What's new

MK9 - Button Configuration(X-Ray Execution)

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Something I noticed about X-Ray moves is that it is way too easy to use.

There needs to be a sense of balance as far as X-Ray moves are concerned, and either each character has a different way to execute the X-Ray, or they make it overall more complicated to execute than just two buttons, like Rage on MKvsDC.

In my opinion, making it a bit harder wont hurt the game, but make it even better as far as depth and high level play goes.

I'm not certain what the exact buttons are, but from what I've heard, its R2 and R1. This completely dumbs down a potential gret tool in high level play, and a very important move that will be used and abused.

My theory on what could possibly work is possibly a take on SSFIV's Super meter. Basically instead of just pressing 2 buttons, have the motion be sort of like; R+1+2+3, L+1+2+3.

It would basically be like an Ultra in SSFIV, but instead of the QCF and QCB motion, its just holding the right directional button and 3 buttons at the same time, and instantly switching and holding the left directional button along with the same 3 buttons again, activating a characters X-Ray.

2 Buttons is just way too weak, and it will be a complete let down in high level play. Something like an X-Ray deserves better execution. I seriously hope the MK-Team reads this, because I seriously want to play MK9 at the biggest tournament in the U.S! EVOLUTION BABY!

Please comment, and leave your thoughts. If you have any other ideas on how X-Ray should be done, don't be afraid to post.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I agree... obviously, if it's taking significant damage t should be that much harder to do.

I don't like that it's L1+R1, etc... that is way too easy... then again, I haven't touched the game. It would be awesome if we had a posted that was there and could tell us about it. :)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I agree, it's dumb. There's no reason you should have access to a move that can work as say anti-projectile and does 35% of your life in one shot...by pressing 2 buttons.

techn9ne

Footsies
yeah i agree bone its to accessable at the moment, it doesn't need to be like close combat was in mkdc take 30% of your life off of a guessing game.

I also don't like the fact that if you miss it, your meter still fill back up and you keep trying to land it. It should be use it or loose it

Maybe going for the SF style of DFDF mixed with R1+R2??? what do you guys think?

THTB

From the looks of it, it's actually kinda hard to build and even save meter in the current builds. So maybe it won't be as big a deal. I still don't like it, though.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
yeah i agree bone its to accessable at the moment, it doesn't need to be like close combat was in mkdc take 30% of your life off of a guessing game.

I also don't like the fact that if you miss it, your meter still fill back up and you keep trying to land it. It should be use it or loose it

Maybe going for the SF style of DFDF mixed with R1+R2??? what do you guys think?
yep i was gonna say that, if u attempted to use it and u miss.. you better damn well lose all of your bars O_O
im not too upset that if it does stay being 2 buttons, how ever i do think they should follow how street fighter does it cause clearly its the MK teams version of SF4 ultras..

THTB

X-Rays are in no way like a version of Ultras in SFIV. Ultras are used by a meter completely separate from everything else that uses meter and are powered only by your health meter, not your offensive actions. X-Rays are more along the lines of a super, where the same meter that X-Rays are powered by are also used by other meter-based options and the meter fills on block, hit, or use of a special.

And yes, you do lose all your meter for using an X-Ray. It just doesn't seem that way during the dev team demos, since it always refills. That's just them hitting a certain button.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
X-Rays are in no way like a version of Ultras in SFIV. Ultras are used by a meter completely separate from everything else that uses meter and are powered only by your health meter, not your offensive actions. X-Rays are more along the lines of a super, where the same meter that X-Rays are powered by are also used by other meter-based options and the meter fills on block, hit, or use of a special.

And yes, you do lose all your meter for using an X-Ray. It just doesn't seem that way during the dev team demos, since it always refills. That's just them hitting a certain button.
i know the difference between the ultra and super.. theres no need to get super technical on me LOL the mk team is using the ULTRA/super idea as a super powerful combo ender/attack. however supers dont look as "kool" as the ultras. there fore im going to compare the Xray to SSF4 ultra with out get technical..

id like to see the video that shows a person attempting a Xray, missing and having their meter go down to zero.. those quick recharges of the meters were just doing one bar at a time form what i noticed not a full 3 bars.

