What's new

MKX meter being built on doing damage

Watching MKX I noticed that now the characters build meter on doing damage unlike in MK9 where you built no meter for dealing damage.

I saw small amounts of meter being built on performing a special move (just like MK9)
I saw meter being built from taking damage (just like MK9)
I saw first hit meter building 1 bar (just like MK9)
2 bars of meter is used for breaker (just like MK9)
3 bars of meter is used for X-Ray (just like MK9)
I saw characters starting with no bars of meter (unlike MK9). Which fixes the first hit bonus giving you immediate breaker from MK9.

Do you think building meter on doing damage is to compensate for characters not starting with a bar in MKX?

Or did they just tune the E3 version to build meter that way just so they could show off their big ticket items more often (X-rays, EX moves etc.)?

Maasik

Mortal
I think building meter on dealing damage is a way to balance the less special-move-oriented characters building meter as quickly as or on par with the more special-move-oriented characters. This seems fair because now your Johnny Cage's can be building meter as fast as your Kenshi's without having to rely on not-so-great specials or GETTING hit. Rather, they can still be building meter while just combo'ing, so I really like the meter changes so far and agree with them.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Probably depend on their variation, would their variation be purely zoning? or rushdown? or lil bit of both?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I think building meter on dealing damage is a way to balance the less special-move-oriented characters building meter as quickly as or on par with the more special-move-oriented characters. This seems fair because now your Johnny Cage's can be building meter as fast as your Kenshi's without having to rely on not-so-great specials or GETTING hit. Rather, they can still be building meter while just combo'ing, so I really like the meter changes so far and agree with them.
except Cage was building meter easily anyways because of all the pressure he does.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I remember when MK9 was in development, all the designers said specifically none of the meter stuff was anywhere near final or balanced. Pretty much everything is just demo purposes.

The super meter seems to be the one thing NRS hasn't touched from MK9. Maybe super meter is now built differently for each character?

Maasik

Mortal
except Cage was building meter easily anyways because of all the pressure he does.
Lol I'm just using him as an example, but it's funny that's what you took away from my post. BTW look at the difference in meter gain and HOW each character is gaining meter.

Watching MKX I noticed that now the characters build meter on doing damage unlike in MK9 where you built no meter for dealing damage.

I saw small amounts of meter being built on performing a special move (just like MK9)
I saw meter being built from taking damage (just like MK9)
I saw first hit meter building 1 bar (just like MK9)
2 bars of meter is used for breaker (just like MK9)
3 bars of meter is used for X-Ray (just like MK9)
I saw characters starting with no bars of meter (unlike MK9). Which fixes the first hit bonus giving you immediate breaker from MK9.

Do you think building meter on doing damage is to compensate for characters not starting with a bar in MKX?

Or did they just tune the E3 version to build meter that way just so they could show off their big ticket items more often (X-rays, EX moves etc.)?
In an interview they confirmed that meter is built faster than MK9.

Lol I'm just using him as an example, but it's funny that's what you took away from my post. BTW look at the difference in meter gain and HOW each character is gaining meter.
Watching that youtube match again... Why did they let Kabal overhead hooksword special move hit airborne opponents! Kabal not balanced!

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
That's not a good example to show. What you showed me is how broken Kabal is and not the advantages of a defensive character in meter building.

Show me a Sub vs Cage match instead.

kabelfritz

Master
the right way would be rewarding with meter for doing something good, which is dealing damage and blocking correctly