What's new

Mid-screen up missile set-ups

NKZero

Noob
Ok guys so I had this thread done beforehand but it got lost when we had that data conundrum. Anyways I won't quite lay it out like I did last time but here it is in any case.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) When is it best to use up missile set-ups?
  • When you want to remain on the offensive
  • Generally better to use in a 1 bar combo (otherwise you are sacrificing too much damage)
  • Cutting a combo short because the opponent has breaker (so you chip them out instead)
2) When to use the in front missile, on top missile or behind missile...

Ok so here's how it works. The first few times you do UM set-ups it is imperative that you pay attention to how your opponent is getting up. Is he tech-rolling all the time? Does he just get up normally? Does he do an advancing wake-up special or is he wake-up happy in general?
In each of these situations, there is a missile.

The on top missile is basically when an opponent tries just get up normally. The up missile will land on their head and when blocked you have a lot of frame advantage to go in and pressure, go for the leg-lift 50/50 or throw etc. If the opponent does a wake-up where their character stays in place e.g. Ermac's telekinetic push or Kenshi's shoulder charge, then the missile can knock some characters out of their attack.

The in front up missile is for those who use advancing wake-ups to try and blow you up. That's why it's generally important that you use a safe up missile set-up to have enough time to block and punish the wake-up with the extra assistance of the up missile. Examples of advancing wake-ups are Cage's shadow kick or Jax's dash punch. Normally if you do a safe up missile set-up, the opponent won't have enough time to walk forwards so the only way this particular missile will work is if they use a special to bring themselves there.

The behind up missile is used against tech-roll happy players. Simply, you launch the behind up missile, the opponent rolls backwards into the missile set-up. Now if an opponent rolls backwards that usually means they can escape your pressure so in that case gain the advantage of the missile and use your long range footsie pokes or retreat and start zoning. Also be wary of those who tech roll and then do a wake-up attack.

3) A brief rundown of the different type of up missile enders...
  • 1-up missile: simply put is safe against every character but because it is a one button press before the up missile it makes it hard to buffer the in front/behind up missile. Wouldn't use it if you can do 21-up missile consistently.
  • 21-up missile: also safe against every character but this time you have two button presses so it makes the buffering of different missiles significantly easier. Still the activation window is smaller than 12-up missile for example.
  • 12-up missile: safe in certain situations but can be blown up against some characters' wake-ups. Easiest buffer for different missiles.
  • F4-up missile: best proximity for missiles meaning that you can even pressure off the behind up missile. Tricky buffer due to the one button press and isn't always safe.
Now onto the actual test...
I have tested these set-ups on wake-up to make sure I have enough time to block and then react to what my opponent does. I tested vs normal wake-ups and tech roll wake-ups. All up missile enders followed EX teleport uppercut (if you read what I wrote earlier, it's better to do missile set-ups in 1 bar combos) so take that into consideration.

Characters who punish F4-up missile with normal wake-up attack: NOBODY!!
Characters who punish F4-up missile with tech roll wake-up attack: Baraka, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax*, Ermac**, Johnny Cage, Kenshi, Nightwolf, Raiden, Reptile***, Sub Zero

Characters who punish 12-up missile with normal wake-up attack: Baraka, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax*, Ermac**, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kano, Kenshi, Kung Lao*, Nightwolf, Raiden, Reptile***, Sub Zero
Characters who punish 12-up missile with tech roll wake-up attack: NOBODY!!

*Cyrax can punish 12-up missile (normal) or F4-up missile (tech roll) with EX rag doll so he needs meter to do so. The same applies to Kung Lao, but EX spin only punishes 12-up missile (normal).

**Ermac technically punishes 12-up missile (normal) or F4-up missile (tech roll) but he loses in damage trade. If the missile hits, it's 8% in Sektor's favour versus 6% for Ermac. Plus Ermac is stuffed out of wake-up telekinetic lift, so he cannot follow-up.

***Reptile's elbow dash isn't a true wake-up attack but due to it's speed and wake-up like features, it is quick enough to punish 12-up missile (normal) and F4-up missile (tech roll).

CONCLUSION: 21-up missile is safe against every wake-up in the game, regardless of whether the opponent uses a normal wake-up attack or a tech roll wake-up. 1-up missile is the same but as I stated earlier, it is a harder buffer. I would therefore say that 21-up missile is the best ender you should be using in every situation. Then you don't have to worry about character specifics like you would if you use F4-up missile or 12-up missile.