What's new

MK Trilogy for the N64 worth buying if you already own UMK3?

Well I bought an n64 for killer instinct, and am wondering whether or not to get trilogy. I did a search and it seems to be a pretty bad version from what I read. I had trilogy for the ps1 and liked it for casual play, and the thought of playing it without load times seems pretty appealing added glitches or not. Plus it seems like I could get some fun out of abusing it.

What do you think? Anyone here who plays on live still bust out the n64 trilogy? Thing is it's kinda pricy for it's age even on ebay thanks to shipping to canada. (more than mk armageddon is new at the store). But man that n64 masked subzero looks nuts.

Mario

Noob
Re: MK Trilogy for the N64 worth buying if you already own U

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
Well I bought an n64 for killer instinct, and am wondering whether or not to get trilogy. I did a search and it seems to be a pretty bad version from what I read. I had trilogy for the ps1 and liked it for casual play, and the thought of playing it without load times seems pretty appealing added glitches or not. Plus it seems like I could get some fun out of abusing it.

What do you think? Anyone here who plays on live still bust out the n64 trilogy? Thing is it's kinda pricy for it's age even on ebay thanks to shipping to canada. (more than mk armageddon is new at the store). But man that n64 masked subzero looks nuts.
I'm no expert on this game, but there was a recent, serious tournament held for Trilogy N64 in South America. So it can't be that bad. There's a lot of bashing regarding the corner dk infinites that only a few characters can perform, but I don't think it's something you'd see often or at all in a competitive match. In the South American tournament, Sheeva, who has the easiest dk infinite by far, was picked four times and not once did the Sheeva player perform that infinite, as the opportunity never presented itself in any of the matches. It requires you to be at a precise distance from the corner for the pop up - infinite to even work. It's far from garaunteed, apparently. But the lack of the unmasked Sub Zero is a big minus. He was one of the least broken characters in the UMK3, and he's been totally replaced with a very broken super Sub-Zero. He can relaunch almost anybody for big damage and it's easy. Fortunately, he can't launch the female ninjas, making counter-charcter Jade immune to that infinite.

I have both trilogy for N64 and PSX. I haven't touched the N64 cartidge for a long, long time. Not worth it, even if, don't get it from ebay. Gamestop, EB, and Gamecrazy has this shit.

First of all thanks to mario for give mention to South American tourneys ^_^ Actually colombia and Venezuela are the only one who play this game and made tourneys with it...(well colombia love umk3 as well).
Mortal Kombat Trilogy for Nintendo 64 is not worth is a amazing version, no loading screens, no loading morph (shang tsung) no loading nothing, there are some things that some peoples don´t like but the game is great to play some casuals (even against the CPU, cus the gameplay against CPU is different from umk3) there are some infinities but if you play against a good tier will be difficult to do it (like sheeva´s infinite in the corner).. and the price for this game is not to expensive so is a good choice:) but it man;)

dreemernj

Ambassador
MKT in general is a broken game, so it's not really worth getting it for gameplay. If you are interested in just having fun playing around with all the added on characters and doing all the fatalities, it's probably worth picking up for a few bucks.

In that case I would really suggest the PSX version because then you get a bunch more characters and the gameplay, while still broken due to the added content, at least is the same engine as UMK3.

Mario: I mentioned Sheeva's D+HK infinite in the other thread as a way to illustrate a system wide problem in the game, that being the diminished recovery times. If you want to refer to things I've said, you can use my username or since you are taking this personally somehow, you can PM me about it. The veiled references are silly.

Mario

Noob
dreemernj said:
MKT in general is a broken game, so it's not really worth getting it for gameplay. If you are interested in just having fun playing around with all the added on characters and doing all the fatalities, it's probably worth picking up for a few bucks.

In that case I would really suggest the PSX version because then you get a bunch more characters and the gameplay, while still broken due to the added content, at least is the same engine as UMK3.

Mario: I mentioned Sheeva's D+HK infinite in the other thread as a way to illustrate a system wide problem in the game, that being the diminished recovery times. If you want to refer to things I've said, you can use my username or since you are taking this personally somehow, you can PM me about it. The veiled references are silly.
OMG, it was not only you I was referring to. This is a complaint I've heard many times from many different people. Chill.

