What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Really starting to feel like ending a combo with nut punch is a bill. Been tinkering with ending combos in F44 instead of nut punch in the mid-screen. Higher damage ender, and you're left with more options for your next attack. It's going pretty well.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Really starting to feel like ending a combo with nut punch is a bill. Been tinkering with ending combos in F44 instead of nut punch in the mid-screen. Higher damage ender, and you're left with more options for your next attack. It's going pretty well.
I had a similar train of thought.

What I realised, tho, is that with the restand you're limiting they're options of defense, since there are a lot of those in this game. Restand = no roll/wakeup/delay wakeup.

But then.. you don't gain much from the advantage of 5 frames and.. no guaranteed mid.. besides d1.

Since d1 on hit (if ACTUALLY works on particular character's hurtbox) jails in to 2,4,4 ... I started doing exactly that after the nutpunch and i'm just going from there.

Mixing with 121xxFisticuffs, f4,4 and shadowkick (MU dependant) enders is a good idea imo.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Need. Fast. Mid. Everyone else has seriously disjointed hitboxes. It’s like we’re Mario and everyone else is Marth. They either have these reaching normals, or fast mids like Cassie.

Idk what I can even do if I run into a Skarlet as good as mine while I’m Johnny. Prolly cry while she F2’s and S3’s me into a bloody pulp.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Need. Fast. Mid. Everyone else has seriously disjointed hitboxes. It’s like we’re Mario and everyone else is Marth. They either have these reaching normals, or fast mids like Cassie.

Idk what I can even do if I run into a Skarlet as good as mine while I’m Johnny. Prolly cry while she F2’s and S3’s me into a bloody pulp.
I know it's early, but Skarlet may be a pretty bad MU for Johnny. I went ahead and learned her strings in an attempt to flawless block her, as it seems like the only way to fucking deal with her.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I know it's early, but Skarlet may be a pretty bad MU for Johnny. I went ahead and learned her strings in an attempt to flawless block her, as it seems like the only way to fucking deal with her.
Oh, she's my new main, dude. I can't pull myself away from Johnny because I like his design too much, but he's my secondary/for fun character right now. When I fight rushdown types without a teleport- Cass, Johnny, Jax, Baraka, Kabal, etc. I start to feel bad. I frame trap them at fullscreen with a mix of projectile tools. They put it all this work to close the distance, and I can shimmy her f2 and complete the string or just do f2 xx blood tentacle for more pushback. Repeat. If they try to jump, s3 stuffs it.

Closing the distance means nothing to me. So s3 is a high, right? Doesn't matter since f2 is mid. You can't neutral crouch your way in. They have no way to get to me, unless I make a mistake. It isn't up to them. Forgot to mention Skarlet actually doesn't care about flawless block, because her best variation has a parry she can cancel her strings into to counter a flawless block punish.

My point is I think everyone, not just Johnny mains, really needs to explore the cast. I keep hearing broad statements like "X character is strong, x is weak, x can do this" without any real data.

The more characters you play, the more you see who has unique tools and who's lacking. Playing Shao has shown me how awesome it is to play neutral from beyond Skarlet range with some sick frame traps to boot. Playing Cass has shown me how cool it is to have fast mids and an antizone projectile that ducks other projectiles and converts for a full combo into a +53 knockdown. Playing Skarlet has shown me what top tier feels like how long range normals are the most important thing in the game right now. Playing Jade has shown me there's a character worse than Johnny.

Last edited:
@Wrath0594 Thanks for the tips. Definitely was bein sloppy with the nutpunches. I was pressuring wakeup a lot earlier but felt I was being predictable. Was working on restraint and forgot to pressure entirely lol. I'll post some losses here next time.

Regarding changes made today: Johnny's Fatal Blow was doing 2% more dmg at the end of combos for a few hours. It was 32% by itself during that time (not sure what it was originally). Damage to normal combos seemed unchanged. I know this because I was working on a combo video before and after the change and it fked me up.

For anyone interested Here's 32.5%-44.7% combos off of jump kicks in the corner. At one point today the last one was doing 465dmg. It's now 447.

