What's new

MK (2011) Tips and Strategy

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Hey guys, I watched a thread get demolished and what I took from it was we really need to put our heads together with good ideas. Maybe we can put some substance together and generate some lists that can be made into guides.

Feel free to post anything you think is useful as far as specific character abilities, combos, unique occurrences, anything that might stand out and we can document it. Then we can try and ball it up to make it more professional, simple for most players to learn from our findings.

MK9 Tips and Strategy

If you are fast enough, with NW you can shoulder block a teleporting scorpion....when hes behind you. Did this twice online. Dude though i was cheating

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Skarlett Combos:

(anywhere) U+3, U+3 4, D-B 3 = 29% without EX
(in corner) U+3, D-F 1, U+3 4, D-F 1, JK, D-B 3 = 37% without EX

If you are looking for some good low pokes as Liu Kang, try this:

(anywhere) B+3 2 1, dash F+2 4, B-F 2 = 25% without EX
(anywhere) B+3 2 1, dash F+2 4, B B-F 4 = 29% without EX
(anywhere) B+3 2 1, dash F+2 4, X Ray without follow up= 38%

These are pretty good combos that beat the 12% from a throw, and they're also safe because if the opponent is in stand block it is a guaranteed combo...if they are duck block, just end at B+3 2 1 since you will have advantage. Mix these combos up with the BnB ones (2 1 3 and 1 2 B+1) and you will improve with Liu in no time.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

I've noticed that Johnny Cage has pretty much no useful low attacks. I believe he makes up for it with jab pressure, he probably has among the fasten broken combo chain in the game with 1 and 1 1 mixed with dash. 1% chip all over the place. This information can REALLY be expanded on, but I'm going to keep doing some testing first.

ninja edit: It's a damn shame that Johnny Cage's nut punch isn't a low attack, or can string together hits afterward.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Good work. I would like to add that it's essential to mix up that loop with a JP combo when in range. When you hit an opponent that's crouch blocking, the JP will connect because it's considered an overhead attack. Could result in a heavy combo, depending on the character. Even if they stand up and block you will get some decent chip damage, plus a reaction you can play off of as well.

On the subject of crouch blocking, I'm in the process of trying to find out which characters have good low attacks and overheads. These moves are absolutely CRITICAL. I truly feel this game will reach its potential when players are consistently countering crouch blocking with overheads and pulling off huge combos from low attacks on standing blockers.

Example:

Reptile (You) VS. Opponent

Usually when you're up close you will go for the juggle from 3 2 1 right? What if they are stand blocking? How about 3 2 B+4. Reptile does the drop kick, and unless the opponent suddenly duck blocks you are now on the ground where you can wakeup dash or crossup. You can also try 1 2 B+1 as it gets a little distance and you're both still standing.

Now check this out... You're still Reptile, but this time the opponent is crouch blocking. So this time you go for the other starter combo which is 1 2 2 fast FB. Why does that work? The second 2 in the combo is an overhead, so the combo connects.

MK9 Tips and Strategy

I tried to find a way to destroy Kano spammers and avoid his cannonballs because they are ridiculously annoying. Not sure if some of you have noticed (or if its a no brainier by now) but after dealing with Kano players, I figured out that you can low toe Kano when he does a straight/upward cannonball towards you and cancel out or avoid his attack.

What I used to do when I was clueless about Kano's cannonballs was stay crouched down. But, that didn't work. If you leave yourself open crouching down Kano's cannonball still hits you. If you block it, about 95% of the time a Kano player will just keep repeating the cannonball over and over until you let go of the block button and get hit. I hated that.. so the answer to this problem is to punish Kano every time he does a straight/upward cannonball with a low toe (when you see it keep pressing down + kick.) When YOU DO you can keep low toeing when he lands or immediately follow up with an uppercut (or a combo if you're a bad-ass.) Keep doing this and his game plan to keep you at a distance will fail and he'll immediately start coming up to you.

The only thing you are still vulnerable about Kano's onslaught is his shurikens and his other silly directional cannonballs. You can easily avoid his upward and straight cannonballs but Kano still has his downward cannonball. Which I seen been used on me when they get desperate to win. A normal jump may end up going down as a cannonball so its kinda tricky to block. You have to worry about all the directions Kano might spin to. Nonetheless still a good strategy? :/

For Kano's shurikens, well I noticed it has a large attack block range which is just ridicules for how small those things are. I think Nightwolf is a good candidate to destroy Kano. But, anyone can do the job. A low toe is a low toe. Avoid his cannonballs by low toeing, if using nightwolf reflect his shurikens and break him down. Hope I helped.

