What's new

Strategy - Mileena Mileena Mix Up/Set Up Strategy

With the talk of Mileena's f3 overhead being way to slow, and me being a complete noob, I wanted to create a thread where people could post their Mix Ups and Set Ups as well as Get In techniques. I won't call this an official thread because well, I am a total noob but I will edit this post to include those you post here.

Note, this is NOT a combo thread(tho you can post one if you like as long as you explain the set up/mix up/get in technique/strategy). This is a strategy thread to get into those nice looking combos as well as any match-up specific strategies.

All variations are welcome.

Formatting note: { represents an individual user's tips/strategy
General Strategy:
{
Playing Mind games with their wake up game

Standing 3 is a quick 2 hit attack which can be used to bait armored attacks
You can also naked EX roll if you expect an armored wakeup, and ex roll is 2 hits, so you usually for the most part will win in most situations.

end a combo in ex normal grab, and follow up with more mixups

I realized, you have to play risky with mileena, the thing is, she is an upgrade from MK9. Up close, don't be scared to mixup

do not be scared to use EX roll to break out of pressure as well.

Also, end combos (piercing, everyone should be using this variation for the most part)

in b21 2+4, this allows you to play your mind games with their wakeup

End combos in b12 1+2 dd2 to eliminate their wake up game, and keep a good distance to zone and build meter.(OrigPoster note: he initially put b13 1+3 but that was a typo I assume since it's not a string. b12 1+2 is a string)

{
In Piercing you can pepper them with low sai's until they block low on reaction, and then hit them with F3.

Doesn't really work with online scrubs, they just uppercut on reaction and that blows Mileena's F3 up.

{
As for setups, mr. Mileena pretty much covered it. You need to condition low blocking and respect of your tools to be able to use the f3 starter. Ex throw is good, or a knocked down opponent with no meter.

Because f3 can be hit by anything in pretty much any other situation, you need meter to make anything significant hit overhead. Be careful about commiting to unsafe strings because a decent opponent will just block you low all the time and just stand up when you flash, so you're pretty toast. Mileenas mixup isnt anywhere close to as good as people are pretending. With the limited time ive had with this game so far, f3 is a normal that i definitely think deserves to be plus on block.

Blocking Low or High:
{
f344 to switch to a low, very dangerous because mileena can combo off the low. Slow starter, so don't expect to land this a lot. If mileena lands her f3 on you, you are in an extremely dangerous situation.
(OrigPoster note: f3 is overhead so it punishes low block and the addtional 4 at the end is a low so it will punish high blocks.)

{
Blocking High:
{
Her Strongest
2,1, U4 = safest mixup

2,1 is a high into a low
you can do 2,1 ex roll
or 2 ex roll if they expect you to follow with a low attack, or if the low hits, just hit confirm the roll, or just follow up with the safe string
You can also stick in a low sai after 2,1 if they expect the overhead after. Low sais should be used in these situations sparingly as it's not really worth the risk.

f44
f4 ex roll

f12b4
You can do f12 ex roll or f12b4 ex roll sometimes, then you can stop at f12b4 and go for another string if they are conditioned to expect an ex roll after your low attack.

b21
the 1 is a low, so again, you can do b1 ex roll, or follow up with b12, and just hit confirm if the low hits.

On knockdown, f44, f4 ex roll, 21, or bait a wake up with b12 (amazing reach)
{
Blocking Low:
{
f3
slow, but I love running at them and using this at max distance to whiff punish their poke or normal. Most people like to poke at you or try and hit you out of run upclose, f3 hops over most pokes, and it'sslowness actually works to mileenas advantage used like this.

f34 ex roll

Anti Air:
{
Roll is only SEVEN frames, making it an AWESOME anti air

Match Ups:
{
SUB ZERO
Alright guys I have some Ethereal Mileena tech/set up. This is just specifically to Sub-zero and that IGAU Frost-tier slide he has in MKX

So I've noticed a lot of sub-zero...err let me rephrase that... SCRUB-zero players like to wake up with his icy slide move. I get why, it's fast, comes out in 8 frames and has good armour on the EX version of it. I find myself having to anticipate it a lot by holding down-block. Leaves you looking pretty stupid. I find it fairly hard to punish or block and reaction. So I was tinkering with Ethereal Mileena's Fade. While she is in her fade set up, (you must be holding the button down to stay in the fade), she is invulnerable to any attack. So with Subby, if you think your opponent is going to wake up with icy slide, you have a couple of options here. So let's say you've knocked him down with her standing 3 overhead...

1. Fade, which leaves mileena in the same spot and causes Sub-zero to slide way past her, putting distance between you and and him. This allows you to control the space between you and him very easily.

2. You can fade away, and he ends up right behind you, close enough for you to check him with a D3, or 21, or grab him.

I've tested this wake-up set up with other characters (like Kano) and it blows up his wake ups as well.

Kung Jin
{
Against kung jin's bojutsu. Do NOT TRY to anti air a jump in with a roll! You will get hit. Always.

Anti air his jumps with b3 tk air sai, f23 roll,b212+4 or you are in for a world of pain.

Last edited:
Ex roll is obviously what helps here.

Her Strongest
2,1, U4 = safest mixup

2,1 is a high into a low
you can do 2,1 ex roll
or 2 ex roll if they expect you to follow with a low attack, or if the low hits, just hit confirm the roll, or just follow up with the safe string
You can also stick in a low sai after 2,1 if they expect the overhead after. Low sais should be used in these situations sparingly as it's not really worth the risk.

f44
f4 ex roll

f12b4
You can do f12 ex roll or f12b4 ex roll sometimes, then you can stop at f12b4 and go for another string if they are conditioned to expect an ex roll after your low attack.

b21
the 1 is a low, so again, you can do b1 ex roll, or follow up with b12, and just hit confirm if the low hits.

f3
slow, but I love running at them and using this at max distance to whiff punish their poke or normal. Most people like to poke at you or try and hit you out of run upclose, f3 hops over most pokes, and it'sslowness actually works to mileenas advantage used like this.

f34 ex roll, or f344 to switch to a low, very dangerous because mileena can combo off the low. Slow starter, so don't expect to land this a lot. If mileena lands her f3 on you, you are in an extremely dangerous situation

Playind Mind games with their wake up game

You can also naked EX roll if you expect an armored wakeup, and ex roll is 2 hits, so you usually for the most part will win in most situtations.

on knockdown, f44, f4 ex roll, 21, or bait a wake up with b12 (amazing reach)

I realized, you have to play risky with mileena, the thing is, she is an upgrade from MK9. Up close, don't be scared to mixup

Also, roll is only SEVEN frames, making it an AWESOME anti air

Also, end combos (piercing, everyone should be using this variation for the most part)

End combos in b13 1+2 dd2 to eliminate their wake up game, and keep a good distance to zone and build meter.

Last edited:

JaeTea

Noob
I'm still trying to find something similar to her U4 overhead in MK9.

Also her D3 and D4 in MK9 was the best way to get out of pressure. Any suggestions what to use for that?

D

Deleted member 9158

In Piercing you can pepper them with low sai's until they block low on reaction, and then hit them with F3.

Doesn't really work with online scrubs, they just uppercut on reaction and that blows Mileena's F3 up.

I'm still trying to find something similar to her U4 overhead in MK9.

Also her D3 and D4 in MK9 was the best way to get out of pressure. Any suggestions what to use for that?
I miss U4 so bad...

PerezzGomeZ

I saw your girl staring homie
Ex roll is obviously what helps here.

Her Strongest
2,1, U4 = safest mixup

2,1 is a high into a low
you can do 2,1 ex roll

f44
f4 ex roll

f12b4

b12
the 2 is a low, so again, you can do b1 ex roll, or follow up with b12, and just hit confirm if the low hits.

f3

f34 ex roll, or f344 to switch to a low, very dangerous because mileena can combo off the low. Slow starter, so don't expect to land this a lot. If mileena lands her f3 on you, you are in an extremely dangerous situation

Playind Mind games with their wake up game

You can also naked EX roll if you expect an armored wakeup, and ex roll is 2 hits, so your usually for the most part will win in most situtations.

on knockdown, f44, f4 ex roll, 21, or bait a wake up with b12 (amazing reach)

Also, roll is only SEVEN frames, making it an AWESOME anti air

End combos in b12 1+2 dd2 to eliminate their wake up game, and keep a good distance to zone and build meter.
This is awesome,good shit man

Good stuff guys. I discovered b21 while learning another combo that started with JiP 123 . I wanted something that would punish high or low block and JiP b21... was it. JiP hits overhead(most of the time) and the 1 hits low

D

Deleted member 9158

Alright guys I have some Ethereal Mileena tech/set up. This is just specifically to Sub-zero and that IGAU Frost-tier slide he has in MKX

So I've noticed a lot of sub-zero...err let me rephrase that... SCRUB-zero players like to wake up with his icy slide move. I get why, it's fast, comes out in 8 frames and has good armour on the EX version of it. I find myself having to anticipate it a lot by holding down-block. Leaves you looking pretty stupid. I find it fairly hard to punish or block and reaction. So I was tinkering with Ethereal Mileena's Fade. While she is in her fade set up, (you must be holding the button down to stay in the fade), she is invulnerable to any attack. So with Subby, if you think your opponent is going to wake up with icy slide, you have a couple of options here. So let's say you've knocked him down with her standing 3 overhead...

