What's new

Meter management

fireborg

Noob
So what is your thinking on meter management in this game?

Small tip i observed end of the round is ideal for using your meter, since the time between rounds fills a bar quite significantly

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Using it more aggressively at the end of the round is smart.

I think you should think about it matchup wise, both for your character and the opponents. Like maybe you want to avoid waking up or using interactables against Scorpion, because the biggest threat is getting hit by an amplified teleport which is countered well by breakaway.

Keeping an eye on the opponent's meter is a big deal. When the opponent doesn't have breakway, the usefulness of Krushing Blows that combo increases dramatically. Conversely, if the Krushing Blow is just a straight damage chunk, that may be better than a normal launch if the opponent has breaker. It's more tempting to pressure an opponent with only 1 bar of each meter than an opponent with 2, because even if they wakeup/flawless block, they'll then have zero meter to threaten you with. Meter comes back fast but being aggression when the opponent is down is rewarded.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Both players start with full meter, both offensive and defensive. Most players will breakaway from big two bar combos so usually the first one. So the best thing you can do is just bait a meterless combo in the beginning and hope they spend their defensive meter on that one. That's one strategy you can use.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Use meter often. There’s no real reason to save it. It will replenish before you know it.

Probably one of my absolute favorite changes for this game. It encourages you to actually use your amplified moves instead of sitting on meter and wasting it. I love it.
One of the best parts about it too is that there is no longer meter-building discrepancies between characters, particularly when one effectively zones out the other. I was playing a "Jaded" Jade in ranked as Cetrion and she would go purple and start spamming glaives. In past NRS games, it would have beee extremely frustrating to watch her build a ton of meter through projectiles while I have to approach. But since there is no meter build from specials(and it helped that she only has a high projectile in that variation), I would just turtle for the most part through purple and start zoning/pressure when it ran out. Before, it would have been insane to let Jade throw 5-8 projectiles, building meter with each one. You can actually be patient with it now.

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
I've been maining Geras, my kombo if I land a body splash is

4xxBF1 MB, d2, d2, j2, f1 1+3 df1

assuming they don't breakaway, by the time the kombo is over I've regained like 60% of the meter I used at the start of the kombo.

as such, I don't even pay attention to offensive meter for the most part. It's almost always there when I need it.

Defensive meter should be used with a little bit more discretion, but at the moment it seems like a waste to not use meter at any time that it would be useful since it regens relatively quickly.

At this point, for me personally, Krushing Blow management is more important than meter management

trufenix

bye felicia
it's almost hard to remember a time before automatic meter gain, it feels so natural. I wish I could have more just so I could chop chop even longer.

fireborg

Noob
i would disagree just a little bit with using it all the time, in last days i had some sets with homies, that were able to keep me on lock in the corner - it is the worst place to be in fighting games, so one might consider keeping his defensive meter for that.

also now when i m thinking out loud, i think its good to consider how strong the opponent oki is before using wake up and also if he tends to whiff punish your wake up.

offensively i agree almost all the time is available, but sometimes i hesitate to put in an extra bar for like 80/90 plus damage

fireborg

Noob
I've been maining Geras, my kombo if I land a body splash is

4xxBF1 MB, d2, d2, j2, f1 1+3 df1

assuming they don't breakaway, by the time the kombo is over I've regained like 60% of the meter I used at the start of the kombo.

as such, I don't even pay attention to offensive meter for the most part. It's almost always there when I need it.

Defensive meter should be used with a little bit more discretion, but at the moment it seems like a waste to not use meter at any time that it would be useful since it regens relatively quickly.

At this point, for me personally, Krushing Blow management is more important than meter management
soo what is your KB management? =D

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
It's at this time that I appreciate playing Cage because I can skip all the "turn on the option to hold button to get KBs" and I don't even need to think when to do my KBs as they are impossible to get in a real match so basically I don't need to bother with this entire mechanic alltogether.

I am truly lucky.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Rack Off I wanna see more KBs! not just the ones that trigger on combo & counter...o well at least johnny has cool brutalities...

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
soo what is your KB management? =D
for me, Highest priority use for a KB that you can reliably pull off (Jax Quad Grab, Geras F2,2,1+3 kounter) is to win a round before an enemy even gets a chance to fatal blow (i.e. doing enough damage ~350-400 to take them from out of fatal blow liferange to death).

next are the Krushing Blows that are more random/not as easy to get on demand. d2 could be an example of this depending on the matchup. another example might be the throw krushing blows where the opponent techs wrong. Since you have slightly less control over these occurring you mostly just take em when you can get em.

main thing depends on knowledge of opponent, if I'm figuring someone out I'll be less likely to use a KB in the first round so I can save them to take the next 2 rounds if I need them