What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

Wait how will be be Sub-Zero next game if he becomes Noob? Is Noob from a different time line?
So we don’t know exactly what happens but Havik turns him into Noob.

Kuai Liang and the others try to save him from what I understand, and Liu Kang manages to subdue him. Kuai asks if he can be saved and Liu Kang says he can but it will take time. He leaves bi-han locked away in the temple of the elements and that’s that.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Btw, story is meh at best. As much as I dislike Kronika, would've been way better if it was her messing up Liu's timeline somehow. Shang being Damashi is like an Aftermath dlc for the main story.
Characters like Reiko and Shao, and maybe others, can't remember, didn't make any use of their weapons and abolities.
Havik being the last big bad was underwhelming since he was just a whimp through the rest of the story.
Idk, not really any big impacts in the story. The worst one yet.
Last chapter was dope though.
yeah

the story started cool and ended poorly

Reiko, Nitara, Havik, Rain and Tanya are pure jobber bullshit material

Even Shao, looks more a premium jobber and a complete idiot , grunt boy and lost into the story lore , serving more as a way to justify he trying to be a threat along with Shang Tsung and Quan Chi

Quan Chi is a dorky, pathetic lap dog and not the cunning Quan from prior games

Ermac is a waste, only purpose was to set the Jerrod come back

Kitana is ultra overshadowed by Mileena; Mileena is my favorite character from MK franchise, but, Kitana looks so bad developed and acted like a housemaid of Mileena all the time, is fucking disgusting, lol !

Li Mei had potential, but was put as minor stuff, with overdramatic past background about her supposed guilty , so, boring .....

The strong points : Kenshi story arch is pretty good, also his Sento link and source is well done and a bit emotional ..... Baraka is a fucking hero, and Reptile is nice too, doing good his little participation

Ashrah was cool also; despite being a demon, her interaction is funny and she is adorable !

Scorpion and Smoke are ok, expected as always ..... cool that they will build Shiray Ryu to rival with Lin Kuei, Kuai Liang as Scorpion is badass and I liked a lot

Liu Kang is pretty good ! Also Kung Lao and Raiden did their part nicely during their time in story

Sub-Zero is kinda one-dimensional, but, was so-so OK during his participation ..... at least the motherfucker was not killed this time, and we will see more of him next time

Sindel is good as good person; show wisdow and leadership qualities

Shang Tsung is lots of fun with his mannerisms ! He losing his patience and cool with Bi Han is gold ! I mean, the Liu Kang timelime Shang .... Titan Shang is just megalomaniac and boring as hell , lol !

Johnny Cage .... well, it is him just being funny and badmouthing every time and doing one time jokes, so, he is OK, better than MK11 Johnny so ....

Geras is pretty neutral , but , better than his MK 11 version

Mileena is amazing in story, her arch development is fine, and she kicked some major ass there, so, yeah, justice for Mileena done in this game !

So, let's see if they improve some things and stuff related to the characters , in the expansion story that, was leaked and we know that will happen anyway, hehe

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
yeah

the story started cool and ended poorly

Reiko, Nitara, Havik, Rain and Tanya are pure jobber bullshit material

Even Shao, looks more a premium jobber and a complete idiot , grunt boy and lost into the story lore , serving more as a way to justify he trying to be a threat along with Shang Tsung and Quan Chi

Quan Chi is a dorky, pathetic lap dog and not the cunning Quan from prior games

Ermac is a waste, only purpose was to set the Jerrod come back

Kitana is ultra overshadowed by Mileena; Mileena is my favorite character from MK franchise, but, Kitana looks so bad developed and acted like a housemaid of Mileena all the time, is fucking disgusting, lol !

Li Mei had potential, but was put as minor stuff, with overdramatic past background about her supposed guilty , so, boring .....

The strong points : Kenshi story arch is pretty good, also his Sento link and source is well done and a bit emotional ..... Baraka is a fucking hero, and Reptile is nice too, doing good his little participation

Ashrah was cool also; despite being a demon, his interaction is funny and she is adorable !

