What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Jax VS Kitana

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is a brutal matchup that requires a lot of patience and thinking on the part of both players. Both can do big damage in the right hands...

Both players can play the zoning game very well, but in the end Jax's waves (zero restart time) and GP will force Kitana to come in close. This isn't all that bad as her JP/JK can usually hit Jax most of the time; despite Jax's godlike HK. Of course, when Kitana's jump-in connects it can be followed with an air fan. Jax will want to get Kitana out of the air if possible so looking for a backbreaker opportunity may not be a bad bet; however playing it safe and turtling is likely Jax's best bet for success. Likewise, Kitana will want to get in close and be aggressive with CQC, swipes, sweeps, and the occasional fan lift. A missed fan lift will lead to big problems for Kitana as Jax can overhead smash, crossover JK, backbreaker for big damage. The general rule for this is to be smart and look for the moments where you can extract the most damage as possible. At the highest level, this match is either a coinflip or slightly in Jax's favor 6-4.
  • How often should Kitana be in the air here?
  • Same with Jax?
  • What's the best way to bait the other player into the air?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
THE best matchup in MK2. scorpangel and I once did 160 Kitana vs Jax matches lol.
This was the video that put me on the map:

A certain someone in the vid claimed Jax should never lose to Kitana, and that he would 20-0 my Kitana. I accepted his challenge, and we agreed to record. Haven't heard much from him since....

KITANA
Most important rule- never stop chasing after Jax. A lot of mediocre Kitanas attempt the "hop backwards and throw air fans over and over" strategy. I myself used to do this when I was new to PS3. This is exactly what Jax wants to see you do, as you aren't in his zone when you do that. Instead, you need to always be in Jax's box. Kitana has a fast walk speed, so she can just chase him down until she gets him in a corner. Who cares if you take damage from a ground pound, you need to be up close to him to win. Pressure him with sweeps, IAFs, fan swipes, punches, crouch punches, low toes.... everything she's got in her arsenal. Test the Jax you're playing against- if he is really good at anti-airing, then be very conservative with your jumps. But if the Jax player can't aaHK you out of jumps, go for it all day long. Jump punch is harder to anti-air, but doesn't combo with air fan like a jump kick does. If you jump kick him as he ground pounds, you can add on an air fan and another JK or HK for 50% damage. Square wave only gets you in trouble in this match. Fan raise is awesome, especially in the corner, but make sure you don't use it up close where Jax can block it, or he can do a massive hammer punch combo.

JAX
Of course you don't want Kitana anywhere near you. Anti-air HK all her jump-ins. You can also uppercut or crouch kick her out of jump ins. Use crouch punches to keep her away, and do a ground pound immediately afterwards. Limit your jumping, as you don't want to chance landing in a fan raise. Multi-ground pounds are risky against Kitana, as it gives her an opening to JK/fan/JK. Use wave punches to keep her off balance. If you get good at golden punching, you can make Jax into a tank. If you're playing a Kitana that won't stop chasing you down, give her a taste of her own medicine and go for a multi-slam throw. That alone takes off I believe 45%. Backbreak her when she's in close and you anticipate her jumping or crossover kicking. Gotcha grab is fairly useless- she usually gets a free hit in after he does it. You don't want to end up in a corner vs Kitana's jab, but chances are she'll chase you into one. Be very careful with your ground pounds in the corner, as it's even easier to be JK/fan/HK'd here. Basically, keep your distance from her and win.

I really don't know overall what it is. Jax is stronger, but Kitana's fast sweeps and big combos can really hurt him.
I think it's a 6-4 match for Jax, but if Kitana plays out of her mind, watch out.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I agree with Jason, I often pick Jax hoping it will be an easier win against a strong player. And more often than not I get beaten worse than I would have with Sub, Jax is easy to fluster if you keep on him!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I agree with Jason, I often pick Jax hoping it will be an easier win against a strong player. And more often than not I get beaten worse than I would have with Sub, Jax is easy to fluster if you keep on him!
Being aggressive against Jax is the only winning strategy in almost every matchup. But a tank Jax is incredibly hard to pressure, thus why he is top tier.

Reactions: MKB