2 reasons, the R2 (blk) button for the enhanced moves, and because most of combos that people write online use 1 to 4 numbers, or just triangle / square etc. and I'm used to terms as HP / LP / HK etc.. and need to re-translate the whole moves for the new buttons setup again.
So I thought maybe someone who's an old school player went through this as well when using the R2 / Block for EX :)

I've seen too many reviews for the PDP, and you are right, its reviews are garbage.
some of the most FC4 reviews say the pad is bad too, though I think the users are harsh when using the pad.
My Sega Pads which came with it, never been changed, nor have been damaged, although with excessive UMK3 playing back then.
And I've seen how a lot of people use their pads, and breaking the shit out of them lol.