What's new

MKX Online Ranked Matches | "First to 1" VS "First to 2"

How MX Online Ranked Matches should work?

• Total voters

Spheris

Noob
I've always thought Online Ranked Matches in Fighting Games should always be First to 2 games (or Best of 3 games, whatever you want to call it), same as tourney standards. Since NRS announced MKX and the 3 variations of each character, I really really think it's time to maybe adjust for the better and it should work this way in MKX. Many times you will see a better player lose the first match because he is still adapting to the opponent, and in the end win the FT2 set, so a FT1 does not reflect the "Rank" a player may have in the end. Or maybe, time for a real change, we can go all in to a FT3 Online Ranked Matches.

Online Ranked Matches rules for FT2/FT3 matches could be:

- Blind pick
- Best of 3 rounds per match
- 99 game seconds
- Loser of the previous match can change anything (character/variation/stage)
- Winner of the previous match can't change anything, he must keep the same character and variation and cannot change stage (ideally the game wouldn't allow you to select anything in the character selection or stage selection screen if you won the previous match and the opponent, who lost the previous match, decided to change something)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
First to one, but have a separate option for 'Tournament' modes, i.e. best of 3/5. A proper elimination tournament would be cool, though moot if they get the net code wrong.

Spheris

Noob
First to one, but have a separate option for 'Tournament' modes, i.e. best of 3/5. A proper elimination tournament would be cool, though moot if they get the net code wrong.
Yeah, I added a FT3 option to the poll. Anyway, "Tournament" mode would be something apart from "Ranked" mode, and I think it deserves it's own topic if anyone wants to open it.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Well i think rank will be useless just like in mk9 where some foolish bastards cheated to get on top with statics like 14000 wins and 1 losses. And everytime you play him he runs away and cant even land a single descent combo.
For instance was PRINZ-H from the european servers

BRUTALITY

Banned
Well i think rank will be useless just like in mk9 where some foolish bastards cheated to get on top with statics like 14000 wins and 1 losses. And everytime you play him he runs away and cant even land a single descent combo.
For instance was PRINZ-H from the european servers
bro thats 90% of ranked lol

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I say standard first to one, that way you don't play players who are Worse than you too much but also get to play a lot of people

Spheris

Noob
I'm gonna disagree, OP, simply because you had variation lock for winner. It's obviously winner is character locked and can change variation only if loser changes character.
I don't think it's obvious, in fact I fully disagree with that.

If you won, and loser changes anything for counter-pick, you shouldn't be able to counter-pick the counter-pick at all, unless you lose the next match. Even if it's blind pick and you don't know what to counter-pick with a change of variation, it's the logical rule for me not being able to change anything, because the loser is building up a new strategy based on the previous triplet of (character + variation + stage) you used and won with, and the winner being able to change anything of that triplet would invalidate the purpose of being able to change things if you lost.

Last edited:

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Definitely first to one. Point of ranked is to just get quickly paired up to someone random and gain experience against a range of characters. If you find someone good you can invite them to a set. Would be ridiculous to be forced to play more games with randoms who don't even understand the game.

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer

If you won, and loser changes anything for counter-pick, you shouldn't be able to counter-pick the counter-pick at all, unless you lose the next match. Even if it's blind pick and you don't know what to counter-pick with a change of variation, it's the logical rule for me not being able to change anything, because the loser is building up a new strategy based on the previous triplet of (character + variation + stage) you used and won with, and the winner being able to change anything of that triplet would invalidate the purpose of being able to change things if you lost.
Or you could have it go like this, if Loser chooses Character Select:
• Winner is locked for character, Loser is not
• If Loser changes variation only, Winner can't change anything
• If Loser changes character, Winner can change variation, he chooses first and Loser can see the variation picked, then Loser chooses his variation

Seems like a good way to adapt tournament rules to MKX's new variation system. That way Winner still mostly has the same moveset, and Loser can even choose his best variation against the Winner's, no matter the outcome.

cyke_out

Noob

There have been a couple of threads about this topic, each with 100's of posts. Arguments are flung, examples from past games that have used the exact same variation mechanic are cited as reason for winning changing variation, flames are ignited, butts are hurt.. Honestly, the consensus is pretty much what I stated above. I'm sure if you really wish to restart the debate it won't be too hard to find those threads.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
What we should be asking is can we see the pings of our opponent before we decide to play against them? I'm not going to play someone who's using Mcdonalds wifi if I can help it.
But then no one will play me. My wifi service is an aluminium rod held in place by a piece of bacon connected to a car battery. Are you saying that I don´t deserve to get games?

GhosT

Noob
I surprised myself. After a short thought I'm going to say ft1 is best for ranked. Only reasons are for those connections that suck I don't want to deal with 2 more or 1 more game. And also I think ft1 is good for learning to adjust quickly to other playstyle. We can still always do unranked sets for more games or mu knowledge

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Ranked is where I go to troll EXTRA hard. Ft1 for me.

Trolling is pretty much the only use for ranked imo.