What's new

Maximilians opinion on how YouTube affects Mortal Kombat

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Maximilian has been covering Mortal Kombat on his channel for almost five years now. His content ranged from news updates to reactions, gameplay and even a couple of live action fan movies.
In the following video Max shares his opinion on the issue:

85%-90% of Maximilians content has been demonetized. And that's not even the main problem. The main problem is that now Mortal Kombat videos are even being age restricted, which means that you have to own a YouTube account and also be logged in to view them. On top of that some countries CAN NOT EVEN watch age restricted videos. You can imagine that something like that decreases your viewer base by quite a bit. All of that must suck for content creators. Especially those, who mainly focus on Mortal Kombat, like for example Ketchup & Mustard or REO.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
say it aint so... max wont make money for reuploading his twitch treams in pieces over time to his youtube channel from his twitch channel? the same twitch channel that makes like idk, anywhere from 500-1000 alone in donations on any given night? let alone the subscriber money he’ll rake in?

So tragic

J_in_CA

Noob
This is why I don't believe in calling people who's content depends on things other people actually created "content creators" Someone who actually creates something is one thing but people who stream games or do reactions aren't really creators. I don't mind them making money off of it, I wish them luck but I don't really care to hear them complain when the rules change.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Not everyone is Maximilian. That's why I specifically named other people like Ketchup & Mustard. Reo. HoneyBee.
They all do the same and they all depend on the money. Some more than others.
Then find a job. Youtube is a free time thing and should remain that way. I don’t understand people who take this thing seriously. K&M should be hired by WB for promotion purposes though. These guys actually explain the game unlike other guys, even Honeybee.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
90% of MK related youtubers are shit. Period. What do they do? Those other 10% are K&M and pros (tourney guys) who give tips and update us on something very important.
We got a bunch of absolutely useless guys who:
1- rerecord kombat kasts to show fatalities and other cool things but do so to their own credits.
2- give us fake news like Ed Boon *breaths and Destiny goes like THEY ANNOUNCED Fujin!
3- just play the game with zero skill and get tons of views for forcing their videos everywhere.
I don’t get the sense of this video, Max basically whines about Youtube’s policy that we all already know.
Personally I watch Youtube MK related stuff like:
Character dialogues
Tourneys and high level play
Kombat kasts
Other things are irrelevant.
People have been buying these games without Youtubers. I don’t think there are people who are not familiar with MK.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
It’s alarming that the content is getting hit, specifically because it 1) lowers the exposure of the game 2) doesn’t give an incentive to keep making or start making and sharing content

Is it bad to have all your eggs in the streamer and video creator basket, I think so, especially for this reason. But you raise so many good points — this is something that people who’s ARENT max and their ability to make content about MK

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I don’t get the sense of this video, Max basically whines about Youtube’s policy that we all already know.
The policy isn't there to put an age restriction on Rated M games. There are other bloody, rated M games, which don't get demonetized / age restricted.
YouTubes system seems to target Mortal Kombat more than other games, because it thinks of the gore in Mortal Kombat as actual real life violence.

Personally I watch Youtube MK related stuff like [...]
Other things are irrelevant.
And I personally don't watch 'Twilight' or '50 Shades of Grey', yet tickets to those movies sell like hot cakes.
There is different stuff out there for different people. Some people might enjoy content, which you deem meaningless.

Last edited:

J_in_CA

Noob
At the end of the day youtube should just work harder to apply ads that fit with the channel. As I said I'm not against someone making money by streaming or doing reactions but they shouldn't be called content creators because they don't actually create anything. That being said YouTube should just put ads for R rated movies and M rated games to channels that do MK videos.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
We all played Mortal Kombat as kids, but with recent games evolving visually, that means the violence looks a bit more realistic. Some parents don't want their children to see that. And with kids consuming YouTube content, that's not an unwise decision to make. There should be age restrictions. If Max is going to choose to make videos dedicated to a game that literally has an age certification, then age restrictions are the logical conclusion. More videos about Fortnite may be what he needs to generate much needed income?

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Suck a dick max... you rake in so much cash on your twitches and youtubes and stuff.. no one gives a shit about you and you first world problems. Your not a "content creator" you broadcast other peoples work.. if you can't be bothered doing that then don't.. no one will care. Fuck you and your arrogant narcissism. .

haketh

Noob
Suck a dick max... you rake in so much cash on your twitches and youtubes and stuff.. no one gives a shit about you and you first world problems. Your not a "content creator" you broadcast other peoples work.. if you can't be bothered doing that then don't.. no one will care. Fuck you and your arrogant narcissism. .
God you are an actual moron

Ignoring just Max & how you somehow don’t think he creates content this is a YT wide issue & affects a lot more people than just him. Smaller YT content creators are even more fucked than he is if they’re working on monetizing their channels & want to focus on MK.

Barely even 20 post in this thread & theirs already a couple people showing their asses with how much they don’t know about what goes into keeping a lot of these channels around & the BS YouTube constantly pulls.

aj1701

Noob
God you are an actual moron

Ignoring just Max & how you somehow don’t think he creates content this is a YT wide issue & affects a lot more people than just him. Smaller YT content creators are even more fucked than he is if they’re working on monetizing their channels & want to focus on MK.

Barely even 20 post in this thread & theirs already a couple people showing their asses with how much they don’t know about what goes into keeping a lot of these channels around & the BS YouTube constantly pulls.
You act like people are entitled to stream MK and make money off of it. Smaller "creators" are having tough time making money? Who cares? They can go do something else then. If YT sucks for making money on your videos, move to another platform.

Jynks

God you are an actual moron <snip> how much they don’t know about what goes into keeping a lot of these channels around
I think you missed my point.

I do not care how much effort these people put into it. They are literally just advertising conduits. People have been making money of weak minded chalet for generations by feeding them advertisements, there is nothing new here.. more power to them for finding a way to make some cash of the cattle-people.... but it is only a recent generation that activity seeks out advertisements as a form of entertainment. Most people had the sense to fast forward or skip channels when some looser came on the screen and fed us a bunch of commercial crap. Things like Max's videos are just paid product placement.

So along comes a product he can not exploit... well fucking boo-hoo.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Did you even watch the video? He doesn’t care much about the demonetization. He has tons of demonetized videos which he still leaves up. His complaint is specifically about flags specifically targeting red blood as real violence (blue and green blood don’t get flagged at all, nor do other M-rated games). Then the “age restricted” videos don’t even appear at all in some countries, and people are asking him why they aren’t seeing his videos come up.

You have severely overreacted.

Jynks

TYM members who actually share tech with video content on MK, be sure to subscribe those guys
K&M
REO
Tom Brady
Slips
RedRaptor
Eddy Wang

Pretty sure there is more, and we should definitely make a list so the community can keep tabs on tech regularly when the time actually matters.
etc Mc Fly (eddie?), GunShow

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The policy isn't there to put an age restriction on Rated M games. There are other bloody, rated M games, which don't get demonetized / age restricted.
YouTubes system seems to target Mortal Kombat more than other games, because it thinks of the gore in Mortal Kombat as actual real life violence.
Are you sure they're targeting MK specifically? I don't think this issue is isolated to just MK.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I agree with him 100%, I just got monetized on YT and most of my MK videos are already demonetized, even the one where it's gameplay for MK9 which makes no freaking sense. If you look at YT's guidelines on violence this is what it says:

• Inciting others to commit violent acts against individuals or a defined group of people
  • Fights involving minors
  • Footage, audio, or imagery involving road accidents, natural disasters, war aftermath, terrorist attack aftermath, street fights, physical attacks, sexual assaults, immolation, torture, corpses, protests or riots, robberies, medical procedures, or other such scenarios with the intent to shock or disgust viewers
  • Footage or imagery showing bodily fluids, such as blood or vomit, with the intent to shock or disgust viewers
  • Content where there is infliction of unnecessary suffering or harm deliberately causing an animal distress
  • Content where animals are encouraged or coerced to fight by humans
  • Dramatized or fictional footage of anything listed above where the viewer is not provided with enough context to determine that the footage is dramatized or fictional

So there is NO reason for YT to demonetize these videos because it's not REAL violence and it's not fictional violence that leads anyone to believe it's real, they all know it's a video game. Something needs to change. I am not doing this full time yet, but if I want to do it, but stuff like this is kinda scary if you're quitting your job and just jumping into this thing where you don't even know if it'll be worth it.

So I am for NRS adding blue blood, or I can also just add filters myself, whichever option as long as it works, if fine for me.

Anyways, just my Canadian 0.02$.

Last edited:
People are not being mature about this.

I do think it'd be good for NRS to add a kind of "muted blood" and "no fatality" mode to account for these situations (a-la, something that applies the filters Max used to get around the issue, since you can't really dictate "no fatality" in online modes).

It's totally fair for youtube to set up age restrictions- even if those restrictions aren't handed out fairly because that's just the nature of having to use an automated process in an environment where you have thousands upon thousands of uploads every day. YouTube is eventually going to have to solve the problem of monetization being a one-size-fits all situation because there's almost definitely buckets of advertisers who don't mind their ads playing on violent content as much as there are those who do. It's just money down the drain for everyone.

But that problem isn't going to be a big issue for youtube until looooong after it's become a big issue for kontent kreators. Since kontent kreators play a large role in selling copies of the game (NRS has been very good about this with things like the Kollective), I think it'd be absolutely worth it for NRS to add options to the game that help encourage this.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So there is NO reason for YT to demonetize these videos because it's not REAL violence and it's not fictional violence that leads anyone to believe it's real, they all know it's a video game. Something needs to change. I am not doing this full time yet, but if I want to do it, but stuff like this is kinda scary if you're quitting your job and just jumping into this thing where you don't even know if it'll be worth it.
The problem is monetization depends on the advertisers, and advertisers generally don't want their ads running alongside content that could be considered controversial or doesn't mesh with their product/image.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
People are not being mature about this.

I do think it'd be good for NRS to add a kind of "muted blood" and "no fatality" mode to account for these situations (a-la, something that applies the filters Max used to get around the issue, since you can't really dictate "no fatality" in online modes).

It's totally fair for youtube to set up age restrictions- even if those restrictions aren't handed out fairly because that's just the nature of having to use an automated process in an environment where you have thousands upon thousands of uploads every day. YouTube is eventually going to have to solve the problem of monetization being a one-size-fits all situation because there's almost definitely buckets of advertisers who don't mind their ads playing on violent content as much as there are those who do. It's just money down the drain for everyone.

But that problem isn't going to be a big issue for youtube until looooong after it's become a big issue for kontent kreators. Since kontent kreators play a large role in selling copies of the game (NRS has been very good about this with things like the Kollective), I think it'd be absolutely worth it for NRS to add options to the game that help encourage this.
Well said.