What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Scorpion VS Kung Lao

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is easily one of my favorite matchups in all of MK2. Two complimentary playstyles do very well against each other.

Kung Lao has opportunities to do some big damage against Scorpion. Blocking a teleport can lead to a whirlwind spin combo or something simpler such as aaHP, hat toss...or a double bullet kick. Scorpion's threat of an aaRH usually goes out the door in this match because he is always afraid of getting bullet kicked. Use that to your advantage and slam a few out every now and then. Don't get predictable with it, though, or you will get speared and uppercutted. That, or Scorpion will start meeting you in the air for an air throw. Against turtlers, use a well timed teleport to get inside and start up the CQC jabbing and headbutt game. I like to use a few (kara) jabs followed by a RH or whirlwind spin when out of range. Also, if Lao manages to block a spear from close range, QUICKLY punish with a bullet kick. Lastly... if you don't feel like trying and just want the cheese it, enact the Liu Kang low toe strategy. It works the exact same way, and will piss off Scorpion players just as much.

Scorpion's use of the spear is very potent in this match. Use it to counter all failed bullet kicks and buffer it to stop teleports when possible. As discussed earlier, when Lao goes into the air, countering with aaRH isn't always feasible because of the speed of the bullet kick that may followup. Either duck down and wait for it to pass or stand-block and counter with aaHP, spear, uppercut. If Lao starts to turtle and spam hats, just telepunch.

Scorpion has the ability to take away a lot of Lao's offense with his spear. However, a turtly Lao can pose an equal problem for Scorpion. For those reasons, I feel this is a 5-5 match.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
When Kung Lao corners Scorpion, he can do the spin at a certain range where Scorpion cannot do ANYTHING. If he tries a spear or sweep, he gets hit and then Lao moves forward and does the spin again and keeps it going. I have not been able to find a way out. Perhaps the Scorpion player can try to walk forward and block the spin, but that may not even work and is extremely difficult unlike in UMK3 where you can run and block things like this easily.

Pretty much, if Kung Lao has the life lead and corners Scorpion with the spin, the round is over.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
When Kung Lao corners Scorpion, he can do the spin at a certain range where Scorpion cannot do ANYTHING. If he tries a spear or sweep, he gets hit and then Lao moves forward and does the spin again and keeps it going. I have not been able to find a way out. Perhaps the Scorpion player can try to walk forward and block the spin, but that may not even work and is extremely difficult unlike in UMK3 where you can run and block things like this easily.

Pretty much, if Kung Lao has the life lead and corners Scorpion with the spin, the round is over.
I believe it is possible to inch forward and block the spin, but as you pointed out it is extremely difficult to do.

Naw, you can definitely walk forward and block it. I believe you can even counter high kick Lao after blocking it too, because the corner negates the pushback, so essentially it's one of the worst options for Lao to use against a cornered Scorpion.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Naw, you can definitely walk forward and block it. I believe you can even counter high kick Lao after blocking it too, because the corner negates the pushback, so essentially it's one of the worst options for Lao to use against a cornered Scorpion.
Not if he is positioned right, the pushback will force Scorpion to the corner. You have to do the spin at the range where he can't sweep or spear or he gets hit.

Not if he is positioned right, the pushback will force Scorpion to the corner. You have to do the spin at the range where he can't sweep or spear or he gets hit.
Yea you're probably right. If you are at the exact right range then Lao can't be countered after the pushback, but I still don't think the pushback will be as far as it is midscreen. It's not difficult to block the spin tho. You said you can block Lao's spin in UMK3 easily, but I can't because the timing is different. You might have the same problem in MK2 that I have in UMK3.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yea you're probably right. If you are at the exact right range then Lao can't be countered after the pushback, but I still don't think the pushback will be as far as it is midscreen. It's not difficult to block the spin tho. You said you can block Lao's spin in UMK3 easily, but I can't because the timing is different. You might have the same problem in MK2 that I have in UMK3.
Why I said it is more difficult in MK2 is because in UMK3 you can run up and hit block to block things like Kitana's Lift, Sindel's Scream, and Lao's Spin because your hitbox while running is behind them and when you hit block that hitbox instantly moves forward and blocks these moves easily. In MK2, you have to try to time pressing block while you inch forward.

Why I said it is more difficult in MK2 is because in UMK3 you can run up and hit block to block things like Kitana's Lift, Sindel's Scream, and Lao's Spin because your hitbox while running is behind them and when you hit block that hitbox instantly moves forward and blocks these moves easily. In MK2, you have to try to time pressing block while you inch forward.
That's interesting about the hitbox being behind you when you run in UMK3. I didn't know that. I'll mess around with this situation in MK2 tonight and get back to you.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I think Lao has the advantage in this match. Just like vs Kang, if Lao low toes, Scorpion can't do anything.
I'd say at the highest level, Lao wins 7-3.

You were right. At a far enough range, I couldn't punish Lao's spin after I blocked it in the corner. Now if the Lao player walks up and cancels his jab pressure into the spin, then I will be able to punish it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You were right. At a far enough range, I couldn't punish Lao's spin after I blocked it in the corner. Now if the Lao player walks up and cancels his jab pressure into the spin, then I will be able to punish it.
Thanks for testing!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
This is one of the great match-ups in MK2.
I just wanted to add a few things.

First off, I do still believe it's a 7-3 match for Lao. Possibly 6-4.
But definitely the low toes, and the corner Whirlwind Spin trap give Lao the advantage.

Online however it's not as bad for Scorpion.
A main reason being that Lao cannot block Scorp's Telepunch and punish with a Spin online (in most connections).
By the time you block the Telepunch, and start the Spin, Scorpion will be on the ground, able to block.
And then you'll eat a Spear/Uppercut LOL.

But I have to point this out-
Scorpion poses the biggest threat to Lao's Spin (when not trapped in a corner).
If Lao spins against other characters and doesn't connect, what's the worst they can do to punish?
Throw a low damage projectile (aka Liu's Fireball, Mileena's Sai, Baraka's Blade Spark, etc).
Sub-Zero and Scorpion actually have the best punishes for Lao's Spin.
I'm not counting Kitana's Fan Raise or Reptile's Forceball because Lao can stop the Spin safely before they can punish with big damage- unless you play majorly stupid.

Also Scorpion has one of the best counters to Lao's Teleport with his Air Throw.
It is a very fun battle in MK2, and more balanced than Lao vs Rep/Sub.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Updated the original post and strats. I now believe this to be a 5-5 matchup.

Last edited:

ded

Elder God
Great stuff. Regarding that Lao trap, you can either just getting the hit or karajab into LK or even spear if you are fast enough btw

Reactions: MKB