1. Fade, which leaves mileena in the same spot and causes Sub-zero to slide way past her, putting distance between you and and him. This allows you to control the space between you and him very easily.

2. You can fade away, and he ends up right behind you, close enough for you to check him with a D3, or 21, or grab him.

I've tested this wake-up set up with other characters (like Kano) and it blows up his wake ups as well.

I apologize for a lack of video to show it, but I hope I've been clear enough.

I think this variation has GREAT potential to punish people on whiff and over-zealous wake ups in this game.

Any thoughts?

Also, sorry if someone already posted something similar to this :)

EDIT: You can also Fade towards, and you end up at full screen if he wakes up with icy slide.

EDIT #2: This just keeps getting better actually! 21U4 is a hard knockdown, giving you 30 frames on hit. This allows you to fade forward to get behind them for a quasi-cross up of sorts.

EDIT #3: It has come to my attention that you can be grabbed while in the fade set up. This isn't really a big deal, but it is something to consider

Last edited by a moderator:
Tested ending combos in EX grab and if you do her F3 overhead its so slow they can do armored moves and some characters can uppercut her out of it. Not sure how + ex grabs are in this game. Might not even be worth the meter.

Sami

Noob
Personally I'm leaving f3 out of my gameplay plans for now - it might have good range and hits overhead but it's soooooooooooo slow. I need to practice a lot more with the move to get used to baiting pokes with it but for now I have too many other things with Mileena that need work too :D

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Personally I'm leaving f3 out of my gameplay plans for now - it might have good range and hits overhead but it's soooooooooooo slow. I need to practice a lot more with the move to get used to baiting pokes with it but for now I have too many other things with Mileena that need work too :D
That's probably the best way. I'm more or less using F3 maybe once a match since it can catch people out when forgotten about.

Matchup info:

Against kung jin's bojutsu. Do NOT TRY to anti air a jump in with a roll! You will get hit. Always.

Anti air his jumps with b3 tk air sai, f23 roll,b212+4 or you are in for a world of pain.

As for setups, mr. Mileena pretty much covered it. You need to condition low blocking and respect of your tools to be able to use the f3 starter. Ex throw is good, or a knocked down opponent with no meter.

Because f3 can be hit by anything in pretty much any other situation, you need meter to make anything significant hit overhead. Be careful about commiting to unsafe strings because a decent opponent will just block you low all the time and just stand up when you flash, so you're pretty fucked. Mileenas mixup isnt anywhere close to as good as people are pretending. With the limited time ive had with this game so far, f3 is a normal that i definitely think deserves to be plus on block.

Other matchups. Dont combo into ex telekick against goro or whatever the human scorpion is. It will wiff on hit and you get full punished for actually opening someone up. F12b4 also wiffs against human scorpion and you can be hit out of the string.

Last edited:

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Granted I haven't tested how well it works yet but standing 123 is also quite fast... and the last two hits are mid

I am splitting time between Mileena and *gasp* Kitanna, as well as Scorp and eventually Kenshi so I will continue to monitor this thread and update the initial post once ever 1-3 days to serve as a guide. FYI, I will be creating this same type thread on those character's forums as well if it lacks it, but it will be a few days(maybe more) since I am best with Mileena and Scorp and want to wait until I have something worthwhile to add.

So I have figured out a few situations in which F3 is actually fast enough to use after/ if you end short combos (you can still get almost 30%) with JIK or NJK the knockdown is hard and right in f3 range with enough advantage to throw it out. if you do f344 the low will hit meaty on delayed like lay downs or whatever. Not the best against armored but worth it if you are paying attention to their meter.

Also if you land a hard knockdown in the corner and f34 the f3 will whiff and reverse wakeups and the 4 still hits! Might make a video of this tomorrow, found it today.

f12 seems to break armor on wakeup also f12b4 on hit after sometimes I will throw out f3.. if they are respecting me.

Also hi @Mr. Mileena it's kbjohnson from psn.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
What works somewhat well for me (I'm far from an expert!) is if you can land a f44 on them, it sets up a perfect distance to move forward and pressure them with a f344 starter to get your combo going. It has been my best opener so far, until someone finally figures out the block sequence, then you have to start trying to trick them. Usually I will just pretend I'm going to start a combo, but only do one or two hits then grab them with a throw while they're still blocking and waiting for the rest (since they weren't expecting to be able to punish so soon).

I'm really loving Mileena so far, except that she has slow normal (or at least the ones I try using). If a fast character is keeping pressure on me, I have almost no way to get out of it other than EX Roll. It seems like her fastest crouched attack is her uppercut, but that still seems to get beat out by almost everything. And the ball roll gets blocked too often because it's an expected wake-up... So I just don' t know what to do when I get overwhelmed or cornered. Any suggestions? I pretty much always use Piercing variation, btw. I love the combos it comes with, and the low sai.

