What's new

mk10 to still use unreal 3

Mortal Kombat 10 Will Still Use Unreal Engine 3 – Good Idea or Not?
By: Alan Ng | March 18, 2011 |

We have some important news for Mortal Kombat fans now, as we have heard that a deal has been struck between Warner Bros and Epic Games which will ensure that followup titles from developers NetherRealm Studios will still make use of the old Unreal Engine 3.

We say old, but it’s still a pretty good engine, as you can see from titles such as Batman: Arkham Asylum, Gears of War 1 and 2, Unreal Tournament and of course the upcoming Mortal Kombat game due out in April on PS3 and Xbox 360.

However, this latest deal by Warner and Epic ensures that the Unreal Engine will still be used on all future Warner games until 2014, as reported from Joystiq, which of course could include followup titles to Batman: Arkham City and Mortal Kombat 9 – How would you feel about this?

The graphics are looking pretty impressive for Mortal Kombat as it is, but are you perhaps disappointed that a potential follow-up to Mortal Kombat will use the same Unreal Engine 3, and not a brand new one, like Unreal 4 for example? Epic has stated that 2012 will be the year when the Unreal Engine 4 will be ready for developer use so, we’re hoping that things may change at this point next year.

We are probably jumping ahead of ourselves here, but we can definitely see another Mortal Kombat game in the pipeline. The 2011 game isn’t even out yet but you can already see that it is going to go down a treat with fans..see what 2D can do for you? Give your thoughts on this folks.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/03/18/mortal-kombat-10-will-still-use-unreal-engine-3-good-idea-or-not/

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I mean I don't necessarily mind, but that's just me.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't mind at all, the UR as far as I'm concerned is one of the best looking engines out there and this MK arguably not only looks better then most other fighters(at least IMO) but the fact that you see the realistic cosmetic damage and bruises, blood, photorealistic style etc is really all that MK needs.

Noob
I don't mind at all, the UR as far as I'm concerned is one of the best looking engines out there and this MK arguably not only looks better then most other fighters(at least IMO) but the fact that you see the realistic cosmetic damage and bruises, blood, photorealistic style etc is really all that MK needs.
LOL, Pete, if they used atari sprites you wouldn't care as long as it said MK and had Raiden...LOL

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol Raiden isn't even my all time fav character :p tsk tsk tsk he's one of them though :)

Nah I'm glad they went with UR engine as it fits MKU perfectly, aren't you? UR FTW!

DrDogg

Noob
Probably not the right MK site for something like this. The graphics in MK9 are fine and it's clear using UE3 doesn't take away from the gameplay in any noticable ways.

Also, if the author of the article had thought about it, waiting for UE4 would just mean you wouldn't see the next MK until at least 2013, possibly not until 2014. UE4 is due out in 2012, but even if it's early 2012, NRS will have to adjust to the new engine and modify it to work with a fighting game. That takes a considerable amount of time. No way they'd have a new game ready the same year.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well i wont mind UR engine as long as they edit it again to make it more gritty. TBH they should edit it enough for it to be call MK engine or NRS engine among fans

They should also fix some of the things dealing with hair and apparel (smokes random hair spams, human cyrax and sektor costume spasm, Kabal random pigtail spasms)

But this game does deserve an engine that makes it look like no other fighting game