What's new

MK9 Character types

Death

Noob
I've browsed around and never seen a thread like this one im going to make. I would like some input or some changes anyone might have to this list. I noticed in MK theres 3 different play styles. You got Anti-Zoning characters, Zoning characters and rushdown characters.

I know most characters are good at a bit of everything but i think every character is stronger at 1 thing and not just mediocore at all 3. Anyways heres the list i made. Some are wrong and would like input from people.

Anti-Zoning characters- Jade, NW, Smoke, Mileena, Raiden, Sheeva
Zoning characters- Sub, Kitana, Ermac, Cyrax, Noob, Sektor, Stryker, Kano, Shang, Kabal, Sindel, Reptile, Kenshi, Freddy, Skarlet
Rushdown characters- Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Cage, Jax, Sonya, Cyber Sub, Quan Chi, Rain, Baraka

The thing about this game, is that to a certain extent everyone is a zoner. Certain zoners beat other zoners depending on tools, not projectile alone. Example, Sheeva can out zone Cage to a certain extent, Jade can out zone others to a certain extent, Raiden can out zone the majority of the time solely because of threat of teleport, etc. Not going to go into match up detail.

Death

Noob
The thing about this game, is that to a certain extent everyone is a zoner. Certain zoners beat other zoners depending on tools, not projectile alone. Example, Sheeva can out zone Cage to a certain extent, Jade can out zone others to a certain extent, Raiden can out zone the majority of the time solely because of threat of teleport, etc. Not going to go into match up detail.
I understand all that takes effect in gameplay. I just meant a character in their tools and what they have and what their strongest at.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Baraka is rushdown definitely. sure he is hard to zone, but he is always going to try and get you in the corner, and use his frame traps.

Scorpion I wouldnt say is a rushdown character, more like anti-zoning, or both.

Cyber sub is more about bomb setups and punishing, so he should probably go in anti-zoning.

Death

Noob
Baraka is rushdown definitely. sure he is hard to zone, but he is always going to try and get you in the corner, and use his frame traps.

Scorpion I wouldnt say is a rushdown character, more like anti-zoning, or both.

Cyber sub is more about bomb setups and punishing, so he should probably go in anti-zoning.
I agree. I think every character is a little bit of everything. Just 1 of the 3 types is the strongest. Ill change baraka to rushdown.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Some characters like Quan Chi and Scorpion I think are more dependent on their mixups out of certain situations.

Scorpions vortex into his 50/50 game
Quans rune trap into his 50/50 game

Also with Skarlet I wouldn't put her down to primarily zoning, her Ex dagger up close has better properties than Cages Ex Forceball because she has more frame advantage and her strings do more chip damage. On top of that shes got mixups/frametraps coming out her of 112xxSlide.

But the games too unexplored for these lists to all be final anyhow. We just got alot of lookin to do.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I honestly believe skarlet has the best potential of any character i have played so far.

She is one of the most un-explored characters and there is so much the community does not know about her, yet she is already labelled with a tier position. These things should take more time.

Past

Noob
Jade has no type. As a matter of fact none of these characters have "types". They all can anti zone with 'insert full screen armor move', zone with 'insert projectile' and rushdown with 'insert safe string off of jip'.