What's new

MK1 to UMK3 were more like japanese fighters

X820

Noob
That MK1 was a quick project is no secret. But copying SF ?
I don't know man, how else are you going to make a high kick, jump kick etc?
These are moves from martial arts, there are thousands of games that look like this, they are not all SF ripoffs, a lot pre-date SF too.

Japan spawned the fighting game genre, especially back then what were midway supposed to do, re-invent martial arts?

This beeing said, MK9 is doing it's own thing pretty much and as much as I agree that EX/focus cancels are fun and add a lot to SF4.. This isn't SF4.

No offense ninjalord, but isn't it time to get over the fact that you don't like MK9 yet? :)

SSF4 Arcade is coming soon.

Tim Static

Adminerator
everyone copied SF2 back then. and why not?

the SF2 series is probably the best of all fighters, ever.

but you can only make the human body looks so different for doing the same motions. I mean, i guess they both are copying human movement. COPYCATS!!

I'm definitly with ninja on the hitboxes. They're horribly unpredictable, especially online. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage due to my experience with MK1-UMK3. I still make assumptions on hitboxes and wakeup speeds that end up losing me matches a lot. 20 years of experience is hard to unlearn! I feel like the block recovery/wakeup recovery is very muddy and hard to accurately time. It seems different every time I try to throw a move/wakeup after a block or being knocked down. A good example of this is when I try to throw a special (ex: Nightwolf's shoulder charge) at the beginning of a match I get it 1 out of 10 tries because it acts like it doesn't take my inputs till like two seconds after the announcer says, "Fight". I really like the game but I just wish the controls were more solid and the hitboxes weren't so kooky.

ninjalord said:
i don't know what you're asking me.

? explain what? shuma gorath or sf or mortal kombat 9? mk9 would be one of the best fighting games of all time if it had varying basic normals, 2d hitboxes, 3 to 4 frame jab pressure with pushback, and more recovery on some of the moves, especially xray (i'm looking at you scorpion), reptile's dash, kitana's fan toss, raiden's teleport and many other characters.
maybe hes saying mvc2 was a great game and the fighters didnt have similar normals and the hitboxes are crazy random (also like that in 3s, the best sf in series imo)

and why should those moves have more recovery? if it was faster, how do you expect people to consistently punish them?

btbb99

Noob
ninjalord is just speaking his mind, he's not being biased. everyone has their own opinion on mk9 and he is stating his and there is nothing wrong with that. i personally agree with him on all his points but i'm not going to get into that. i realize that alot of guys love this game and there is nothing wrong with that either. you like what you like and that's that... @ninjalord, just let it go dude, alot of guys love the game, no need to keep bashing it

X820

Noob
The thing is that you are looking at it from an early MK point of view I think, I agree that the new gen fighters in general could be better (imo).
The first time I played SF4 was on the day of it's release and I didn't touch it after that until recently.
Stupid floaty characters with weird hitboxes in comparison to 3rd trike.
But in all honesty that was me not beeing to get over the fact that SF4 was a NEW game and had little to do with 3rd strike.
Same as MK9 has little to do with the classics, it's a new system.

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
MK1 to UMK3 < MK9 deal with it!
UMK3 is a stupid as hell its realy fun but also realy stupid

X820

Noob
^This doesn't prove a point really..

Besides, you get on GGPO or hit the 3rd strike guys on mayor websites and try selling them SF4 as a "real SF". lol

I'm sure those guys could explain collision detection on both games and tell you why SF4 sucks in their oppinion.

Same reasons you have against MK9 pretty much.

In a nutshell though;

This is what it is, be happy with what you got (a decent MK).