What's new

Tech - Cryomancer Misc. Lab Notes - Armor Shredding, Safe Jump Tests, MU Gimmicks

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
In an effort to save time, I've organized some recent findings and listed them all below. The info is pretty raw, so much of the application is on the reader, but you should be pointed in the right direction.

Safe Jump Strats-
Hammer HKD > safe jip (midscreen)/ safe njp (corner) is NOT safe vs. 11f armored wake ups or faster- ex. Jax, Kung Lao, Reptile, etc. Empty jump in, forward dash or whiff slide are better options in these cases.

Cryomancer Armor Shredding-
Combos into hammer HKD > safe jip > 1 armor shred - Success @ 19f

Works well vs:
  • D'Vorah
  • Predator
  • Quan Chi
  • Tremor
These characters armored wake ups are completely shut down by using this set up. This set up can be applied elsewhere in different MU's, but it's practicality ends with these 4. On hit, 111 xx ice ball confirm leads to meterless damage. As the meta progresses, the opponent will stop challenging your safe jump pressure and either block, or delay their wake up. On block, 111 is safe. Stand 1 is very fast and 0 on block. Mix in with 1 > tick throw, 1 xx hammer, 12 xx hammer, 114, 11 xx hammer, etc. On delayed wake up, pressure the opponent normally. Corner set up of hammer HKD > safe njp does not work similarly as njp colliding with armor will not grant a blockstring.

No Variation Armor Shredding-
HKD > run 11 armor shred - Success @ 17~18f

Works well vs:
  • Kotal (War God Overhead Sword Smash)
  • Tanya (Pyro Devils Dust)
  • Erron Black (Outlaw Slide Shots/ Dust Storm)
Situational armor shredding strategies. The 17f specials (OH Sword Smash, Slide Shots) can be consistent with practice, although timing seems near frame perfect. The 18f specials (Devils Dst, Dust Storm) are consistently beaten by 11 and much easier to perform. The obvious issue is the fact that the characters using these moves have different options. Take note of an opponents preferred option and act accordingly, at least knowing these are possible.

MU Specific Armor Shred vs. Takeda (Shirai Ryu)
Hammer HKD > safe jip > b12
HKD > b33

Takeda tends to low profile 11 with Shirai Ryu Phase and back step 11 with fist whirlwind. SZ must adjust slightly to make armor shredding successful in this MU. If b33 does shred armor, you can confirm to normal ice ball and it will properly combo into a meterless freeze.

Other quirks found when trying to apply set ups to the rest of the kast:
- Ice hammer is completely throw immune. Very odd non-interaction, possible application in Commando Kano MU, etc.

- Ermac/ Scorpion gimmick: hammer HKD > empty jump forward (baiting ex teleport) jump back > whiff punish teleport. Works similarly on both characters. Useful in no chip scenarios. Possible to simply jump back on opponents wake up when making a read. Vs Takeda, replace "jump back" with "NJP" to punish.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I can upload something if you'd like to see it. What are you curious about @Zeero

Updated OP with video

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Good stuff, specially the teleport ones, I used to jump in place when trying to react to teleports, but with your method you can still try a regular combo in case they don't teleport while also being able to punish it. Edit: Testing against Scorpion, the ex one will hit you if you try to JIP instead of naked punch, so be careful if he doesn't teleport and tries a different wakeup.

Edit2: He seems to change the direction of the fire kick on the Ex teleport if you try to punch him during your backwards jump, so better if you just land on your feet and use B2. NJP also works well and safe against this one instead of the backwards jump.

Edit3: Running, then cancelling by pressing down, then NJP punishes the flameport after a slide. In this case the jump forward, jump backward move won't be effective but this combination does the trick. I think the run cancel into down, njp could be useful in some more scenarios.

Some of the armor shredings look a bit tight, the kind of stuff you would try offline but online would get you eating full combo salad because of those frames we loose, but against the slower characters it should give them a bad time.

Last edited:

InFlames

dead
How did I miss this great thread? Really good info, I didn't know raw b33 beat Shirai Ryu's wake-ups. I've tried j2, b12 but if they backdash you end up getting a raw s2 after the jump in and that's super negative on whiff.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
There's nothing I hate more about SZ than getting a raw s2. Opponent might as well time you out if they see you whiff one.

There are probably a lot of inconsistencies in this post beyond the first fewpoints. I think the 11 shred attempt ends up negative if the opponent does a short delay wake up. Not sure, it just seems that way. It just hasn't been tested in real matches.

Last edited: