What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Liu Kang VS Scorpion

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Much like Reptile is to Mileena, anyone foolish enough to pick Scorpion against Liu Kang may as well consider throwing in the towel early unless they are purposely looking for a challenge the size of climbing Mount Everest.

Liu Kang simply owns and dominates this match in every phase. Spamming the spear will result in low fireballs. If you try to turtle Kang and telepunch, a block will result in aaHP + bicycle kick for 40%. God forbid Scorpion attempts a telepunch and gets blocked in the corner... And of course, the main reason Kang owns this matchup, his low toe.

Watch the first two minutes of this video (also 5:53) and, assuming you haven't died of laughter, you'll see what I mean. Kang can sit and wait for Scorpion all day and there's virtually NOTHING Scorpion can do about it. If he jumps in, there is a possibility he could land a throw, but he also takes a HUGE risk of eating an uppercut 90% of the time. Even just by creeping up, he slowly takes damage via low fireballs. A desperate player may even consider using Scorpion's leg takedown. That is a huge mistake as the move is broken and will always lead to an unblockable uppercut for the recovering player. The only thing Scorpion can do is creep up and find the sweet spot for a sweep. Other than that, a player with very quick reflexes can sometimes teleport from full screen and hit a throw as they land. For Scorpion to have a chance here, he is going to have to wait for a missed fireball, cautiously jump in, then hit a deep JK + spear (uppercut.) If Kang is mid-screen, Scorpion can JK, telepunch, spear (uppercut.)

If Kang wants to play this matchup to win, I suggest getting a quick hit via fireball then let Scorpion back himself into a corner. That way if he tries to teleport he won't be able to get out of the corner for a throw attempt and will have no choice but to play offense to no avail. Goes without saying that this is a 9-1 match in favor of Kang.
  • Should Kang bother using kicks?
  • Does Scorpion have any other options to make this a fair fight?
  • How often should Kang spam fireballs here?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I think this match is more unwinnable than Reptile vs Mileena. As the video shows, the loe two keeps Scorpion from having any options other than trying to perfectly time a sweep, or run back and time telepunches. It really is an injustice that Scorpion's takedown could not eat through low toes and sweeps AND WITHOUT taking an uppercut afterwards.

SCORPION
If you're playing an elite Kang, you are an idiot for picking Scorpion LOL. If you're facing a lower-level Kang however, there are some tactics that might get you a win. Stay away from Kang for the most part. Turtle it, and let him shoot fireballs from far away. If he does a high fireball, you can hit him with a telepunch. If he low fireballs, you can press your luck by trying to teleport next to Kang and throwing or sweeping him. Another good play is to try and bait Kang into low fireballing, so you can jump kick/spear him. If you get a life lead, run out that clock... or at least make it look like that's what you're doing so Kang gets silly and uses a flying attack. This is not a fun match for Scorpion, but if you main him, you're gonna have to deal with it a lot.

KANG
Low toe when Scorpion is near. Duck under spears and immediately bicycle kick. Golden punch and mix in fireballs, you'll be virtually untouchable. Anti-air with either his uppercut, or an anti-air punch leading into bicycle kick. If you're really bored, just jab Scorpion to death. Kang has a better sweep, and better in close attacks. And as if all this wasn't unfair enough- Kang ALSO makes the better sounds! WUUAAAAAHH! WAAHTTHAFUKKK!

Probably 10-0 for Kang, but I'm gonna say 9-1 for Kang instead. Because MIKECALDWELL 's Scorpion can at least win 1 out of 10 vs anyone's Kang.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Probably 10-0 for Kang, but I'm gonna say 9-1 for Kang instead. Because MIKECALDWELL 's Scorpion can at least win 1 out of 10 vs anyone's Kang.
VS an elite Kang, it's definitely 9-1, maybe even 9.5-0.5 match. However it's like the NFL (on any given Sunday.) For that reason I can never give a true 10-0 score for any match unless the game were to start you off with 2 victories and simply say "FINISH HIM" as soon as the match begins. :D

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
VS an elite Kang, it's definitely 9-1, maybe even 9.5-0.5 match. However it's like the NFL (on any given Sunday.) For that reason I can never give a true 10-0 score for any match unless the game were to start you off with 2 victories and simply say "FINISH HIM" as soon as the match begins. :D
Yeah I can't truly give a 10-0 either, because that's saying that there is no way Scorpion can beat Kang. If you play out of your mind and get a little lucky, any match is winnable.

Revenant

Noob
A turtle Kang is an absolute nightmare without a doubt, but a more aggressive kang is just not as scary to me. I sometimes find my self airthrowing certain guys out of Bicycle Kicks whenever I make my forward jump at the beginning of the round.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
there probably isn't a Scorpion in the world that can beat scorpangel's Liu. it's just that impossible of a match.
even Reptile and Sub have better weapons to beat Kang.

if you're not playing an elite Liu, then you definitely have a chance- hell you can even make Liu look downright stupid sometimes.
but Liu at his best is untouchable for Scorpion.

there probably isn't a Scorpion in the world that can beat scorpangel's Liu. it's just that impossible of a match.
even Reptile and Sub have better weapons to beat Kang.

if you're not playing an elite Liu, then you definitely have a chance- hell you can even make Liu look downright stupid sometimes.
but Liu at his best is untouchable for Scorpion.
My Kang is far superior to scorpangels

Phaenon

Noob
I still really enjoy this match-up as Scorpion. It doesn't have to be a torturous experience if you play calmly and don't panic. For sure Liu has a good advantage but I think some people exaggerate how bad it is. It's nowhere near as tough as Scorpion vs Jax with the ground pounds that completely destroy Scorpions ability to play defensively.

IMO too many scorpion players here press the attack too recklessly and of course get creamed by any elite Liu Kang. The thing is that both characters are awesome at punishing which can lead to a lot of drawn out stand offs. You gotta play it like like super mario bros by carefully jumping over the fireballs and flying missile kicks. lol

If you get a decent life lead you can actually just run away from Liu Kang all day with teleports and run down the clock , potentially baiting Liu into bad engagements. Scorpion has to take advantage of whatever the opposing player gives him: If there is a bicycle kick coming at you in a jump, air throw him. If he jumps at you from around full screen distance, AA spear him, etc, etc.

Ultimately I'd rate this an 8.5 to 1.5 in favor to Liu Kang, but a lot of the games will be close if the Scorpion player is good.

Last edited: