What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Mileena VS Reptile

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Mileena/Reptile : Liu Kang/Scorpion : David/Golina

Mileena has one primary way to piss Reptile off - sai spam. It completely disrupts Reptile's entire game. When done consistently, it prevents Reptile from going invisible or throwing forceballs. Acid isn't really an issue either since the sai does more damage. Heck, ground sai tosses will even break up slide attempts! Desperate Reptile players will be trying a lot of jump-ins to get past all the spam. Anticipate and counter with an uppercut or aaHP, roll. If you want to be a bastard, go to a corner, wait for a jump, then startup your 100% corner combo.

Reptile is fucked in this match, sorry to say. Projectiles are pretty much out of the question unless countering a jump-in, but then again a ninja would be countering with aaRH... The ballbreaker here is that slides will not safely pass under ground sais for some reason. Slides are only viable for air sai spam, but are punishable big-time if blocked. Reptile will be doing major ducking, waiting for an opportunity and trying to counter a roll on reaction (good luck.) The only thing Reptile can do is pray to go invisible and then wait for a mistake. Counter rolls with 2xHP, JK, which will do about 5% more damage than a standard uppercut.

Even the best Reptile's are going to be up a creek against Mileena. 9-1, pinkie.

The main thing I hate about this matchup is the fact that Reptile can't slide underneath Mileena's standing sai. This renders his slide almost useless. I don't understand why they didn't allow the slide to go under all projectiles. Isn't that the whole point of it? Maybe they just overlooked it in certain matchups.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Don't forget that everytime Mileena rolls Reptile, she can combo it with a JK or JP/air sai. I would say this is the most unbalanced match in MK2, as everyone probably knows. I do think it is a lot of fun however, because it is so challenging. And it IS winnable with Reptile...

REPTILE
His invisiblity is definitely the key. Pretty much any Mileena short of the best ones, will see him go invisible, panic, and either roll or drop kick. Expect that immediately after you turn invisible, block her attack, and punish. Also, you absolutely need instant acid spit with analog, so that when she spams, you can time your acid without trading hits with her sai. Slide is awesome when Mileena tries to charge in on you. Mileena isn't threatened in this match, so she probably won't block a lot. Roundhouse to keep her away (though very tricky when she mixes it up with air sai), and to remain invisible.

MILEENA
Mileena can do just about anything she wants here and win. Sai are her best bet, but won't earn you any respect points if you just spam them to win. I prefer to jab so that Reptile can't really do anything. Also, I love throwing ground sai, and baiting a JK from Reptile. on MKAK especially I can often do an aaHP/roll/JP/air sai combo off of his jumping at me.

For me personally, there are harder matches in MK2 to win than beating Mileena with Reptile (beating Jax with Reptile, i.e.).
All in all, a 9-1 matchup in Mileena's favor.

Instant acid spit? What the heck, does every character have instant moves and I'm the only one not using them?

Also, I've lost to Reptile a lot with Milenna when I refrain from using my sais. Billy Bats and a few others like using Reptile's slide at the last second to interrupt a jump kick and it's infuriating. I think Reptile's slide is more important than his invisibility in this match.

S0...
1) Slide
2) Reptile should slide until his shoes fall off.
3) Cleverly used sai spam mixed in with timed rolls is the easiest way to win this.

I disagree with Jason that defeating Jax is more difficult with Reptile compared to defeating Milenna with Reptile.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Yes every character has instant moves. The only one that really doesn't benefit from them is Sub-Zero, which definitely makes him bottom tier on PS3. Instant spit is Reptile's best move IMO. It's super easy to learn too.

The problem with the slide is:

1) It doesn't do a lot of damage
2) It is easily punished after a block
3) Often times you end up sliding right into Mileena's wheelhouse and she jabs the shit outta you

So the risk isn't usually worth the reward. I use them sparingly in this match, and they usually connect because of the surprise factor.
I agree with Mike that they really should have made the slide able to go under projectiles, just doing that would have made the game more balanced. I meant for me personally Jax is harder to beat with Reptile than beating Mileena with Reptile. I know that's not the case for everyone. But Reptile can duck under her sais and kind of turtle it. Vs Jax the pressure is always on because of the threat of ground pound. I'll save the rest for a Reptile vs Jax thread. I suppose I'm better vs Mileena also because I am much better with her than with Jax. Did you ever notice that if someone's really good with a certain fighter, they're also really good at beating that fighter with other fighters? Makes sense, since you know that fighter very well, the hit points etc...

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
poor reptile, someday I will mod this game, and give reptile the ability to go invisible from a crouch position, and speed up that force ball.
I would also remove Kangs ability to uppercut, and reverse the controller inputs for Lao so he would be a complete disaster!!!!!!!!!!

This match is fun for each player because:

Mileena- She can really do some crazy combos on Reptile, and it's such an easy match that she has free range to do anything.

Reptile- It's so challenging, that beating Mileena with him is extremely satisfying.

Give me Reptile vs Mileena over Scorpion vs Kang anyday!
Still, an eaaaasy 9-1 for Mileena.
Like you said on the Cage vs Liu matchup, Reptile gets 1 win because Mileena got bored or she decided not to play cheap. I actually think it's safe to call this one a 10-0 matchup.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Like you said on the Cage vs Liu matchup, Reptile gets 1 win because Mileena got bored or she decided not to play cheap. I actually think it's safe to call this one a 10-0 matchup.
Well anything can happen in MK2. Calling it a 9.5-0.5 match is probably about right.
Not to mention online in lag, there are more invariables.

Reactions: MKB
Well anything can happen in MK2. Calling it a 9.5-0.5 match is probably about right.
Not to mention online in lag, there are more invariables.
I didn't think we were considering lag. I don't really think using the reason that "shit happens" is enough to give Reptile credit for winning any against Mileena. Like I said, if he does pull one out it's because the Mileena player just simply fucked up, therefore, that one match isn't a valid representation of the matchup numbers.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I didn't think we were considering lag. I don't really think using the reason that "shit happens" is enough to give Reptile credit for winning any against Mileena. Like I said, if he does pull one out it's because the Mileena player just simply fucked up, therefore, that one match isn't a valid representation of the matchup numbers.
Well I've beaten Niki's Mileena a few times with Reptile, so has Ginger.... you know Niki didn't want to lose that match!!
It's possible to beat her with him, you just can't make ANY mistakes, and need some luck too.

Well I've beaten Niki's Mileena a few times with Reptile, so has Ginger.... you know Niki didn't want to lose that match!!
It's possible to beat her with him, you just can't make ANY mistakes, and need some luck too.
I'm in argument mode. lol. You said it. You need some luck, or in other words, you need the mileena player to take it easy.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I'm in argument mode. lol. You said it. You need some luck, or in other words, you need the mileena player to take it easy.
What's really annoying when you use any low tier vs top tier, is when you play the perfect round and STILL lose.
If you play perfectly with Reptile, and your opponent plays good with Mileena, she'll probably win anyway.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
It is pretty amazing that I hardly ever lose this match with Reptile.
I know it's a bitch, but my tactics really work well for it.

Jax vs Reptile is still the absolute hardest match to win in MK2.
Cage vs Liu is even harder than this IMO.

Phaenon

Noob
Here's some games where I gave Reptile a try agaisnt the high tiers -- with a Fightcade B-Ranker no less. It's difficult, but Reptile can still squeeze out a few wins when players momentarily forget how to deal with the invisible.

First one is agaisnt Jax but he switches to Mileena afterwards