What's new

Tweedy

Noob
I think tournaments say almost nothing about how good characters are. It's year 1 and even in like year 10 of games people aren't robots, so character rep won't determine tier lists 100%. This method downplays Superman so it's not even like i'm being biased here.

Edit: Also Starfire should be at 0 I think. If you're referencing Jupiter that was actually top 32.

Belial

Noob
True, but it doesn't take into account player competence.
I dont think there is reliable way to measure player competence, so its basically a speculation, that is no better than purely subjective tier lists we had so far. Point-wise I could introduce diminishing returns like basic ranking systems do, where, say, a player that won a lot of tournaments add less to character points, but Im pretty sure that would end up a mess. The real way to go is have more bigger tournaments. When you have stats from 5 its good, when you have stats from 50 you're talking more or less objective stuff.

I think tournaments say almost nothing about how good characters are. It's year 1 and even in like year 10 of games people aren't robots, so character rep won't determine tier lists 100%. This method downplays Superman so it's not even like i'm being biased here.

Edit: Also Starfire should be at 0 I think. If you're referencing Jupiter that was actually top 32.
As for Superman placing its called "meta" tier list. Some chars are good but not worth picking at top level, maybe thats superman case. Or maybe they are simple underrepresented, just as Firestorm, in that particular selection of tournaments. Like I said I can improve on that list as(if) more tournaments come our way.

Starfire I scrolled through vids and marked chars used, somebody used SF as counterpick, though i could only count counterpicks that count (ie won a game). But such small things only matter in short run, on a larger scale (10+ tournaments) it wont matter.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
They dont wanna admit that it is a stupid gameplay mechanic.
The way buffs themselves are designed is already stupid enough. How many damage buffs are there, three? If you could choose your trait, you would just pick the optimal one. It doesn't help that some of buffable tools are same-y, depending on MU.

I think the idea was to force you to shift playstyle preferences depending on what you get, but I don't see it really working.

Anyway, that's way off-topic.

The way buffs themselves are designed is already stupid enough. How many damage buffs are there, three? If you could choose your trait, you would just pick the optimal one. It doesn't help that some of buffable tools are same-y, depending on MU.

I think the idea was to force you to shift playstyle preferences depending on what you get, but I don't see it really working.

Anyway, that's way off-topic.
That's poor design if one of the traits is always the optimal one. Besides that argument kind of falls apart when you consider other characters.

Hellboy can choose his trait. Lots of people use armor some people go for damage and I've seen a couple of comebacks with resurrect. People aren't always picking the same thing.

When Darkseid summons a parademon he doesn't need to adjust to which one is going to come out. He picks the best one for the situation. Etc etc

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
That's poor design if one of the traits is always the optimal one.
I mean, if we consider current buffs, it very well is.

That's why I'm making this guess devs never intended this to be a tool to help you adapt to situations, but rather to make you adapt to what you get and get rewarded.

I personally don't think it really works, but eh.