What's new

mk11 beta 1080p vs 720p input lag test ?

i tried to test with my 144hz monitor and usb communication setups with my ps4 pro and i barely seen any difference. i dont know if anyone els tested it ? ive seen even pros using 1080p wich isnt the norm since you have more input lag frames..

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i tried to test with my 144hz monitor and usb communication setups with my ps4 pro and i barely seen any difference. i dont know if anyone els tested it ? ive seen even pros using 1080p wich isnt the norm since you have more input lag frames..
NRS input lag leniency has always been that good since MK9 or even MK vs DC

Thank god we never had this problem, we sure wouldn't start now.

@deathstroke187 can you elaborate about the input lag differences between the 4 games? im very interested in this topic
sadly i do not own the tools to have real numbers like https://displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

but that said every major tournement set their console at 720p for that reason.
games like inj2 doesnt even feel like the same game on ps4 if set to 720p it feel way more responsive than 1080p same goes for mkx.

certain tight combos are way easier.

i wish i had the tools and software to test it myself.

omg I had no idea, I missed the memo on that one, I've been missing out on a better experience. OK so in MK11, what do you think of running it at 4k on a ps4 pro?

I'm confused. According to the link you posted for that display lag database, MKX and INJ2 have pretty much the same amount of input lag.

And it's also just ~5 frames at 1080p so I don't understand why they'd be setting the resolution down
sorry maybe i wasnt clear , im not comparing games to each other im comparing them using 720p or 1080p

example mkx 720p or 1080p input lag etc... those 3 games inj,inj2 and mkx run way better at 720p compare to 1080p input lag wise

gitblame

Noob
No. Current NRS netocode adds 2 fixed frames of delay. If you play someone with good connection the experience will be close to offline as much it is possible.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I thought the 1080p vs 720p thing was an XB1 thing only because XB1 didn't run at 1080p natively?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I thought the 1080p vs 720p thing was an XB1 thing only because XB1 didn't run at 1080p natively?
Now it's the other way around. My Xbox One X runs games at higher resolutions and framerates than my PS4 Pro. But, my Spiderman Edition Pro looks so good in that amazing red color!

By the way, this game looks amazing in 4K on the Xbox One X. I did not notice any lag while running in 4K. In fact, it runs better than the Xbox One S in 1080p or whatever it's running natively at.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not sure where the 720p vs 1080p output myth started. I think maybe some game on the previous console generation had issues. Regardless, Injustice 2 had no lag differences when changing this setting. I would be skeptical as to any game on PS4 or Xbox having a difference without seeing any tests.

There is no reason to use 720p on the console output settings for NRS games, unless your monitor does not support 1080p.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Not sure where the 720p vs 1080p output myth started. I think maybe some game on the previous console generation had issues. Regardless, Injustice 2 had no lag differences when changing this setting. I would be skeptical as to any game on PS4 or Xbox having a difference without seeing any tests.

There is no reason to use 720p on the console output settings for NRS games, unless your monitor does not support 1080p.
Xbox One had a lot of games that ran natively on 900p instead of 1080p because apparently the hardware was weak back then. So some were saying forcing the resolution/upscaling to 1080p in some games caused some lag. IIRC Perfect Legend was one of the players in our community pushing this narrative and somehow this myth then was pushed on PS4 as well.

I recall no one being able to provide evidence/test results when asked about this.

even though you are a dev , i dont think you are aware of the facts. its not a myth and it has impacts with the input delay 100% in inj2 and mkx. Every single majors beens played on consoles set to 720p i have a ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor.

im also a Dev and we have the same issues with our games. its console related if you play inj2 on pc 1080p has no issue input lag wise and the game feel faster and more responsive. Anyway dont trust me ? just try it.

example mkx 720p or 1080p input lag etc... those 3 games inj,inj2 and mkx run way better at 720p compare to 1080p input lag wise
The measurements on the site include resolution though. So 5 frames even on 1080p.

And for reference it appears 4 frames is about as low as it can get

The measurements on the site include resolution though. So 5 frames even on 1080p.

And for reference it appears 4 frames is about as low as it can get
they havent tested any of those games at 720p though .some games have only 1 frame lag with certain monitor.
5 frames doesnt seems a lot but is huge compare to 1. think of SF4 1 frames links.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
even though you are a dev , i dont think you are aware of the facts. its not a myth and it has impacts with the input delay 100% in inj2 and mkx. Every single majors beens played on consoles set to 720p i have a ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor.

im also a Dev and we have the same issues with our games. its console related if you play inj2 on pc 1080p has no issue input lag wise and the game feel faster and more responsive. Anyway dont trust me ? just try it.
We did try it, we have team that performs input lag testing and the result is the same.

If you want further independent tests of 720p vs 1080p would suggest trying to get a community member such as Noodalls or DisplayLag to corroborate.

Based on the anectodal evidence of feel, I played countless hours and competed in tournaments for previous NRS games before Injustice 2 and have never felt a different when setting the console to different output settings.

We did try it, we have team that performs input lag testing and the result is the same.

If you want further independent tests of 720p vs 1080p would suggest trying to get a community member such as Noodalls or DisplayLag to corroborate.

Based on the anectodal evidence of feel, I played countless hours and competed in tournaments for previous NRS games before Injustice 2 and have never felt a different when setting the console to different output settings.
Thanks Dizzy for the fast reply and btw you are one of my favorite FGC player so i mean no disrespect. but either its my setup and every friends setups i played on that had the same issue or it might be that you arent affected or feeling it. im not trolling here or trying to blame NRS cause its 100% hardware related. think about it just like any other game lowering the resolution give you more frames and in certain case reduce latency. i monitor even my pc latency with Lanmon. I have talked with current pros that think the same about this issue.

and for Noodalls i contacted him in private and ill post his results here if he accepts.

SGX

Noob
Consoles render games at a fixed resolution and upscale/downscale to match what you have the output resolution set to. It's been tested with multiple games time and time again. There is no difference in input latency