Scorpion and Smoke are ok, expected as always ..... cool that they will build Shiray Ryu to rival with Lin Kuei, Kuai Liang as Scorpion is badass and I liked a lot

Liu Kang is pretty good ! Also Kung Lao and Raiden did their part nicely during their time in story

Sub-Zero is kinda one-dimensional, but, was so-so OK during his participation ..... at least the motherfucker was not killed this time, and we will see more of him next time

Sindel is good as good person; show wisdow and leadership qualities

Shang Tsung is lots of fun with his mannerisms ! He losing his patience and cool with Bi Han is gold ! I mean, the Liu Kang timelime Shang .... Titan Shang is just megalomaniac and boring as hell , lol !

Johnny Cage .... well, it is him just being funny and badmouthing every time and doing one time jokes, so, he is OK, better than MK11 Johnny so ....

Geras is pretty neutral , but , better than his MK 11 version

Mileena is amazing in story, her arch development is fine, and she kicked some major ass there, so, yeah, justice for Mileena done in this game !

So, let's see if they improve some things and stuff related to the characters , in the expansion story that, was leaked and we know that will happen anyway, hehe
I agree with everything, specially about Quan Chi being a lap dog and not the scary Quan from MKM/MK4

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
A lot of criticism seems to lament the fact that some characters have minor roles or an undeveloped backstory. Ermac, Reiko are examples of unidimensional characters.
But like what do you expect in a game that has 24 characters on the roster? A deep character ark for all of them? The Single-player would need to span 35 hrs. Given that this is a fresh take on the lore of many characters, I'm okay with the choices of characters that were developed and Im hoping future games will delve into other characters.
It's like everyone wants THEIR character to play an integral part of the story when that's just not realistic.

xenogorgeous

A lot of criticism seems to lament the fact that some characters have minor roles or an undeveloped backstory. Ermac, Reiko are examples of unidimensional characters.
But like what do you expect in a game that has 24 characters on the roster? A deep character ark for all of them? The Single-player would need to span 35 hrs. Given that this is a fresh take on the lore of many characters, I'm okay with the choices of characters that were developed and Im hoping future games will delve into other characters.
It's like everyone wants THEIR character to play an integral part of the story when that's just not realistic.
fair enough .... for a 4 hours long story mode, yeah, some characters will barely be there for any or some reason

however ......

Just fuck FIRE Dominic, NRS ! His poor writing is looping the MK lore story into an infinity boring multiverse that is geting old already, with those same recycled ideas !

The ending of all MK modern games stories modes, just are bad ...... the story starts amazing, and when you expect something amazing incredible to happen in the third act, in the final end, bingo ..... you have some stupid shit happening in a very unsatisfactory way ..... so fuck that, hehe !

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
fair enough .... for a 4 hours long story mode, yeah, some characters will barely be there for any or some reason

however ......

Just fuck FIRE Dominic, NRS ! His poor writing is looping the MK lore story into an infinity boring multiverse that is geting old already, with those same recycled ideas !

The ending of all MK modern games stories modes, just are bad ...... the story starts amazing, and when you expect something amazing incredible to happen in the third act, in the final end, bingo ..... you have some stupid shit happening in a very unsatisfactory way ..... so fuck that, hehe !
Yea that third act tho...
There is a general fatigue of the multiverse trope at this point. Movies are using it to nostalgia bait and I was sad to see that MK1 did it as well with the whole Armageddon chapter.

The whole Kronika/Shang Tsung from another timeline aspect of the story could have been replaced by something more local. A deeper look at some other classic villain and their increasing thirst for power. Like that Havik thing at the end could have been a cool character to explore and to make as the main antagonist (while being helped by Quan Chi and Shang to include them in the story). He could start low ranked at the beginning, gather followers and as the story progresses, he goes beyond the role Liu Kang gave him and he causes chaos in Liu Kang's universe.

Im just spit balling but Im sick of multiverses and rehashing the same villains

xenogorgeous

There is a general fatigue of the multiverse trope at this point. Movies are using it to nostalgia bait and I was sad to see that MK1 did it as well with the whole Armageddon chapter.