Ludaaak

Noob
Reall
Wanted to edit it this thread and make it a General rather than just a Move List thread. Let's discuss all things John Carlton.

Feel free to post tech, combos etc. Hopefully we can get the GOAT @IrishMantis back here so we can steal all of his tech. :cool:

Johnny Hype!!
I’m super excited for an in depth guide thread on Big John. I’ve been labbing him for all of a day and I like what I see. His rushdown is sound and zoning is almost s tier He makes for a real headache for some of these bots i’ve found in some of these rooms.

Johnny Hype!

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Has anyone actually found some Johnny tech?
I'd have thought some of you sweatier bois would've found something cool by now :^)

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Even though its not one of his variation moves, I have noticed that Johnny's Pissed Off command grab can be blocked. It also cannot be tick thrown since I tried using it during his block-strings with the AI set on block, and I get punished every time by Sub-Zero's slide.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Even though its not one of his variation moves, I have noticed that Johnny's Pissed Off command grab can be blocked. It also cannot be tick thrown since I tried using it during his block-strings with the AI set on block, and I get punished every time by Sub-Zero's slide.
A command grab can be blocked. Someone at NRS really fuckin' hates Johnny.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Heres my elbow flow chart, a WIP

Step WUN:
B3 block, into elbow = can get flawlessblocked /nuech... who the fuck is gonna do that when you have b34, an insane low followup/ez hitconfirm
B3 hits, i elbow = guaranteed elbow block ( flawless blockable, but would have to take an insane read )

Step TOO: We mid now boyz
b3 shennanigans work from Step WUN. Only now you cant neuch duck, the elbow is officially a mid.
b3 on hit into elbow = guaranteed elbow block ( same risk )

Step THREE: UNBLOCKABLE
Literally fuck your opponents shit up with a juicy ass elbow now thats unblockable and will strike elbow fear into your bitch opponent.

Yours Truly,
YouDon'tNeedExFBs

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
don't know if this has been discussed here yet, but have you noticed Johnny's Fuck You Taunt is censored? I'm kind of disappointed with that. :(
Yeah, I did notice that. It's an M-rated game where people are getting their heads decapitated and their bodies mutilated in horrifying ways. If we can deal with that, we can handle some foul language.

EDIT: Cassie in the Story Mode even flat-out says "Fuck you", so not really sure of the decision there.

Last edited:
Woah woah woah. They fucking censored his fuck you taunt?! If they never cared about saying fuck I don't see why they do now. I mean I can appreciate the comedy of bleeps like in his fatality. It fit his character so well and I was really looking forward to getting it after 8 months of grinding

Error404

Noob
Blockstrings jail into fireballs now. Tested it on SZ last night. Raw they still whiff on him crouch blocking , but string into amp.fireball jails.

Yeah, I did notice that. It's an M-rated game where people are getting their heads decapitated and their bodies mutilated in horrifying ways. If we can deal with that, we can handle some foul language.

EDIT: Cassie in the Story Mode even flat-out says "Fuck you", so not really sure of the decision there.
i'm just hoping they get around to this. i was super hyped to get this once i've seen it on streams/youtube, and was excited when i got it in the krypts. at first i thought i just missed hearing it, but when it happened again, i couldn't hear all the fucks. just.. you! you! you!

now i'm just sad. :(

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
Woah woah woah. They fucking censored his fuck you taunt?! If they never cared about saying fuck I don't see why they do now. I mean I can appreciate the comedy of bleeps like in his fatality. It fit his character so well and I was really looking forward to getting it after 8 months of grinding
Wait, what? They did?
What a bunch of sisses, jesus christ.

Saltea Mike

ROG Mike
39% fatal blow cancel corner combo. Probably not optimal, I didn't have enough time to really tinker with it. Your fatal blow comes back pretty much right after the combo ends.
Good.

After nutpunch you can go for a F3, then juggle with 2s (3 times, 4 is not worth it) and end with 121 into anything.

My version of your combo did 403 (with 4 2s, 395 with 3 2s.).

Last edited: