What's new

MKT help needed

I recently pulled out my old psx and deicded to have a blast on MKT. However, i can only master the basics and i would really like to learn combos and do other more advanced moves. If anyone could post some simple combos or peices of advice i would be grateful. My current best, with reptile, a slow forceball to an uppercut, which is very poor in comparsion to many.

Cheers Gomez360

Many usefull combos are covered in the end of the Character Guides.

Lists of autocombos can be found all over the web. Gamefaqs and Gamespot probably have a lot of move lists/FAQs that would contain those. These are essential, especially the launchers.

You probably want to first work on not doing uppercuts to finish combos. HP+JK=uppercut, so anything more then that would be a better replacement. Things like HP, RH or HP, HP, JK are both simple alternates that work in almost every situation. You can mix it up depending on the situation like doing HP,HP, RH or HP,HP, HP, JK or RH, kick (corner).

I know this but some of the technical language i do not understand please any advice would be good. I have been viewing this site for a while now so i have tried this.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.darktemplarz.com/tempmatt/umk3kombotrans.txt

Legend:

F = Forward
B = Back
D = Down
U = Up
HP = High Punch
HK = High Kick
LP = Low Punch
LK = Low Kick
BL = Block
R = Run
JK = Jump Kick
JP = Jump Punch
HKS = High Kick Starter
HPS = High Punch Starter
SHK = Standing HK
SLK = Standing LK
RH = Roundhouse
aa = Anti Air
TKS = Telekentic Slam
Inf = Infinite
otg = Off the Ground

dreemernj

Ambassador
Two good practice combos:

Human Smoke:
low kick, low punch, jump kick, teleport punch, spear, lk, down+low punch, down+high punch, jump kick, air throw.

It looks like a lot of hits but first try for the popup, jump kick, teleport punch. Then just keep adding on after that.

Another simple training one could be with Sindel:
lk, hp, hp, d+hp, jump kick, air fireball.

They are pretty standard combos but because they mix autocombos, jump kicks, and specials, its good to get used to them and then try stuff out with other characters.

Just make sure you get used to playing with just the regular kicks, punches, roundhouse, uppercut, and stuff like that. Make sure not to go for combos so much that you throw away the match.

finally found a working mkt greatest hits copy and i've got a few questions.

1. what settings will not make the game freeze on ps2?
2. whats the best way to practice since there is no training mode?
3. whats the best button config for an arcade stick?

basically im just trying to learn this game for fun so im interested in big damage combos/infinites. Just by messing around with Rain for a few minutes i noticed that after the first or second rep of his inf he flies too far and flies over me. does the first rh have to be an aaRH for it to work?

Fasty McNasty said:
1. what settings will not make the game freeze on ps2?
It will still always freeze at a gameover or when you win a tournament regardless of your settings on a PS2. Don't turn off the buy in screen, as then you will have to reset after every match.

Fasty McNasty said:
2. whats the best way to practice since there is no training mode?
I prefer 2v2 with unlimited time and health recovery. Some people like to use 'low damage' too but it takes forever to finish the round after the specials become disabled.

Fasty McNasty said:
Just by messing around with Rain for a few minutes i noticed that after the first or second rep of his inf he flies too far and flies over me. does the first rh have to be an aaRH for it to work?
You can start the infinite with a grounded RH. It does not need to be aa.

(When the RH is anti-air (every time but possibly the initial RH) it keeps the opponent at a certain height, so when you do the HP you have a certain amount of time before you do another RH or it will miss. When you start one off the ground, there is less air, and less hangtime when they come back around so after you HP them, you will have less time to walk forward and do another RH. If you have less time that means you will have to RH it sooner. When you do it sooner is they will fly further. To resolve this, just cancel your first HP so you can start walking sooner, therefore walk further. Then you can easily start rain's RH infinite with a grounded enemy.)