Mario

Noob
rzp said:
First of all thanks to mario for give mention to South American tourneys ^_^ Actually colombia and Venezuela are the only one who play this game and made tourneys with it...(well colombia love umk3 as well).
Mortal Kombat Trilogy for Nintendo 64 is not worth is a amazing version, no loading screens, no loading morph (shang tsung) no loading nothing, there are some things that some peoples don´t like but the game is great to play some casuals (even against the CPU, cus the gameplay against CPU is different from umk3) there are some infinities but if you play against a good tier will be difficult to do it (like sheeva´s infinite in the corner).. and the price for this game is not to expensive so is a good choice:) but it man;)
Yeah, no loading times are a big bonus, as is the three-on-three matches, I would presume. I've only experienced it on emulator though. But recently I purchased it off amazon.com. I'll see how it controls with the N64 controller. But right now it will only be against the CPU. No one around here plays any MK (except the most recent 3D release).

so sad that just a few peoples like to play 2d games... the emu version is so fast i love to play it with the project 64 cust the game speed increase... i love it

Mario

Noob
rzp said:
so sad that just a few peoples like to play 2d games... the emu version is so fast i love to play it with the project 64 cust the game speed increase... i love it
I would love to play this version online, but my comp has trouble playing MK Trilogy on the previous Project 64 which had online capability. The latest Project 64 runs Trilogy almost perfectly, but has no online mode or hack...

Derek

Noob
Mr Wiggl3s said:
Triliogy is so much fun, its like UMK3 on steroids

Imma get a 64 just to play it
Why get a N64? You know damn well that their are other ways to play it without having the home console.

:twisted:

l SuGaR l said:
Mr Wiggl3s said:
Triliogy is so much fun, its like UMK3 on steroids

Imma get a 64 just to play it
Why get a N64? You know damn well that their are other ways to play it without having the home console.

:twisted:
Some people like myself enjoy sitting in their living room infront of a nice big hdtv, or have an ancient pc that can hardly run the internet. I dunno how ppl can sit infront of a pc to play fighting games. I did it with zbattle.net and it just isnt the same as sitting back on a couch or w/e. Just feels more old school chillaxin with some friends to me.

Mario

Noob
rzp said:
which version of project have online capability? sounds good but just to play against venezuelans:p
The one I have is listed as "Project64K_0_13". But Trilogy runs extremely slow on it, and that's on my 2.8 GHZ computer.

Anyway, after seeing those awesome matches from that South American tournament, I would really like to play this game competitively -- not just against the CPU. It looks like it would be even more fun than the coin-op. When the game arrives in the mail, I'm going to try to pull away some of my friends from their Halo 2's, DOA's etc, and see if I can convert them to Trilogy. Unlikely, buy I have to try.

uh, ok thanks, and about playing against your friend (or at least trying to do it) keep it up man, some peoples from a close city trip to my city just to play again ^^ they never play mkt and we help them with moves, fatality, kombos, everything (even with videos) and now they play hard...

rzp said:
Mr Wiggl3s said:
Emulators on PC are gay, and my Xbox cant handle the game
all xbox´s have the same trouble, the game can´t run propely:S any comment about why?
the reason is simple: midway has half-assed this console emulation once again. when will they get it right?

I fully advocate the use of MAME and the UMK3 ROMS on a very good computer. Yes, this would probably be considered software piracy, but oh well.

kombat_veteran said:
rzp said:
Mr Wiggl3s said:
Emulators on PC are gay, and my Xbox cant handle the game
all xbox´s have the same trouble, the game can´t run propely:S any comment about why?

I fully advocate the use of MAME and the UMK3 ROMS on a very good computer. Yes, this would probably be considered software piracy, but oh well.
Oh Darn

:roll:

After watching that mkt n64 tourny vid, i bought it. Mainly just to own it i guess since i got it for 14 bucks, and i want to experience that fast no load time action. If I regret it, I am sure I wont if my xbox ever gets 3 red lights of doom again since I will still be able to play MK while the box is out for repair.

RZP, how are the controlls on the N64? I don't have any n64 fighters yet and the Dpad feels pretty sensitive, probably because I am so used to the rough xbox dpad.

Mario

Noob
DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
After watching that mkt n64 tourny vid, i bought it. Mainly just to own it i guess since i got it for 14 bucks, and i want to experience that fast no load time action. If I regret it, I am sure I wont if my xbox ever gets 3 red lights of doom again since I will still be able to play MK while the box is out for repair.

RZP, how are the controlls on the N64? I don't have any n64 fighters yet and the Dpad feels pretty sensitive, probably because I am so used to the rough xbox dpad.
The d-pad I have for the original Nintendo brand controller is a little messed up. It's a little hard to jump forward in MK4 for example. I think it's just my controller though, and not a reflection of the Nintendo d-pad as a whole. I did have to buy a third party controller, and it's d-pad works perfectly, but the analog stick is terrible. Currectly, I'm looking for a cheap "arcade shark" controller. It's the only nintendo arcade stick that I'm aware of.

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
The six face buttons are an advantage that most controllers lacks, then again most controllers are meant for people with two hands...

DRAG0N_F0RCE said:
what you meant? explain please... sound like you want to know what it looks like a n64 controller :p please explain, better ^_^