THTB

I'm too tired to find it atm...lol, not many vids where it was just random people playing and using X-Rays.

I'll do it tomorrow sometime.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I'm too tired to find it atm...lol, not many vids where it was just random people playing and using X-Rays.

I'll do it tomorrow sometime.
LOL thanks. to be honest i really only looked at Kitana vids and just fast foward the others..

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Wait...I've heard it is two buttons at once(at one point I heard it was all 4 buttons shoulder and bumpers) but this was no doubt a rumor. The way it's done for everyone is just hitting R1 and R2 at the same time? Or is it holding those two while actually doing a normal move's commands? Because that's what I heard, it was done by holding two shoulder buttons and you have to input a normal move command or something? I don't know...

If the ladder theory is correct which I'm not sure, just something I heard from some people who played demos then it won't be that easy depending on character...but if they're all done just pressing R1 and R2 I definitely think that's far too easy IMO and scrubs will try to just set you up on that for easy 32%-40% without actually being that great of a player...

Riu

Noob
i think they make the xray two bottons just for the demo. i guess they did not want player to have to go to the move list just to learn how to do a xray move. remember they want to show the xray move to people in other words they make it easier to use xray in the demo so that we 'll see a lot of them been use.

i personally think that xray will not be use as much on hight lavel play the (?version) of special moves looks really good and more useful than the xray attack in my opinion.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
i think they make the xray two bottons just for the demo. i guess they did not want player to have to go to the move list just to learn how to do a xray move. remember they want to show the xray move to people in other words they make it easier to use xray in the demo so that we 'll see a lot of them been use.

i personally think that xray will not be use as much on hight lavel play the (?version) of special moves looks really good and more useful than the xray attack in my opinion.
What do you mean? X-Ray takes a good amount of damage, and if you notice, Cyrax has an AA that can be linked into an X-Ray.

Can you elaborate a bit? I don't think I understand what you mean.

AC1984

Kaballin!
"Maybe going for the SF style of DFDF mixed with R1+R2??? what do you guys think?"

FDFD is a SF trademark,not MK...FDF or FFD or BBD or BDF is a better option.....Why go SF style when there is MK style? I would say that any familiar combination from MK should fit well for an X-ray move.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
"Maybe going for the SF style of DFDF mixed with R1+R2??? what do you guys think?"

FDFD is a SF trademark,not MK...FDF or FFD or BBD or BDF is a better option.....Why go SF style when there is MK style? I would say that any familiar combination from MK should fit well for an X-ray move.
I agree 100%

techn9ne

Footsies

Yeah, i was just throwing something out there... I didn't think about fdf, maybe even bbf

What do you mean? X-Ray takes a good amount of damage, and if you notice, Cyrax has an AA that can be linked into an X-Ray.

Can you elaborate a bit? I don't think I understand what you mean.
the xray final input is not R1+R2 this was the input only for the demo so that people do not have to be going to the moves list for every character.

THTB

I think the dev team does realize how an easy input could seriously make these moves too powerful. Riu may be right and it's just the input for the demo builds.

I'm hoping that's the case. If anything, I think that's what would make these moves too good rather than anything else.

i think every character will use R1+R2 for their xray but they will add some thing more to it like df r1+r2 or ddd r1+r2 or fdb r1+r2 some thing like that... i do not think every character will share the same combination of bottons to do their xray attack they will not go that way.

r1+r2 in the demo was like an auto xray like the one botton fatality and we all know there will be not one botton fatality in the final build.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think Riu does bring up a good point, the team even admitted that for the demos at E3 and Pax that the meter was easily filled for stage demos but explained when the game comes out you'll have to build it up thru out the match. Probably the same for the X-ray attacks just to show them off easier.

Those have gotta be just demo builds, there's no way they'd make the strongest moves in the game that easy to pull off after repeatedly talking about how that want to make MK9 appeal to the "hardcore" audience.

Dark_Rob

Noob
the xray final input is not R1+R2 this was the input only for the demo so that people do not have to be going to the moves list for every character.
Really? You guys really think they wouldnt make a gamechanging move easy to pull off? Then refresh my memory, What was the command to activate Rage in MKDC?