What's new

Guide Mike Z's "How to make Fighting games better"

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
Here is a video that tells what Mike Zaimont (creator of Skullgirls) says on how to make fighting games better. I feel that what he says is actually what most fighting games should work on today. More developers should take note of what he says. Mortal Kombat X could use some of this info, even though that game has a block button.

If you want to create fighting games, you should look at this.

In cace if you don't want to view the whole thing, I have made notes on this right here. But I do recommend watching the video at least:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vBMNzqrg7PSJRQEZyG1YFvRv1U2UkycOSjFDeYtBcUw/edit

Last edited:

Zebster

How's my volume?
Here is a video that tells what Mike Zaimont (creator of Skullgirls) says on how to make fighting games better. I feel that what he says is actually what most fighting games should work on today. More developers should take note of what he says. Mortal Kombat X could use some of this info, even though that game has a block button.

If you want to create fighting games, you should look at this.

In cace if you don't want to view the whole thing, I have made notes on this right here. But I do recommend watching the video at least:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vBMNzqrg7PSJRQEZyG1YFvRv1U2UkycOSjFDeYtBcUw/edit
I remember seeing that! It's the least condescending Mike Z has ever been, lol.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
MKX def needs more storage on replays. Only like 12 games isn't enough.

Allow it to save at least 50 games.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
@Predannok

Because it almost has everything he said. There isn't too many problems in terms of balancing and broken stuff. The problem I have with that game is that there is barely any character in that game that inspires me to play as. No Erron Black (Outlaw), Quan Chi (Warlock), or Mileena (Ravenous) for me :(

@Zebster

He is very opinionated. Thats a fact. He has almost a black and white view in how fighting games should be. At least in his mind it stays united like that. I too am frustrated with what some fighting games got away with. UMVC3's notorious touch of death gameplay, some broken things you can find with Stun, OS in games in general. If someone has that type of view in fighting games, at least he/she knows what they want and what's fair.

@Bird Lao X

Well its better than nothing. I do wish there could be more storage tho.

The problem I have with that game is that there is barely any character in that game that inspires me to play as.
that was my issue too but with big band and beowolf i had a lot of fun recently also people are funding DLCs and theres a evil cyborg in the process(not Robo fortune) :D.
The last dlc kickstarter had over 750k $ so im sure more Characters will come.

I had an idea the other day that relates to this. Most fighting games are criticized for being difficult to learn with little built-in tutorial. Skullgirls however has a load of tutorial for all the ground fundamentals as well as an interactable breakdown for each character. Each character tutorial provides a set of sequenced text boxes (usually explaining a move/mechanic) followed by a drill (e.g do 5 fireballs). Because it's in real time, this method of learning is much more accessible for less hard-core players. However, Skullgirls has a small roster. With a roster of 25+, making a tutorial for each character would be costly. Another down side is that the tutorial may not be as in depth as the player needs it to be.

My solution: have this same type of tutorial be programmable in-game and allow people to upload it online and shared. This way, people have interactable tutorials to follow and they can choose how in-depth they want to learn. For example, there could a tutorial named [Basics]Scorpion Guide and another called [Advanced Setups]Scorpion Guide. This would all be in-game online and easily accessible to anyone.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
I had an idea the other day that relates to this. Most fighting games are criticized for being difficult to learn with little built-in tutorial. Skullgirls however has a load of tutorial for all the ground fundamentals as well as an interactable breakdown for each character. Each character tutorial provides a set of sequenced text boxes (usually explaining a move/mechanic) followed by a drill (e.g do 5 fireballs). Because it's in real time, this method of learning is much more accessible for less hard-core players. However, Skullgirls has a small roster. With a roster of 25+, making a tutorial for each character would be costly. Another down side is that the tutorial may not be as in depth as the player needs it to be.

My solution: have this same type of tutorial be programmable in-game and allow people to upload it online and shared. This way, people have interactable tutorials to follow and they can choose how in-depth they want to learn. For example, there could a tutorial named [Basics]Scorpion Guide and another called [Advanced Setups]Scorpion Guide. This would all be in-game online and easily accessible to anyone.
Blazblue at least attempted something like that. Combo challenges really teach you without words. Command training like Dead or Alive gets the job done really well. You perform the move with the inputs given to you on the screen automatically, you quickly know how it works. I don't play those games but I really wished most fighting games have that!

Maybe indepth tutorials aren't that needed but if they are there, its an excellent Plus in my book. Pictures and interactive action speak louder than words

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Watched this whole thing and I would recommend many to do the same. This isn't only a problem with FGs. I know for a fact sports games alter or completely take out wanted or loved features/aspects of their game while also adding things that basically detract from it. Devs and Publisher alike really need to focus on the best experience for the players in all aspects. If that means just flat out asking then that's what should happen.

Thanks for sharing!!!