If anyone knows any more strategies to defeat a Kano spammer or just Kano in general, do add. I hate that sob esp that people use him only to cannonball happy his opponents. No combos and no technique, imo.

MK9 Tips and Strategy

Kano is a wonderful character, so long as you dont match up with a spammer lol and like stated thats almost always. @jesse89202 your best bet against a spamming Kano player is to bait, bait, bait. You want to expect the knife then ball combo and try to punish. Kano is my main and i am far from a spammer, i love mixing it with his low starters and overhead just to keep the player guessing, as for the Ball i usually only use Up ball on wake up or as a combo finisher - the Downwards Ball(in air) for people that spam projectiles. Although baiting also works on the advanced Kano player as well..Get in close and hit block right before the wakeup Up Ball and you will have a better chance to capitalize on him. Also advice if you see a Kano player with full Xray and seems to be chipping away at your block Get Out of there lol its used to push the player into reach for the Xray with minimal acceptance to jump outs. As far as a good character to take down Kano is Ermac, he can easily catch Kano in air with force push and is easy to catch into slams as well. Hope that helps you a bit

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
MK9 Tips and Strategy

i noticed when you are crouching and someone does a overhead against u it will hit u but if you let go of down during there combo before the overhead it will block it as if u were standing. might need to be tested more idk

MK9 Tips and Strategy

GoldenOreos said:
i noticed when you are crouching and someone does a overhead against u it will hit u but if you let go of down during there combo before the overhead it will block it as if u were standing. might need to be tested more idk
This is true i Have managed this aswell, same goes for if Standing block during a combo that ends in a low just press down while continuing to hold Block

===================================================================================================

:EDIT:

Something i noticed with baraka today and posting because im sure its not just with him, But I noticed while in practice mode I was in the corner and Did the combo : 2,2,1+2, <-+3,1 into Xray = 43% 10 hits. But if you do i in reverse order although a little tougher to connect the second string, does less damage but same amount of hits and same two combos : <-+3,1, 2,2,1+2 into Xray = 41% 10 hits.

So is that a Priority thing or what?

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Goblin Bones said:
This is true i Have managed this aswell, same goes for if Standing block during a combo that ends in a low just press down while continuing to hold Block

===================================================================================================

:EDIT:

Something i noticed with baraka today and posting because im sure its not just with him, But I noticed while in practice mode I was in the corner and Did the combo : 2,2,1+2, <-+3,1 into Xray = 43% 10 hits. But if you do i in reverse order although a little tougher to connect the second string, does less damage but same amount of hits and same two combos : <-+3,1, 2,2,1+2 into Xray = 41% 10 hits.

So is that a Priority thing or what?
The damage is probably scaled because it's in a different order. I noticed something like this too when I was messing around with Sonya. I would mix up the order between B+2 1 F+2, SUJP, Military Stance B+2, and different juggle endings... they would all have mixed results. Some were only 34% for the same combo in a different order.

And yes, I'm talking about the exact same combo in different sequences.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Sheevas Stomp (D U) can be altered to either in front or behind the opponent. Just do the normal input, then before she appears on screen again you can push either B or F to go where you want. This is pretty useful for mind games and to transport behind someone spamming slow projectiles. I don't know if it's guaranteed to work if you go behind and combo for more damage or if you should just do the stomp directly on the opponent. Maybe a little more testing is needed. Cool find nonetheless. (haven't seen it anywhere else)

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
MK9 Tips and Strategy

question for you guys that have played this a little more than myself...

i use ermac mainly...little kung lao here and there. having trouble against people that use kang and do that damn punch-punch-kick combo over....and fucking over again. i can't jump away from it because the first hit bounces me out of the air. i can't consistently get a TKS or spin(kung) in between breaks in the combo either. shit is so annoying.

any suggestions??

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Kensidj said:

i use ermac mainly...little kung lao here and there. having trouble against people that use kang and do that damn punch-punch-kick combo over....and fucking over again. i can't jump away from it because the first hit bounces me out of the air. i can't consistently get a TKS or spin(kung) in between breaks in the combo either. shit is so annoying.

any suggestions??
Against Liu I would recommend blocking in stance instead of ducking. A lot of players will start those chains with the overhead popup (2 1 3) and the kick is an overhead, which means it will hit you and pop you up if you are crouch blocking. The only way around that is if they try to throw, sweep, or do a low poke into a combo. But if you block in stance and they cycle through the combo, you should be able to get something in between their cooling frames?

MK9 Tips and Strategy

Kensidj said:

any suggestions??
As Dreamcatcher suggested, try blocking standing up (back + block.) That way you block lius repeating chain combo. I believe he was a 2- 1- 3. So after you block either sweep and follow with anything you feel is right. Most likely Liu will either block which you can then grab or liu will throw a low fireball to keep you away. I suggest you just jump away and bait. Figure out his reactions. A good liu that pressures loves to close in to do those chain combos. Its an easy win for them. Kesi, you are very good at baiting. I know cause I fought you in MK2. Play mind games with a good liu. Bait and punish. Since liu is good at close ups I suggest you develop a good defensive game with liu and keep your distance when you can. If you bait him good, block his 2-1-3 combos and counter.

I know liu will just get you at some point of the game so if you get caught just block-block-block. The last resort is to break the combo using EXs. Forget x-rays and break them using these ex meters. Remember, a good liu will always try to close in with you as soon as the fight begins. If he starts fireball spamming out of frustration you know you have broken him. I know, they done this to me, LOL. But, you're still in risk of him coming in with those punch-punch- kick combos so keep your cool.

This is a no brainer too, but if you manage to land on the floor after lius combos master your wake-up calls. Obviously, it won't work if you're still being tossed around in the air but if you land- WAKE UP! With Kung Lao, push him back with a spin. For Ermac, use your gravity toss and throw him across the screen. To do a wake up you have to be pressured or if you're caught in a loop. Then keep pressing your characters special move like spin, gravity toss etc. Anything that will break the loop. ;)

Any break up you have a chance with liu punish him back with your own set of combos. I know kung lao has a good defensive game with insane combos.

Good luck, easier said than done. But, hope that helped ya.

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
MK9 Tips and Strategy

I appreciate the info guys! This dude kept beating me and I was getting so annoyed because I've beaten much better players! All he kept doing was that damn combo over and over again...button mashing. He'd catch me in a block trap every time, or he'd knock me down and continue to do the combo over top of me. I'd try a wake up TKS or push and it wouldn't come out fast enough and he'd continue to combo me! If any of you have played me in mk2, you know it's not my timing! I'd try a TKS or spin in kung's case in between the 3rd hit in the combo string and it wouldn't come out in time before he could start the combo again.

Maybe the timing is just that meticulous...and I'm missing something. Still trying to understand the mechanics of this game. I'm no scrub by any means...I mean I win hella more than I lose.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
MK9 Tips and Strategy

If I play against a non-teleporter, I fireball spam like a mofo when I use Kang. IAF is a lot easier for me in this game because you don't have to double tap the same direction twice.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Yeah Liu is in a pain in the ass. After playing Juggernaut I realized the best way to learn how to beat him was develop one, so I did. Now it's cake for me as long as I'm not jailed with a shitty connection.

By the way Jesse, there's no benefit from holding back when you block. You break throws with FP upon contact.

http://classicmk.com/index.php?topic=1936.0

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

ZAQ said:
It's actually less than not beneficial to hold back+block because some of the specials in this game are lightning fast and can make you waste a breaker if you aren't careful. And it is A HARD HABIT TO BREAK. Probably one of the hardest habits for me to break as a 2D player in this game imo.
Absolutely true. The only way I learned to break the habit was about a week in when I realized how much meter I was wasting.

MK9 Tips and Strategy

Well it depends if you want to do a breaker or not. When you don't have 2 meters full I usually just hold back block. When I do have 2 meters I do the opposite. @Dreamcatcher thanks for pointing that out. But it is a hard habit to break as you said.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

So far from what I've tested, Johnny Cage and Sonya seem to have the "best" jabs in the game. I am defining "best" as being the quickest jabs that provide *almost* seamless chaining into combos, sweeps, and throws. This also means their close pressure game is among the best because of the effectiveness of their jabs.

The unfortunate part about this is Sonya's heavy hitter BnB is pretty slow startup and recovery. (B+2 1 F+2) The good news is Johnny Cage has a ton of mixups he can use as a lot of his normals are safe... and I will post a follow up on this showing Cage's options. Sonya will require much more testing, she is a character than can be very very good in the right hands, but not easy for anyone to pick up. She seems to take a lot of effort to get to that higher level you need to be to fight the Raidens and Kitanas.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

Cage rushdown: His jabs (FP) have very quick startup and recovery. They are very safe when used correctly. The jabs shouldn't be abused mindlessly, but placed to put you in an advantageous situation. BP may do more damage but is slower and can't be doubled the same way 11 can. So here's a small breakdown of how Cage's jabs can be used effectively, and also good basic mixups that complement them.

- You can use the jabs either in single or double fashion. If you use single (FP) in proper rhythm, THERE WILL BE NO PUSHBACK. If you use double (FPFP), there WILL be pushback. If you look closely at Cage's feet when you push FP, he takes a small step towards the opponent each time. When you do a double jab, he still only takes that one small step... which means when the first jab hits, the second one will push the opponent away. This isn't very important but it's good to know how it works.

- Cage has a good variety to throw in with his jabs. First there is the obvious, throwing, but this will end the rushdown for 12%. Up close you can do random Flip Kicks, which blocked midscreen will quickly put you directly behind the opponent. Try some sweeps here and there, since Cage doesn't have a single good low attack. (too bad the Nut Punch isn't one) You can also throw in the 21 combo and capitalize on an unblocking opponent with the launcher at the end. (2 1 F+2)

- Each unblocked jab is 3%, blocked is 1% chip damage. If you fear you are about to be countered out of your rush, there are a few ways to successfully end it. You can try to finish your jabs into a combo by catching with a 11 Flip Kick or Nut Punch... you can follow up after a connecting Nut Punch with more jabs. The uppercut is a great way to end rushdown because when it's blocked, you will be put you outside sweep distance and within reach of a Shadow Kick. You can counter a wakeup this way or all breakable projectiles with an EX shadow kick. Again, the throw will definitely end the rushdown unless you have the opponent cornered.

- If Cage has the opponent backed into a corner and they are blocking, with a single jab in proper rhythm there is NO PUSHBACK. If you fail to keep rhythm or do more than one jab, you will experience minor pushback. This doesn't seem to be infinite lockdown, but it's a very small window in between for an opponent to counter. I would suggest abusing this tactic in the corner after a landed Nut Punch because the opponent recovers into normal frames after this and really has no option other than to block or a very quick wakeup attack.

- Another great use of Cage's jabs are anti air. If you are rushing and your opponent tries to jump out or do an airborne wakeup move, there is a chance that your jabs will connect and suspend the opponent in midair. From there you have a wide open juggling opportunity. I would have to say that Cage's uppercut is too good to not use as your normal anti air, but this is still another great perk to using jabs in rushdown.
-----
Sonya can start a combo from her Dive Kick (D+4) but for some reason can't initiate any combo with a directional input. This means she can't do Mess Hall (B+2 1 F+2) into some good damage juggles. She will have to resort to 1 1 4 Cartwheel, dash 1 1 Leg Grab = 28%. This is a great tactic for her since the Dive Kick is usually pretty safe against characters without very fast normals or wakeups. This only works if you "clip" the opponent with the dive kick and it doesn't knock them down, which means you should angle a little in front of or behind the opponent. So as far as up close pressure game, Sonya is really good. You can chip away with some single jabs and mix it up with throws, jumping into quick dive kick combos, or finishing the combo 1 1 4 into a Cartwheel for a juggle opportunity. Mess Hall is her best combo because it can easily lead to 37+% damage but it has slow startup and recovery, so I wouldn't recommend trying to use it in rushdown and probably only when it's safe, like as a punisher.
-----
Quan Chi's Teleport Stomp can go in front or behind the opponent like Sheeva's can. Hold either back or forward immediately after the move's input (D B+3) for the desired effect. Great way to transport yourself or clip an opponent out of midair. note: If the opponent happens to guess correctly and move frontward or backward, they can block and punish. Use sparingly at your own risk for transporting.
-----
I'm still working on how overheads are limited in combos. Damage is of course the most important part of combos, but for some reason damage AND the amount of overheads seem to have an effect on how many overheads you can have in one combo. I haven't been able to find this out anywhere and I keep testing different characters, damage and overhead amounts that give a lot of strange results.

edit: I added a few touch ups and color to help separate the paragraphs. This thing has turned into some kind of MK blog for me. lol

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
MK9 Tips and Strategy

I would also like to add that another reason why you shouldn't use BP for jabs with Cage is because they will turn into a terrible combo when you dash.

On another note, if you are looking to jump in and you unexpectedly knock the opponent out of the air with a punch... you get a free Shadow Kick when you land.