What's new

Question - Mileena Mileena's F3, How Fast Should It Be?

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
So maybe I'm missing something or am upplaying like crazy but I just want to talk about Mileena's infamous overhead.

Now we all know its horrendously slow and every Mileena player says it should be faster. What I've found is the more I've explored the overhead I guess the more "fair" it seems due to the damage output. The fact that when it hits midscreen you can get 43% meterless is pretty good, especially since most if not the entire cast would need a bar to get close to that midscreen.

I do believe the damage output is probably the trade off for such a slow move but as mentioned before many has said it needs to be faster. So my question to the members of the Mileena Movement is how fast would you make her overhead?

if you make it fast enough to give her a 50/50 it might be too powerful where she can get 43% on overhead and 32% on low midscreen, let alone 50% in the corner for one bar, so a damage nerf might have to be considered.

Maybe I'm upplaying, maybe giving her a fast overhead is justice for all the struggles she has elsewhere, in which case feel free to tell me to shut up :D. I'm just curious to hear what others think about this as it's been talked about a lot, but no real suggestion/acceptable resolution.

TheGabStandard

I actually think this character would fair better with a faster F4 instead of a faster F3. But I don't support nerfs/buffs so I'm good.
I am the same mindset in terms of make do with what you have and not a great fan of nerfs/buffs. I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks as its mentioned a lot. By the way am I right in assuming the Ravenous Guide will be getting live updates soon?

Sasuga

Noob
I'd make it just fast enough to be able to connect it after a jip or maybe slightly slower so the opponent can poke you out after a jump in punch. Remove some of the forward movement so you can no longer land it from jump range. So basically, it becomes her overhead from MK9 but you have to commit to the string if you want to utilize the damage potential. If the opponent blocks it, you are not as safe as her old overhead opener.

But currently I'm fine with her. The telekick and x-ray buffs are already very good.

I actually think this character would fair better with a faster F4 instead of a faster F3. But I don't support nerfs/buffs so I'm good.
I am the same mindset in terms of make do with what you have and not a great fan of nerfs/buffs.
This takes me back, man... I used to be that guy too. It's just rough at times when you're exposed to seeing how much easier it is for people to rack up wins with better tools, or similar tools that have advantages that yours, for some reason, don't. Tough to put up with that for years, across different games, in this age where patches are available.

However, I do support fully testing things and looking at the bigger picture of how the game seems to be evolving before making such suggestions. And sure, It seems like the cool kid thing for people to shout "level up", or "quit whining" etc, but more often than not, that stuff is nothing more than "Like" bait. No game is perfect, and especially not the first attempt.
/End rant.

As for F3, I agree with @theGabStandard on the speed/reward part. I don't have a big issue with this move as is, and I really don't think it's that easy to interrupt. If they did increase the speed in exchange for damage nerf though... I think I'd be ok with it. Even at 30% or 35% you're still killing in 3 combos. And making it faster would create more opportunities for those combos.

TheGabStandard

This takes me back, man... I used to be that guy too. It's just rough at times when you're exposed to seeing how much easier it is for people to rack up wins with better tools, or similar tools that have advantages that yours, for some reason, don't. Tough to put up with that for years, across different games, in this age where patches are available.

However, I do support fully testing things and looking at the bigger picture of how the game seems to be evolving before making such suggestions. And sure, It seems like the cool kid thing for people to shout "level up", or "quit whining" etc, but more often than not, that stuff is nothing more than "Like" bait. No game is perfect, and especially not the first attempt.
/End rant.

As for F3, I agree with @theGabStandard on the speed/reward part. I don't have a big issue with this move as is, and I really don't think it's that easy to interrupt. If they did increase the speed in exchange for damage nerf though... I think I'd be ok with it. Even at 30% or 35% you're still killing in 3 combos. And making it faster would create more opportunities for those combos.
I support your rant :) and it is difficult dealing with those disadvantages. Part of the struggle with playing a favourite character.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
What she really needs is another overhead. IMO it should be a hard knockdown (no chance of combo) at 7~10% damage, startup of 13~18 frames, -10 on block.

This would solve her most crippling weakness without making her OP. IMO

IMO

IMO

Plop

Noob
It's not as bad as people make out. I mainly say that just because of its range. It can come out of nowhere sometimes and just catch you off guard. It's very situational.
It reminds me a bit of Kano's overhead in MK9. It was Hella slow, but had good range. One of the most situational overheads in the game, but every now and again, it got the job done.
Mileena's is slightly better (though it might be slightly slower, I'm not sure) purely because of the damage it nets if it connects. Kano's was safe though.

It's not as bad as people make out. I mainly say that just because of its range. It can come out of nowhere sometimes and just catch you off guard. It's very situational.
It reminds me a bit of Kano's overhead in MK9. It was Hella slow, but had good range. One of the most situational overheads in the game, but every now and again, it got the job done.
Mileena's is slightly better (though it might be slightly slower, I'm not sure) purely because of the damage it nets if it connects. Kano's was safe though.
I agree, and Mileena's is safe (0) on block too. My best argument for actually making it faster would be to act as a hard read on a backdash, or whiff punishing a whiffed low poke properly. Maybe if it got off the ground sooner?

lol, her standing 3 looks like it should've been an overhead. And it fits all the things in your list pretty much.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
my dream buff for mileena is for her f2 to be an overhead but if f3 hit after a jump punch id be fine.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
What she really needs is another overhead. IMO it should be a hard knockdown (no chance of combo) at 7~10% damage, startup of 13~18 frames, -10 on block.

This would solve her most crippling weakness without making her OP. IMO

IMO

IMO
Mileena is nowhere near OP and what you subjected is just stupid. Mileena already has a overhead that has hard knockdown which is 21U4 and it's -5 on block meaning it's safe.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
F3 should be 16 or 17 frame start-up. I personally would rather have F1 changed from double mid attack to a overhead and mid attack.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Whats the point of a damaging overhead if you cant land it? good players wont fall for it and it doesnt even connect from jip..

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Mileena is nowhere near OP and what you subjected is just stupid. Mileena already has a overhead that has hard knockdown which is 21U4 and it's -5 on block meaning it's safe.
1). Did you notice I wrote IMO?

2). The point of my suggestion was to have an overhead that can't simply be blocked on reaction. Having an overhead from a string is useless for that purpose because they can see it coming.

3). I didn't say she was OP. We were talking about possible buffs.

4). No need to be an asshole.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
1). Did you notice I wrote IMO?

2). The point of my suggestion was to have an overhead that can't simply be blocked on reaction. Having an overhead from a string is useless for that purpose because they can see it coming.

3). I didn't say she was OP. We were talking about possible buffs.

4). No need to be an asshole.
I'm not begin an asshole but if you want to take it that way be my guest.