What's new

Matchup Based Tier List and Chart

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
The big collaborative matchup chart that tends to come out towards the end of a games life is finally here, and as usual, it's got some pretty interesting results.

Here's the matchup chart and the tier list based on it. More information about who all worked as character representatives, how they compiled matchup scores, and the exact score values are in the tweet itself. Specifically, these aren't individual opinions. Every other corresponding character representative had to come to an agreement.

REO

Undead
Just gonna comment on the two characters I've played the most.

Mileena doesn't get counter picked by Erron Black, Rambo, Sindel, Terminator, Raiden, Cetrion, or Cassie. Her three worst match ups are definitely Fujin, Jade, and Kotal Kahn. In which I agree that those three beat her 6-4. All the other characters listed as beating her 6-4 I disagree with. Also Liu Kang, Joker, Geras, and Jacqui beating her 6-4 is very debatable because she has the spacing and movement to fight them and NONE of these match ups feel half as annoying to fight as Fujin, Jade, and Kotal do.

I don't think Erron Black loses to Raiden, Rambo, Sheeva, or Robocop. Those are 5-5 at worst for him. Some things that don't make sense to me are how characters like Cetrion / Jacqui are listed as beating both Erron Black and Mileena as 6-4, BUT fighting Cetrion and Jacqui with Mileena is WAY easier than compared to fighting those two with Erron Black. Erron Black's air control, movement, and footsies are horrendous. Mileena excels at movement and has above average anti-airs and air control which is why characters like Cetrion, Jacqui, etc. will NEVER give her as much as a hard time as characters like Erron have to deal with. This is easily the reason why I think Mileena goes even with characters like Cetrion. Fighting them with Mileena is so much more bearable than having to do it with a character like Erron Black that unfortunately got over nerfed a bit.

I guess when you play two to three characters and switch around them to feel out different match ups, it really gives you the perspective on which characters just feel better and play smoother in some match ups. I would comment on Noob Saibot but I don't have half as much hours with him as I do with Erron Black / Mileena. Really cool list. Hope to see it get more fleshed out and accurate in the upcoming years similar to how the MK9 one ended up becoming.

Second Saint

Just gonna comment on the two characters I've played the most.

Mileena doesn't get counter picked by Erron Black, Rambo, Sindel, Terminator, Raiden, Cetrion, or Cassie. Her three worst match ups are definitely Fujin, Jade, and Kotal Kahn. In which I agree that those three beat her 6-4. All the other characters listed as beating her 6-4 I disagree with. Also Liu Kang, Joker, Geras, and Jacqui beating her 6-4 is very debatable because she has the spacing and movement to fight them and NONE of these match ups feel half as annoying to fight as Fujin, Jade, and Kotal do.

I don't think Erron Black loses to Raiden, Rambo, Sheeva, or Robocop. Those are 5-5 at worst for him. Some things that don't make sense to me are how characters like Cetrion / Jacqui are listed as beating both Erron Black and Mileena as 6-4, BUT fighting Cetrion and Jacqui with Mileena is WAY easier than compared to fighting those two with Erron Black. Erron Black's air control, movement, and footsies are horrendous. Mileena excels at movement and has above average anti-airs and air control which is why characters like Cetrion, Jacqui, etc. will NEVER give her as much as a hard time as characters like Erron have to deal with. This is easily the reason why I think Mileena goes even with characters like Cetrion. Fighting them with Mileena is so much more bearable than having to do it with a character like Erron Black that unfortunately got over nerfed a bit.

I guess when you play two to three characters and switch around them to feel out different match ups, it really gives you the perspective on which characters just feel better and play smoother in some match ups. I would comment on Noob Saibot but I don't have half as much hours with him as I do with Erron Black / Mileena. Really cool list. Hope to see it get more fleshed out and accurate in the upcoming years similar to how the MK9 one ended up becoming.
Yeah, there's a lot of discussion going around Twitter about it, which is great, since it can only lead to a more fleshed out list.

Also, if you go into the details of the representatives, it seems that 3 characters didn't have one. Shao Kahn, Milleena, and D'vorah.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Apparently a lot of the matchups were decided before the final patch. I saw them explain that on Twitter, since Sheeva's chart is based on her pre-nerf stomp. So, as always, take the list with an enormous grain of salt, as many of the listed matchups are no longer accurate.

Second Saint

I really only disagree with a few of D'vorah's matchups, and a few others I could be talked into.

There's no way D'vorah beats Kitana, I just don't see that at all. Honestly, I don't think D'vorah has any winning matchups. Just a lot of 5-5's and more than a couple losing matchups.

I think 5-5 with Fujin is optimistic, but I've only played one high level Fujin in an extended set, so there could be strategies I'm missing. His movement and keepaway are very effective against D'vorah while having total safety up close that resets him to neutral at worst.

I've always considered Jade a 5-5 matchup, but I can see a 4-6. We control a lot of the same spaces on the ground in mid range, but air glaives are an incredible tool that can't be teleported on reaction (at least for me), and glow can negate strep setups and pressure, though tbh this rarely comes into play for me. Just...don't do that if she's purple.

Not sure how Kano vs D'vorah is a 4-6, so I'd need that one explained to me. Yeah, he's got good pressure, but that doesn't mean I lose the matchup. What specifically here is why D'vorah loses?

The Robocop 5-5 I find interesting because those numbers were given by Sooneo, but in his own Robocop matchup chart he lists it as 5.5-4.5 in Robo's favor, so I guess they rounded up.

And if I changed all those numbers, she'd just be down 1 point. Overall, in about the same place.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
The ones I’d change for Dvorah would be Fujin (4-6), Jade (5-5), Johnny (4-6), Kabal (5-5), Kano (5-5), Kitana (5-5), Noob (5-5), Robocop (4-6) and Shao (6-4)
She’s probably the most honest character in the game tbh, most of her mus are even and have just a few losing ones. Outside of Shao (which they probably just put 5-5 cuz they had no representative for either of em) I don’t see she beating anyone else.

Even tho I know this isn’t definitive of anything, and I haven’t even looked at who exactly created the list yet lol, I just wanna say I’ve been saying jade was top and Baraka was bottom for years now. Since like day one almost.

as a professional Baraka down player I am a mixed bag of emotions right now lol.

But also as a part time Rain downplayer I disagree vehemently.

And lol at Kano he reaaaallly seems to bounce around on these tier lists.