The whole Kronika/Shang Tsung from another timeline aspect of the story could have been replaced by something more local. A deeper look at some other classic villain and their increasing thirst for power. Like that Havik thing at the end could have been a cool character to explore and to make as the main antagonist (while being helped by Quan Chi and Shang to include them in the story). He could start low ranked at the beginning, gather followers and as the story progresses, he goes beyond the role Liu Kang gave him and he causes chaos in Liu Kang's universe.

yep

I would like something more basic, with minor smaller scale, like, not involving a bunch of crazy fan service and multiple versions of the same characters, kinda ....... what the fuck put the armaggedon reference arch into the new story ?

this game was supposed to reset all the MK story lore, and so, keep simple from beggining to end ..... simple, but , creative , that was the idea .... more centric related, but with more surprising elements :cool:

but no, they had to fuck off everything , and put that ton of old games references, multiverse , fan service to exhaustion , and so, MK1 just seems to be an mandatory extension of MK11, lol !

was said, it generates a boredom fatigue already with the MK lore thematic ...... but, they have to please the fanboys and casuals so

MK1 story = Quantity over Quality , unfortunately

Let's see if MK2 improves this formula , or try to make better next time :)

I honestly can't understand what the hell is going on with Kitana.

She's just there, like a minor character, jobbing to everybody; and without any real character development. How it is possible that she is at the same level as Tanya, Rain or Reiko on this game? She deserved a chapter for herself, just like she had in previous games. Somehow, somebody decide that she didn't deserve a spotlight this time around (at least, the "new Kitana". The titan Kitana at least had her moment killing those four).

I'm glad that eternal jobbers like Reptile or Baraka had a chapter for thenselves. I'm glad that Mileena is the main character this time around but Kitana could have some presence too, even in a minor chapter just like Lao did.

I'm still hating Megan Fox VA... and that woman is an actress?

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
I strongly agree with this multiverse crap: it's already very saturated and boring. yayaya it's cool to see a nostalgia throwback but that's about it. MOVE ON!

I actually enjoyed Quan Chi's personality this time around. He's not that evil scum yet because he's "starting his career". For a game that deals with a new beginning, that's cool.

The only thing about him that was kinda ??? to me is his connection to Ashrah.
We see him talking about working on the mines and how "Kronika" took him out of there to make him a powerful sorcerer, but the game doesn't give the feeling of timeskips. Yet he managed to go into the Netherrealm and form a Sisterhood of Shadows to obey him. idk, to me it seemed a little strange/forced.

I strongly agree with this multiverse crap: it's already very saturated and boring. yayaya it's cool to see a nostalgia throwback but that's about it. MOVE ON!

I actually enjoyed Quan Chi's personality this time around. He's not that evil scum yet because he's "starting his career". For a game that deals with a new beginning, that's cool.

The only thing about him that was kinda ??? to me is his connection to Ashrah.
We see him talking about working on the mines and how "Kronika" took him out of there to make him a powerful sorcerer, but the game doesn't give the feeling of timeskips. Yet he managed to go into the Netherrealm and form a Sisterhood of Shadows to obey him. idk, to me it seemed a little strange/forced.
Did it mention when Titan Shang became aware of Lui's New Era? I don't think that was specifically stated.

When "Kronika" visits Shang and offers him power, I simply assumed that was a prologue of sorts and then there was a time skip moving forward. For Shang to learn sorcery, endear himself to Sindel, build his lab, reputation, Flesh Pits, do his experiments, etc. would take many years to get going.

In the previous timelines, Shang was also very old and preserved his live via souls. I assume Shang was visited here around the Great Kung Lao's time, meaning "Kronika" would have visited Quan around the same time. Plenty of time for him to master his necromantic sorcery, go to the NetherRealm (where Shinnok no longer exists) and start his Sisterhood of Shadow.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I finally got the game and finished story mode - I can post here again yay!

A few take aways from story mode:

Started great until the timeline story arc kicked in again halfway through. I was really enjoying the outworld intrigue angle and then it all went to shit. Timeline disturbances are one of the worst choices in MK story history - they are boring and a cop out. I thought we were past it, but unfortunately no. Loved the mashup characters at the end though – that was heaps of fun.

Big Winners:

Mileena: Fantastic story arc and her struggles were the most interesting storyline by far. Had the most action packed chapter. Loved that she was not a villain in this one.

Baraka: Enjoyed him being a bit of a hero and the last couple of games he has some actual depth.

Johnny: He is always fun

Raiden: Nice story from humble guy to MK tournament winner

Big Losers

Kitana: Ineffectual and did nothing. You would not have noticed her if she was not in the story at all.

Geras: Hardly seen and no fights. Just a bland background character.

Nitara, Rain, Reiko, Shao, Havik: Can put them all in the same category – jobbers. All bland and just got beaten up. At least Shao has a storyline, so he was a little better than the rest. Thank god that Nitara had only a few lines (TERRIBLE!!!)!

Like you scratched the glossy surface or the functionality was damaged?
Scratched the acutal button. Functionality, thankfully, remained fine.

The Controller was only 2 months old at the time too. Made me a sad panda.

It's actually still the Controller I'm using with my Xbox One X today.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Scratched the acutal button. Functionality, thankfully, remained fine.

The Controller was only 2 months old at the time too. Made me a sad panda.

It's actually still the Controller I'm using with my Xbox One X today.
Dude, wtf?

Get yourself a soft and thin piece of cloth like a napkin or something, place it over the buttons and quickly rub your index finger over it. One finger, in a quick up and down motion and in 2 seconds you'll be done without any sense of fatique or discomfort.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Couple nitpicks that come to mind, one being that Havik was very underdeveloped, I would have just liked to see some info about him or something. Scorpion burns his face but he can rip his arms off and magically grow them back? Why yo? Also Darrius should have gotten a throw away line he was begging for it

The main character of the story is kind of new era Shang Tsung but he just kind of disappears after his chapter unless you play as him(which I did), but it just feels like it was his story of revenge against Liu but than it got co-opted by pre-timeline Shang, which is fine.. but neither of them got real closure it felt like. OG Shang didn't even have a cool line or have his body explode he just gets knocked out and dusted away. The ending was fine with the teahouse I just thought there was an anti climatic element to the narrative there. I got to go do those arcade ladders for the endings tho

I feel like that line where Liu says his 'arrogance was his downfall' was referring to this. Shang's just gonna Shang, the mans never going to get enough souls
Darrius should have at least got to say “Finna talmbout, skeet skeet.“

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

When that final battle at the Pyramid started, I was sure that Havik was going to be the main villain. Those mash-up characters you fight were exactly the kind of chaos-style shenanigans that fit his character. Disappointed that he had nothing to do with that, and was just “ there” for it.

It's like they just refuse to step down the scale. Everything was starting fine in this story - fresh start, Liu Kang renounced the Hourglass, story was mostly moving forward interestingly for many characters then BOOM armageddon IDGAF everyone dies (or not, multiple timelines lololol).
Legit felt like the storyline was half written and then the writer saw the latest MCU and DCEU slop and came home jacked on pixie sticks and was like "OMG WE NEED A MULTIVERSE!" and puked every bad idea onto a page in a textbook example of how to destroy stakes, throw away character development and turn things into a clusterfuck.

Ermac, Reiko are examples of unidimensional characters.
I'm totally okay with simpler characters, but they need to have something compelling about them. NRS totally fails with its villains all the time because they're never allowed to win or generate threat any other way. Reiko, for instance, makes a cool 2nd in command to Shao...but that is the role someone like Goro has to Shang...and what is Goro originally? A powerhouse that is very dangerous and has wins under his belt (centuries of them per lore including the Great Kung Lao). Reiko is...some guy that loses every fight.

Shao? GENERAL OF OUTWORLD AND HERO OF BLAHBLAH. Does nothing but lose. It's such an absurd downgrade I lose investment in the character and the story because the antagonists are all losers that couldn't buy a W with a black card and Scrooge's money bin.

Turning every fight into, apparently, a 50/50 match-up makes it feel really arbitrary. People win because the story says so...not because of any other factors. Compare this to something like Street Fighter where they are VERY meticulous with their general power scale of characters and how people match-up. It adds depth to the world and creates drama.

Preach

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Legit felt like the storyline was half written and then the writer saw the latest MCU and DCEU slop and came home jacked on pixie sticks and was like "OMG WE NEED A MULTIVERSE!" and puked every bad idea onto a page in a textbook example of how to destroy stakes, throw away character development and turn things into a clusterfuck.
This is exactly how I feel. I do not know why they felt the need to go so large scale with every title. It was enough to center the story around Mileena's dilemma. Raiden's ascension and Shang being a two faced ass. It could have then developed in to the next game.

Unfortunately now they are going to have to go even larger.

One other thing is Shang Tsung absolutely killed it! The voice actor, facial capture / animations was some of the best I've ever seen or heard. Great job on that!
Indeed! It was absolutely incredible. I had to check if either Shang Tsung were Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, because the delivery sounded exactly like him. I hope Alan Lee will be back, because he was outstanding.