What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Shang Tsung VS Sub Zero

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
No rest for the iced-one in this match...

Shang has the ability to throw fireball spam of course, but doing it relentlessly will result in getting frozen and comboed. Single fireballs work best here as they leave enough time for Shang to recover and block the potential ice counter. Getting in close of course is where Shang can do some bigtime damage. Jumping in against Sub is usually a bad bet, but with Shang's high priority JK you may want to risk it on occasion. Apply kara-jabs and try to push Subby into the corner for the clinch. If you want to be a chump about it, morph into Jax and have your way with him.

Sub, as usual, needs to stay on offense here; especially if Shang morphs into Jax. Counter all skull spamming with a freeze and combo. If Shang is walking toward you for some reason, apply a ground freeze then uppercut. Always counter jump-ins with an aaRH.

Sub is at a real disadvantage here for many reasons. He can win some matches if Shang is dumb about skull spamming, but more often than not Shang will win by about 7-3, maybe even 8-2.
  • What can Subby do from up close to make this more fair?
  • How often should Shang spam fireballs?
  • Should Shang jump in?

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
good analysis, I enjoy this match a ton as both Sub and Shang as they are my favorites. If Sub's mind games are on point he is going to dominate this match. But if Shang's kara-jabs are on point it can be so frustrating to poor Sub.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
good analysis, I enjoy this match a ton as both Sub and Shang as they are my favorites. If Sub's mind games are on point he is going to dominate this match. But if Shang's kara-jabs are on point it can be so frustrating to poor Sub.
No disrespect intended since these are your favorite fighters, but even if Sub's mind games are in full effect, a great Shang is never going to be dominated by Sub. The fact is that Shang can at anytime morph into Jax (or Mileena) and just obliterate Sub.
Plus no one eats ninjas for breakfast quite like Shang does with his sick CQC. I get more kara jab infinites vs the ninjas with Shang than vs Raiden.

Reactions: MKB
No disrespect intended since these are your favorite fighters, but even if Sub's mind games are in full effect, a great Shang is never going to be dominated by Sub. The fact is that Shang can at anytime morph into Jax (or Mileena) and just obliterate Sub.
Plus no one eats ninjas for breakfast quite like Shang does with his sick CQC. I get more kara jab infinites vs the ninjas with Shang than vs Raiden.
Icey Balls is confident. I have to give him that.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
Nah, I'm not confident anymore, I'm getting wrecked left and right in the lobby, shit, even Zippy beat my Shang with Kitana the other day. Just can't get any better

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Nah, I'm not confident anymore, I'm getting wrecked left and right in the lobby, shit, even Zippy beat my Shang with Kitana the other day. Just can't get any better
I assure you that has something to do with you mainly only using 2 characters. Once you begin to use every fighter regularly, you understand each match up in the game better. Maybe you only use your best vs me, that's understandable. I'm just saying my level didn't go up until people started whining about me always using Kitana/Mileena.

Obviously when ranking is at stake in MKAK you're going to use your most comfortable characters. I'd recommend playing more "Friendly" matches on MKAK so you can use your lesser fighters without consequence.