Last edited:

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Here we go again :DOGE

But anyway , the best thing for set-up ive found (even not using etheral) , purposly just roll under the air born player, after that mix ups are life cause wake ups arnt invincible anymore :) :) :) .

Noob
not to disagree that piercing is probably the most practical variation (low sai, even though its -8 on hit, is still a low projectile that ducks under high projectiles, and b1 2 is still a great footsie tool), but ravenous ups your mixup potential slightly. i'm sure another post has mentioned this but if you abuse d3 (which is only -1) you can start cancelling it into low pounce. you can do the same with d4 but it's slightly harder to train them with it because it's -4. note that this only works on block. if you hit with d3 or d4 and you cancel into lp, you have enough frame advantage from the hit to be safe (at least from ice slide). although you're close as balls and chances are your opponent will be mashing something fierce so....

you can cancel off f4 too but that's not really a mixup seeing as its like -20 by itself and the next hit is mid. the idea is to pester with d3 until they get tired of taking 2 percent damage from constantly stand blocking and start using pounce. i wish you could do this off f2-3, alternating between finishing the string or pounce but apparently a 5% or 16% mixup would be too crazy.

if they catch on, lp is horribly unsafe if blocked and doesn't lead to big damage, but unlike ex roll, it's meterless. and i start a lot of combos sniping people with ex teleport, so the less meter i spend on mixups, the more i can spend on fullscreen punishes and breakers.

Histrionik

Wake-Up Rolls, bitch.
I've posted all of this in the Mileena general, but since you're starting a topic...

Safe advancing normals and an 8f special punish [16f w/ armor] let Mileena “cheat” a bit at footsies. Zoning is very strong with the low projectile of Piercing, but she can be punished. She also boasts some of the highest damage meterless punishes in the game, and gets a full combo off of EN Teleport Drop from literally anywhere on the screen. I feel like her ideal footsie range is about a step back from sweep distance so she can go into a zoning game or advance into pressure with her safe normals.

D4 - +21 is legit. Dash, throw, B12, F4; a good deal of options for follow-up. Range is pretty mediocre.

Ball Roll - Quick, full (half?) combo punish. EN gets armor and hits overhead.

Throw - Throw has good positioning for Mileena. Close enough for her advancing strings, far enough away to allow zoning. Puts her back in that ideal zone of control.

B12 // 21 // F12B4 // F4 // 123
xxRoll, B3 xxTeleport Drop xxSai, B12 1+3 [32-35%]
- Standard BnB with a few different starters. I talked about these earlier too. This is the most damage I can get without giving up consistency.
- B12 - Leads into 11f punish combo. Safe on block and hits from sweep distance. Great for fishing for combos and punishing.
- F12B4 - Covers the largest amount of space and leads to high damage combos. Has some mix-up potential with EN Ball Roll as well. It also sort of OTGs after a combo ending with B21 2+4. Still gets blown up by armored wake-ups; but decent to know for pressure. Meaty, ftw. The best mix-up tool, imo but be aware of how slow it is.
- F4 - Low starter. When canceled into Roll is obviously unsafe. F44 is -8 on block. So punishable, but only by a set amount of things. Use this for mix-up. It’s good for footsies because it also reaches from sweep distance, but I'm mostly using it with F4 xxEN Ball Roll to punish people who cant change block stance easily.
- 21U4 - Hits High//Low//Overhead. Safe on block. Pretty good for pressure in general. Mix-up with EN Roll as usual.
- 123 - I'm using this in combination with 21U4 and F12B4 as my pressure strings. This one causes some pushback, too, But is ideal distance for a B12, D4, or F4.
- Unfortunately, all of our normals are a bit slow, so pressure is gonna be more from making the other person afraid to react with Rolls instead of using quick strings while neutral/advantage. It's similar to how she pressure with 34 in MK9.

EN Teleport Drop xxSai, F23 xxBall Roll, step forward, 124 xxLow Sai [28 + 6%] // B21 2+4 [34%]
- The low sai is not considered part of the combo, but it applies pressure and stuffs non-enhanced wake-ups. The 124 combo ender puts her in good range for zoning. The B21 2+4 puts you closer for pressure and gives best guaranteed damage. I'm using this combo mostly to punish zoning wars as the Teleport is basically guaranteed during lengthy projectile animations.

F343 // F344 whatever
- I'm not using this much. EN Roll is my overhead. It's decent to go over some things and harder to deal with when used near the corner. Meh. I'm not a fan.

So, let me just echo what others have been saying in that I don't feel like "Mix-Up" is really our main style here. We have options, but punishment and anti-zoning while bring very strong zoning of our own feels more like the spot you want to be in with Mileena now. Yes, there is risky mix-up there, but imo, we should be using these to blow opponents up after we've trained them to do what we want.

Last edited: