What's new

Matchup Chart

Don’t know why these aren’t posted anymore but they are pretty fun to discuss.
So the patch didn’t affect the meta at all for reptile. With sub zeros buffs, there’s a decent chance reptile is the worst character in the game. Want to congratulate all the early joes up playing reptile. Anyways, after e extensively playing with reptile here is my matchup chart for him:
Winning:
Liu kang 6-4
Kenshi 6-4

Even:
Rain
Sub zero
Li mei
Havik
Geras
Shao
Scorpion
Kung lao
Shang
Nitara
Omni

Losing:
Kitana 4-6
Tanya 4-6
Mileena 4-6
Smoke 4-6
Reiko 4-6
Raiden 4-6

Sindel 3-7
Baraka 3-7
Ashrah 3-7

I feel like reptile does well vs stationary characters that don’t have much air presence. All of these are based off of either using sub zero or Stryker kameo mainly.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm curious why you think Kenshi and Kang are 6-4 in favor of Reptile? Imo those are solid 6-4 going the other way.

As for why nobody does MU charts, I think it is still pretty early for them to be put out that's all. As it stands I don't think there is concrete top 10 yet lol. I do think the top 5 are in order:

Sindel
Cage
Kenshi
Raiden
Ashrah

With Liu Kang being a close 6 (imo) which is why it was so surprising for me to see you having Reptile winning those MUs.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Liu kang can confortably outzone Reptile and keep running away. He was has much better staggers and pressure upclose, just as good damage, and can convert from back throw with lao. Definitely a 6-4 in Kang's favor. As for kenshi, eh, I'd say it is also a 6-4, or a 5.5-4.5 in Kenshi's favor - he cant spam demon drop from full screen, as he risks reptile just elbow dashing and punishing him for a full combo, but other than that they both have far reaching normals that lead to combos. However, once the Spirit Ancestor is out, Reptile is gonna have a very hard time.

TBH, I think Ashrah is a 4-6 matchup for Reptile. He doesn't really have to fear her zoning as much and they both have (again) far reaching normals - ashrah, however, must spend bars for damage, while he doesnt need to.

I would also say Li Mei is 6-4, as she outdamages him greatly, has lots of pressure that can be tricky to deal and has a full screen projectile.
Nitara is IMO 6-4 against him as well - she doesnt give a fuck about your forceballs, can jump all over the place and control the space much better than him, and any touch will deal 40+ damage, and she has lots of overhead and low cancels into either lao hat or air moves.
Omni-man is 6-4 too: does almost as much damage, but can convert of tricky lows and overheads from fullscren, LOTS of plus/safe staggers, a ridiculous backdash, etc etc etc.

Ashrah can safely interrupt all of reptiles gaps and even punish with flash cancels. She completely out footsies him and makes him come to her. She also has much better pressure. There is no way it is in his favor.

I never have a problem getting in on liu. It might just be how I play the mu vs kenshi and Liu but I’ll consistently beat the best lius and kenshis in the world when I know they are better players.

Fractured_Shadow

Ashrah can safely interrupt all of reptiles gaps and even punish with flash cancels. She completely out footsies him and makes him come to her. She also has much better pressure. There is no way it is in his favor.

I never have a problem getting in on liu. It might just be how I play the mu vs kenshi and Liu but I’ll consistently beat the best lius and kenshis in the world when I know they are better players.
Agree with your take on Ashrah. Her armor puts her in another tier when it comes to characters with gaps.

As for Liu. Reptile gets eaten alive by low projectiles and Liu has the two best with Low Hat and Low Fireball. They effectively shut down his dash and force him to jump, which is a terrible idea against a good Kang. Everything is Yolo for reptile in this MU

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
I agree with your Kenshi placement being in favour of Reptile. As long as you keep your pressure strong and never allow him to call that Spirit stance, Reptile mauls him. The Liu placement I can see your point with that one as well, however, I'd maybe lean closer to being even. I'm pretty in favour of this chart overall. I think Omniman beat him instead of being even and I didn't think the Baraka matchup was that bad.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

Can you explain in a little bit more detail, about Ashrah? I'm only getting very occasionaly interrupted when using b31, but then I just start baiting their armor, same as any other character. The same applies for doing staggers like 11 - usually if I just dont overdo the same thing they will usually not try to armor. Also, how does she outfootsie him? Her sword has good range, sure, but so does his legs, and he can most of the time do the usual stagger into backdash b3 against her without a problem, unlike with Sub-zero (good range d1), Kitana and Mileena (from what I can remember).

I use Scorpion as a kameo, for context.

LEGEND

YES!
Baraka being 3-7 sounds goofy. Reptile may have to chase him down but Reptile's B3 is a better button than anything Baraka has, and reptile does way more damage and has actual mix-up potential.

Fractured_Shadow

Baraka being 3-7 sounds goofy. Reptile may have to chase him down but Reptile's B3 is a better button than anything Baraka has, and reptile does way more damage and has actual mix-up potential.
... Chase BARAKA down? Better buttons? Brah, what game are you playing?

When I talk about matchups, I try and talk about the highest level only. Have you played tweedys baraka Stryker. Easily the most oppressive oki in the game.

Barakas buttons are infinitely better than reptiles. Like it’s not even close

Baraka is practically the only character in the whole game with a throw loop. Now throw Stryker and an armor braking launching string that hits low into the mix and that makes him extremely oppressive

LEGEND

YES!
When I talk about matchups, I try and talk about the highest level only. Have you played tweedys baraka Stryker. Easily the most oppressive oki in the game.

Barakas buttons are infinitely better than reptiles. Like it’s not even close
yeah and you probably should base a MU on playing vs someone alot better than you.

Noone is tolerating this reptile downplay. B3 is insane

LEGEND

YES!
Baraka is practically the only character in the whole game with a throw loop. Now throw Stryker and an armor braking launching string that hits low into the mix and that makes him extremely oppressive
i wouldn't downplay Baraka, but idk what mix you are talking about. It's just strike/throw (albeit a powerful one)

Fractured_Shadow

Reptile B3 has better range than anything baraka has. Reptile can't Zone full screen, i'm not coming to you. Hold this spark for 8% if you try to forceball.
Baraka CAN zone Reptile, but that most certainly isn't his game plan.

Baraka has infinitely better buttons then Reptile and you seem to think the game is entirely played at sweep distance, that neutral resets there, and oki doesn't happen.

Baraka can get into Reptile's face almost for free with Stryker assist and absolutely dominates him if there is a knockdown. The Baraka slander will not be tolerated.

Last point, OP was bringing up Tweedy because I think we can all agree that he is the best representative of Baraka at the current highest level. MU charts are to based off of the character being played to its absolute peak. So it would be like saying Tweedy vs Honeybee.

Reptile loses this MU 6-4

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I will also jump in on the discussion and say Baraka is 6-4 against Reptile. Reppy's b3 has good range and is very good tool all around, but then so is Baraka's, which is double-hitting even, and afaik has no gap between b31 and b32

LEGEND

YES!
Baraka CAN zone Reptile, but that most certainly isn't his game plan.

Baraka has infinitely better buttons then Reptile and you seem to think the game is entirely played at sweep distance, that neutral resets there, and oki doesn't happen.

Baraka can get into Reptile's face almost for free with Stryker assist and absolutely dominates him if there is a knockdown. The Baraka slander will not be tolerated.

Last point, OP was bringing up Tweedy because I think we can all agree that he is the best representative of Baraka at the current highest level. MU charts are to based off of the character being played to its absolute peak. So it would be like saying Tweedy vs Honeybee.

Reptile loses this MU 6-4
I'm questioning it being a 3-7. It's a pretty bold position to have.

Stryker coverage is hard to deal with but It doesn't really guarantee anything in neutral. You can D2 or whatever the situation punish is.

otherwise it doesn't look like we disagree really

LEGEND

YES!
I will also jump in on the discussion and say Baraka is 6-4 against Reptile. Reppy's b3 has good range and is very good tool all around, but then so is Baraka's, which is double-hitting even, and afaik has no gap between b31 and b32
For the sake of information, not arguing MUs, Baraka's B3 is hit confirmable so the B31/2 thing shouldn't come up. B32 is punishable on block and the B3(1) can be ducked , just fyi.

B31 should only be thrown out with ambush coverage behind it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
For the sake of information, not arguing MUs, Baraka's B3 is hit confirmable so the B31/2 thing shouldn't come up. B32 is punishable on block and the B3(1) can be ducked , just fyi.

B31 should only be thrown out with ambush coverage behind it.
Yes, I know all of that. You can also b3 into ex df2 and get a full combo if they duck the b31. So now you might just throw b31 safely because they are expecting the ex df2. Obviously, you might want to get ambush coverage for df2 as well, but then this becomes in of itself a mindgame. Reptile's b3 can be armored through everytime, although one can expect this and simply do b3 and block, but this has none of the layers of mindgame Baraka's b3 has.

LEGEND

YES!
Yes, I know all of that. You can also b3 into ex df2 and get a full combo if they duck the b31. So now you might just throw b31 safely because they are expecting the ex df2. Obviously, you might want to get ambush coverage for df2 as well, but then this becomes in of itself a mindgame. Reptile's b3 can be armored through everytime, although one can expect this and simply do b3 and block, but this has none of the layers of mindgame Baraka's b3 has.
ok, just wanted to make sure. I'm personally not a fan of the B3 -> DF2 guessing game as the risk/reward just isn't worth it usually, but it exists for sure.

Obviously these mu numbers are not set in stone and only come from my experience playing against the best representatives of each character. You can def make an argument for Baraka just being 4-6 but to ME at the highest level based off of playing tweedy now probably some 20 games it feels that way.
Now before you say that I only feel that way because my record vs tweedy is heavily in his favor (probably like 15-5), that is not true because against other players such as unjust where my record is closer (probably like 20-12), I still think reptile wins the mu vs kenshi even though I’ll still lose more than win.

Updated matchup chart.

Winning:
Liu kang 5.5-4.5
Kenshi 5.5-4.5
Shang 6-4

Even:
Rain
Sub zero
Li mei
Havik
Geras
Shao
Scorpion
Nitara
Omni
Kitana

Losing:
Tanya 4-6
Mileena 4-6
Smoke 4-6
Reiko 4-6
Raiden 4-6
Baraka 4-6
Kung lao 3.5-6.5

Sindel 3-7
Ashrah 3-7

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Updated matchup chart.

Winning:
Liu kang 5.5-4.5
Kenshi 5.5-4.5
Shang 6-4

Even:
Rain
Sub zero
Li mei
Havik
Geras
Shao
Scorpion
Nitara
Omni
Kitana

Losing:
Tanya 4-6
Mileena 4-6
Smoke 4-6
Reiko 4-6
Raiden 4-6
Baraka 4-6
Kung lao 3.5-6.5

Sindel 3-7
Ashrah 3-7

What makes you think Reptile has an advantage over Liu? It seems like if anything, Liu would have the advantage. Especially full screen and up close in your face.

What makes you think Reptile has an advantage over Liu? It seems like if anything, Liu would have the advantage. Especially full screen and up close in your face.
he has a pretty classical zoning style. But it is easy to walk him down to the corner. Once you have his back to the wall, harassing him with carefully spaced forceballs works great. Reptiles b3 outfootsies anything he has. And you have to be comfortable microducking throws in this mu. Here is a video from Sunday’s kolosseum where I played sooneo. Imo he has the best Liu outside of ninja. I was able to beat him lower bracket 3-1 and lost in a close 5 setter in winner semis. Still I think it shows how the mu can be played.

starts at 1:48.00

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
he has a pretty classical zoning style. But it is easy to walk him down to the corner. Once you have his back to the wall, harassing him with carefully spaced forceballs works great. Reptiles b3 outfootsies anything he has. And you have to be comfortable microducking throws in this mu. Here is a video from Sunday’s kolosseum where I played sooneo. Imo he has the best Liu outside of ninja. I was able to beat him lower bracket 3-1 and lost in a close 5 setter in winner semis. Still I think it shows how the mu can be played.

starts at 1:48.00
I watched that on stream. That was a great match. Your reptile is enjoyable to watch and I do agree about B3 being able to out footsie just outside of sweep distance as well as micro ducking throw attempts (even though that's not unique to reptile.) I'm wondering if you would have had a harder time dealing with Liu if he was using Motaro or Kung Lao as opposed to Stryker....