What's new

Midscreen uppercut combos

As everyone already knows, rain, ermac, kenshi have backwards uppercuts which you can combo out of. Also, I know baraka can do a blade charge if he catches an uppercut high enough.

Is this possible for any other charachters if you get a backwards uppercut via a crossover to combo out of. e.g if johnny cage got a backwards uppercut could he like d1 into nutpunch? I would test but I've banned myself from mk for a month due to exams D:

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
smokey made a thread identical to this after WGC when i displayed cyrax uppercut combos mid game during a tournament. i think they managed to list every character, but im not too sure. scorpion can get a 40% into vortex from his uppercut

smokey made a thread identical to this after WGC when i displayed cyrax uppercut combos mid game during a tournament. i think they managed to list every character, but im not too sure. scorpion can get a 40% into vortex from his uppercut
Ah, okay. They can delete this if they want then. Any idea what the thread was called?

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Ah, okay. They can delete this if they want then. Any idea what the thread was called?
i cant for the life of me remember, shouldnt be a problem it wasnt getting much replies anyway.

i think most characters can but some only can in the corner i think.

i cant for the life of me remember, shouldnt be a problem it wasnt getting much replies anyway.

i think most characters can but some only can in the corner i think.
I woulda thought this would be huge for characters with fast uppercuts. If johnny cage can combo into a nutpunch from a high uppercut I woulda thought everyone would be trying this shit with a 7 frame uppercut. And a 40% vortex combo is crazy :O

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I woulda thought this would be huge for characters with fast uppercuts. If johnny cage can combo into a nutpunch from a high uppercut I woulda thought everyone would be trying this shit with a 7 frame uppercut. And a 40% vortex combo is crazy :O
in theory yeah it sounds like a crucial tool, but the angle tends to be very specific, like catching them AS they cross you up, which is the angle where anti crossup d1's get stuffed all the time, so its up to you whether you trust yourself to nail it every time or you're gonna get hit by the jump.

Sheeva can cross up uppercut dash d1 xx BF3 for 28%ish if I recall.

Kitana can get a combo off a cross up uppercut, but it's a bit hard to do.

I think Sindel can as well, but they need to be at the highest point, and at most she gets D1 xx special.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Yea, Stryker can 4, roll toss after an uppercut, but you don't see many people do it cause the opponent has to be high enough to let you recover, but it's kinda hard. I've only done it a few times in a match.

Also, doesn't Shang have uppercut combos too?

KRYS9984

Noob
Off a launcher, Mileena can backwards uppercut (or forward if close to the corner) - D4 - Roll - into any combo ender.

seems all the characters can atleast get a d1 special out of it then... The timing must be quite difficult though :/

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Uppercuts seem to be an untapped resource in this game, one thing i would start by looking at is the hitbox lowering with certain character. I think i saw pig's mileena uppercut and avoid nightwolf's dash (hits high).

Timing on most characters is tight, but ive known people to squeeze in a D4~special if they catch them in the right position, in which case you only need to move forward a tiny bit (backwards in this case, but technically you move forwards).

If you have a better anti air which you hit more consistantly i would suggest forgetting this. If your kung lao for example fishing for anti air uppercuts, go home.