What's new

MK9 Most Current Tier List Thread: Updated 9/1/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Subby said:
Hopefully after the patch we can find a suitable place for Freddy...
If NRS removes the projectile immunity glitch and reduces his combo damage, he'll be a top tier character.

If NRS removes the projectile immunity glich, reduces his combo damage, and makes glove toss like Kano's knife toss, he'll be a mid tier character at best.

If NRS removes the projectile immunity glitch and reduces his combo damage, he'll be a top tier character.

If NRS removes the projectile immunity glich, reduces his combo damage, and makes glove toss like Kano's knife toss, he'll be a mid tier character at best.
Am I reading this right?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Freddy even with a slower projectile will have a 50/50 off of a jip.... that alone makes him upper tier. If scorpion, and all of his 50/50 shenanigans, is A tier... I suspect that freddy will... at the worst... be A tier. I think the combo damage will "hopefully" only scale on an exHellglove. It will stay true to how the mechanics of the game work with all of the other cast.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I don't understand what the point of this is. These placings change all the time. For example, you previously thought Sub-Zero was a top 3 character Tom, and in a very short space of time, you've left him out of the very highest tier all together. This is what I don't understand: if the characters are all so close that the placings can change from day to day, why not just change the tier list into something a little like Sao was suggesting? Surely that would save a lot of hassle.

It's all very arbitrary as it stands.

Freddy is retarded at the moment. There's no point even discussing where he is or will be since we don't know what the extent of the changes will be. Or do we know and I've just missed it? If so, I would like to know.

Was a new thread really necessary? There were some good discussions going on in the other thread.

Anyway, some were saying that Quan Chi deserves to be in the same tier as Scorpion. I'd like to hear your opinion on why you think Quan Chi is worse than Scorp.

Others said that Sonya is the best of all female characters (something I agree with).

Others were saying Nightwolf was gonna end up mid tier and that Smoke was A+ (I noticed Smoke moved way up on your tier list).

Dark_Rob

Noob
I don't understand what the point of this is. These placings change all the time. For example, you previously thought Sub-Zero was a top 3 character Tom, and in a very short space of time, you've left him out of the very highest tier all together.
Tom Brady has told me on several occasion's that the only reason he said Sub-Zero was a top 3 character to quiet all the people in the Sub forums who were just asking for the most ludicrous buffs ever. People want Sub to be Superman, have armor on everything,ice showers, ice nuggets, safe slides, chip damage on ice balls and god knows what else. He feels like he has to defend the character because people want to ruin him by making him broken. Tom does feel he has one of the top 3 best offense's in the game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sub_Crash4 said:
Freddy even with a slower projectile will have a 50/50 off of a jip.... that alone makes him upper tier. If scorpion, and all of his 50/50 shenanigans, is A tier... I suspect that freddy will... at the worst... be A tier. I think the combo damage will "hopefully" only scale on an exHellglove. It will stay true to how the mechanics of the game work with all of the other cast.
Freddy's defense is very bad. He needs super meter to escape (and rightfully so) high pressure situations and traps. At the moment, his zoning and damaging combos make up for the fact that he has poor defense. The glove toss is fine in my opinion. The projectile immunity glitch and the 50%+ combos are not. I do not understand why Kabal has no start up frames on his projectiles and why he gets to keep iaGBs while Kano's knife toss has been toned down and while Skarlet's dagger cancels and Freddy's glove toss will supposedly be toned down. Anyway, I hope NRS does not make Freddy average. We already have a bunch of below average zoning characters (i.e., Stryker, Sindel, Noob, etc.) characters in the game. We need no another one.

Ether

Noob
Hey Tom, could you explain CSZ's placement? I remember you putting him as S-tier before.
Here's the issue with Cyber; his pokes lack in the speed and range department. He gets big, meterless damage off of 2. Unfortunately, 2 is a frame 15 high with meh range. Mixups off of 3 are hard to see. Unfortunately 3 isnt exactly the fastest move and has piss range, and if you go low, the damage is pretty weak.

Characters that can't reliably punish or zone the dive kick have a hard time with CSZ. Characters with IAF or fast specials that can punish the dive kick on block keep him out of the air, and without the dive kick he has no other solid mid-range tools. I believe he's tied for second fastest dash with Sektor. He can dash block to get in. Problem is, even with his speed, this is still a generic strat, and at best, you're dash blocking in to throw out slow normals with bad-mediocre range.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Tom Brady has told me on several occasion's that the only reason he said Sub-Zero was a top 3 character to quiet all the people in the Sub forums who were just asking for the most ludicrous buffs ever. People want Sub to be Superman, have armor on everything,ice showers, ice nuggets, safe slides, chip damage on ice balls and god knows what else. He feels like he has to defend the character because people want to ruin him by making him broken. Tom does feel he has one of the top 3 best offense's in the game.
Well, that explains that one, because I was surprised to see Tom saying Sub is top 3. I don't agree with Sub having a top 3 offense either, but that's another discussion, I guess.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
I just want to point out that months ago I said Stryker was terrible and Tom told me that he was the best zoner in the game and could be tournament competitive. Here we are and all the top tiers have been made weaker than they were then and the same Stryker is still the worst character in the game.

Subby

Frost Warrior
I just want to point out that months ago I said Stryker was terrible and Tom told me that he was the best zoner in the game and could be tournament competitive. Here we are and all the top tiers have been made weaker than they were then and the same Stryker is still the worst character in the game.
Well just to say "Months ago" is pretty close to when the game first came out. We all had different views on characters back then, compared to now.

I pretty much fully agree with the list except for a couple things. I would put Shang in B tier and put Sonya in A tier. Sonya has good damage, mixups, decent zoning, and 2 anti air moves(arc kick, air throw). Shang Tsung is arguably one of the best zoners in the game but when someone's in his face he struggles a lot, which is what I think drops him a tier. Also I would put Nightwolf in S and Raiden in A. Can someone explain to me the godlikeness of Raiden? I know he's good, but it seems like the only things he has going for him is his teleport(which is baitable and punishable), his electric fly(also very punishable and baitable) and his strings are pretty good. Can someone tell me exactly what brings him to S tier?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I pretty much fully agree with the list except for a couple things. I would put Shang in B tier and put Sonya in A tier. Sonya has good damage, mixups, decent zoning, and 2 anti air moves(arc kick, air throw). Shang Tsung is arguably one of the best zoners in the game but when someone's in his face he struggles a lot, which is what I think drops him a tier. Also I would put Nightwolf in S and Raiden in A. Can someone explain to me the godlikeness of Raiden? I know he's good, but it seems like the only things he has going for him is his teleport(which is baitable and punishable), his electric fly(also very punishable and baitable) and his strings are pretty good. Can someone tell me exactly what brings him to S tier?
You're too used to playing him online. I have seen a "good" tourney player use him... and when played defensively he is super tough. He can teleport the moment you jump and punish you for it. You just CAN'T pressure him at all times. Plus... he gets you in the corner VERY quickly. Most matches against him end up there at some point.

Sal... Sub has the best offense because he can adapt MID match. He is "almost" the ultimate counter pick. He can lame out... as well as be hyper aggressive. Just watch Tom play Kenshi. When he started winning matches... it was because of the all out offense. Sub is the ONLY character that can rush down zoners as well as keep out rushdowns.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Freddy's defense is very bad. He needs super meter to escape (and rightfully so) high pressure situations and traps. At the moment, his zoning and damaging combos make up for the fact that he has poor defense. The glove toss is fine in my opinion. The projectile immunity glitch and the 50%+ combos are not. I do not understand why Kabal has no start up frames on his projectiles and why he gets to keep iaGBs while Kano's knife toss has been toned down and while Skarlet's dagger cancels and Freddy's glove toss will supposedly be toned down. Anyway, I hope NRS does not make Freddy average. We already have a bunch of below average zoning characters (i.e., Stryker, Sindel, Noob, etc.) characters in the game. We need no another one.
everyone's defense is "bad". Most every character has a hard time escaping high pressure frame traps and such. Only Raiden can get out with ease. Thats a cop out really.

Oh ok I see, I guess I am used go Raiden scrubs online haha, but I'm still a little unsure about Raidens placement. I'm sure he's good, and has the tools to win, but I have yet to see a Raiden player win a major. U don't think I've even seen a Raiden player in a top 8 so far.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sal... Sub has the best offense because he can adapt MID match. He is "almost" the ultimate counter pick. He can lame out... as well as be hyper aggressive. Just watch Tom play Kenshi. When he started winning matches... it was because of the all out offense. Sub is the ONLY character that can rush down zoners as well as keep out rushdowns.
Sub-Zero's all round game is very good, in my opinion. Used correctly, I think he's better than Tom has him placed here but he doesn't have top 3 offense, in my opinion. He has the best space control in the game which is what allows him to be offensive against a lot of characters. All his corner traps come from the mental shackle his clone puts on someone and in all his favourable matchups, he controls the pace of the match with the clone because even when he's not using it as much, his opponent is reluctant to attack him sometimes, which gives Sub-Zero the initiative. His offense in and of itself is not Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kung Lao or even Liu Kang status.

If he was top 3 offensively, he would be a pure rushdown character which he's not.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Wait a minute... JG is S tier? The hell? He is VERY good but he's not THAT good. He's completely dependent on getting IN. How does that work? I know too many characters that manhandle him like a child.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Sub_Crash4 said:
everyone's defense is "bad". Most every character has a hard time escaping high pressure frame traps and such. Only Raiden can get out with ease. Thats a cop out really.
Most top tier characters have solid defensive options.

Kung Lao: spin
Kabal: nomad dash, EX nomad dash, projectiles that have no start up frames
Reptile: elbow dash, EX elbow dash
Raiden: teleport, EX superman
Cyrax: d,f+1, EX d,f+3
Johnny Cage: flip kick, shadow kick, EX shadow kick

I do not mind if Freddy has poor defensive options as long as his zoning game makes up for it.

Enenra said:
Wait a minute... JG is S tier? The hell? He is VERY good but he's not THAT good. He's completely dependent on getting IN. How does that work? I know too many characters that manhandle him like a child.
At least his character design functions correctly (unlike the design of many others). If Johnny Cage manages to get close, he is the most powerful character in the game. His pokes are second to none. JOP showed what Cage can really do at Evo. Cage goes 5:5 versus Kung Lao, Raiden, and Cyrax but probably loses 4:6 to Kabal and Reptile. I am not sure how the Kitana match up goes. The point is that those are some very solid numbers. Really, if Cage can force a mistake and get in, he can beat any character.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Sub-Zero's all round game is very good, in my opinion. Used correctly, I think he's better than Tom has him placed here but he doesn't have top 3 offense, in my opinion. He has the best space control in the game which is what allows him to be offensive against a lot of characters. All his corner traps come from the mental shackle his clone puts on someone and in all his favourable matchups, he controls the pace of the match with the clone because even when he's not using it as much, his opponent is reluctant to attack him sometimes, which gives Sub-Zero the initiative. His offense in and of itself is not Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kung Lao or even Liu Kang status.

If he was top 3 offensively, he would be a pure rushdown character which he's not.
he is just as effective as those stated. JC can be poked out of his pressure. Sub can apply the same TYPE of pressure after a knockdown... and thats all that really matters. Subs projectile is a combo waiting to happen... not 8,9,12%... a COMBO. two other characters can do this. the clone is not a defensive tool as much as it is a pressure tool. You are short changing the character because he doesn't have frame traps. he has COMBO traps. lol. i should trademark that.

Sub is the ONLY character that can rush down zoners as well as keep out rushdowns.
Um... were Kung Lao and Kabal both removed from the game without my knowing?

How many characters truly shut him down though? He only really needs to get in once before the gauntlet of guessing begins.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Most top tier characters have solid defensive options.

Kung Lao: spin
Kabal: nomad dash, EX nomad dash, projectiles that have no start up frames
Reptile: elbow dash, EX elbow dash
Raiden: teleport, EX superman
Cyrax: d,f+1, EX d,f+3
Johnny Cage: flip kick, shadow kick, EX shadow kick
LOL you listed EVERY SINGLE ONE of the "S" tier characters... its why they are there!!! so yeah. I'm going to be a dick and say GREAT straw man.
I never said he'd be there. I said he would be the same level as Scorpion... because he basically plays that way. Constant pressure and 50/50's.

Status
Not open for further replies.