What's new

Maximilians opinion on how YouTube affects Mortal Kombat

So much negativity towards Max. I watched this when it came out and if I recall correctly he was upset not because of losing money but because some fans wouldn't be able to watch his content or would need to jump through hoops to do so. He was also concerned for smaller mk focused channels. The editing he did color changing gore could be helpful those channels as well. Personally i'm happy he did this he has a large channel and fan base and can hopefully get yt to notice and maybe fix it so it doesn't effect other channels that are smaller

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The problem is monetization depends on the advertisers, and advertisers generally don't want their ads running alongside content that could be considered controversial or doesn't mesh with their product/image.
I still don't see the issue because most advertisements have nothing to do with the video itself, it's just an ad, everyone knows that whatever game the video is about isn't at all connected to the ad itself, they're two separate things. It seems like sure Yt is trying to protect themselves from lawsuits because of the whole thing that happened with ads showing up on videos about...nasty stuff, but their system could be better because it impacts everyone negatively. It's not good business to punish everyone for one group of weirdos.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I still don't see the issue because most advertisements have nothing to do with the video itself, it's just an ad, everyone knows that whatever game the video is about isn't at all connected to the ad itself, they're two separate things. It seems like sure Yt is trying to protect themselves from lawsuits because of the whole thing that happened with ads showing up on videos about...nasty stuff, but their system could be better because it impacts everyone negatively. It's not good business to punish everyone for one group of weirdos.
It's not about YT protecting itself from lawsuits, it's about YT convincing companies to continue to pay for advertisements. Content is only as valuable as the market determines it to be, and if companies decide it's not worth it to advertise on YT, then there's no money for "content creators". This isn't just YT pre-emptively freaking out over nothing, by the way, there are actually companies who have pulled out of ad spots because they weren't happy about being linked or associated with questionable content.

Think about it from the company's perspective who are paying for the ads.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's not about YT protecting itself from lawsuits, it's about YT convincing companies to continue to pay for advertisements. Content is only as valuable as the market determines it to be, and if companies decide it's not worth it to advertise on YT, then there's no money for "content creators". This isn't just YT pre-emptively freaking out over nothing, by the way, there are actually companies who have pulled out of ad spots because they weren't happy about being linked or associated with questionable content.

Think about it from the company's perspective who are paying for the ads.
That's true, I still think their AI system to detect this stuff is still ass and needs a massive rework.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Yeah, that's generally the bigger issue. It's a real problem that YT is dealing with, but so far their response hasn't been great. Not an easy thing to deal with though.
This can't be stated often enough. I believe that you need an IQ on the level of Albert Einstein to code such a system. I do think that YouTube does a lot of things right, but there are still areas, where the system is simply not calibrated well enough. And I'm not sure if it ever will be perfectly calibrated.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Not everyone is Maximilian. That's why I specifically named other people like Ketchup & Mustard. Reo. HoneyBee.
They all do the same and they all depend on the money. Some more than others.
They dont depend on it. Obviously it is a source of income, but you have to pull way more views than they do to depend on youtube. Most of these guys reupload gameplay from Twitch archives anyway... the tutorials and discussion videos on MK can be monetized. Its unlucky, but there’s still options for mk youtubers.Not the end of the world

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Sucks but what can you do? I wish there was an alternative. YouTube is pretty terrible at most things.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
It also happens to comedy, free speech, political and other YT channels, not only MK related stuff. Past year was hard for a lot of (mostly alternative) YT content creators.

say it aint so... max wont make money for reuploading his twitch treams in pieces over time to his youtube channel from his twitch channel? the same twitch channel that makes like idk, anywhere from 500-1000 alone in donations on any given night? let alone the subscriber money he’ll rake in?

So tragic
dude why won't you do the same? you're hilarious and i would watch you weird stream clips.

Xelz

Go over there!
In this day and age live streaming and other online video content drives user demand. Look at Fortnite for the best evidence of this. Sure, it would've done fine on its own, but its streaming dominance cause Netflix to call Fortnite a key competitor. EA spent what appears to be millions to get key influencers to stream Apex Legends during the first two days of release.

And honestly I don't think this trend is a bad thing (except for EA's lack of disclosure - that's a whole other topic). Football, baseball, golf, poker, name your sport, all started with low-paid or barely paid shout casters and media coverage. Now we have ESPN, Sunday Night Football, Jim Nantz, and immortalized soccer goal shouts. Esports entertainment is evolving the same way physical sports did.

YouTube blocking MK content is a huge deal that could damage sales. And if that happens, don't be shocked if WB/NRS has to tone down MK's signature gore in future releases to stay competitive and maintain sales.

So support Max and the other streamers who have to go through all these hoops to create their content. And raise hell with YouTube/Google to change their algorithm. Otherwise we'll see MK homogenize with Injustice.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
In this day and age live streaming and other online video content drives user demand. Look at Fortnite for the best evidence of this. Sure, it would've done fine on its own, but its streaming dominance cause Netflix to call Fortnite a key competitor. EA spent what appears to be millions to get key influencers to stream Apex Legends during the first two days of release.

And honestly I don't think this trend is a bad thing (except for EA's lack of disclosure - that's a whole other topic). Football, baseball, golf, poker, name your sport, all started with low-paid or barely paid shout casters and media coverage. Now we have ESPN, Sunday Night Football, Jim Nantz, and immortalized soccer goal shouts. Esports entertainment is evolving the same way physical sports did.

YouTube blocking MK content is a huge deal that could damage sales. And if that happens, don't be shocked if WB/NRS has to tone down MK's signature gore in future releases to stay competitive and maintain sales.

So support Max and the other streamers who have to go through all these hoops to create their content. And raise hell with YouTube/Google to change their algorithm. Otherwise we'll see MK homogenize with Injustice.
Actually , EA had little to no Info on apex, as respawn did not want them to make it a pay to win

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It doesn’t affect shit.
I can say "who gives a fuck" about anything, doesn't make it a useful opinion.

It's going to disencourage people from making MK content on youtube. You can be like "oh most of its shit anyway, get a real job" but this is negatively affecting the creation of MK related content that I personally enjoy.

People get so mad about YouTubers for no reason
Yeah I've also found that people on this forum really hate Youtubers. They think they're lazy bums with no jobs who just film and upload videos with an iPhone and rake in millions. People were mad at Tom Brady for uploading a 15 minute video instead of writing it in freaking essay form because they thought he wanted to make Youtube money..... Dude probably made like 4 cents off that video lol.